+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trans rights, do you care?

Trans rights, do you care?

Just been listening to a New Statesman podcast where some interesting polling about general attitudes of the public was discussed. It probably doesn’t come as a surprise to learn that the political classes are out of step with the public to a large degree. For example, a large minority (45%) are in favour of the death penalty and around twice as many are regarded as socially “authoritarian” as there are those who are socially liberal.

Despite this, the culture wars approach favoured by many Conservative politicians is not really registering because people are being influenced mainly by the economy- immigration is not the issue it was, neither is Brexit and, apparently the trans rights issue barely figures at all.

I must admit I was reassured to hear that last bit. I think those who read the politics threads on here would not be surprised to learn that I think of myself as left leaning, in the minority who’d be classed as socially liberal and a supporter of gay rights, racial equality etc. However, the trans issue does not register with me at all. That probably doesn’t cast me in a very good light, but I’m sorry, it’s something that I cannot get very worked up about at all - it would seem I’m not alone in feeling like that.

Re: Trans rights, do you care?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just been listening to a New Statesman podcast where some interesting polling about general attitudes of the public was discussed. It probably doesn’t come as a surprise to learn that the political classes are out of step with the public to a large degree. For example, a large minority (45%) are in favour of the death penalty and around twice as many are regarded as socially “authoritarian” as there are those who are socially liberal.

Despite this, the culture wars approach favoured by many Conservative politicians is not really registering because people are being influenced mainly by the economy- immigration is not the issue it was, neither is Brexit and, apparently the trans rights issue barely figures at all.

I must admit I was reassured to hear that last bit. I think those who read the politics threads on here would not be surprised to learn that I think of myself as left leaning, in the minority who’d be classed as socially liberal and a supporter of gay rights, racial equality etc. However, the trans issue does not register with me at all. That probably doesn’t cast me in a very good light, but I’m sorry, it’s something that I cannot get very worked up about at all - it would seem I’m not alone in feeling like that.
    I don't think the politicians care either, they just get political mileage out of it, and anybody who doesn't go along with it will be done for.

It's easy not to be interested in things that don't affect us personally but politicians are involved with issues that affect people across the board.

People should be free to live their life as they see fit, but that does not mean they get to impact others lives. On the main forum is a thread about German women's football, and the first trans woman playing in that league. The footballer in question makes noises about their lack of height, strength and speed, so the difference between male and female athletes is clearly an issue they are aware about. What I found ironic was that the footballer didn't feel comfortable playing the game with men, but will not acknowledge that some women won't feel comfortable playing the game against them.

It is a difficult situation, because you want the trans community to be as inclusive as possible, but their rights shouldn't trump everyone else's, and it is the latter point which causes the issue.

However, the amount of media coverage given to this issue is disproportionate to how this manifests in everyday life. Trans people must make up 1% of 1% of the total population, so the likelihood of encountering anyone who is trans is probably quite slim.

People should be free to live as they like.

And equally, I shouldn't have to care about absolutely everything and everyone.

The trans thing doesn't register with me either, I'm not against it, but like Bob the whole thing doesn't register.

To many on here it seems to be the most important issue. Corruption, the economy, climate change doesn't matter over trans rights, I guess that's because that's what right wing newspapers are banging on about because they know 'culture wars' is all they have left.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    To many on here it seems to be the most important issue. Corruption, the economy, climate change doesn't matter over trans rights, I guess that's because that's what right wing newspapers are banging on about because they know 'culture wars' is all they have left.
    I don't think it's right wing newspapers going on about trans rights! 🤣

I care. In as much as I care that everyone should be able to be themselves and try and lead a happy and peaceful life. I have always had a 'live and let live' attitude and anyone who threatens that with abuse is totally out of order.

I also care because it is now a hot political issue and I like politics. So even if it isn't a top issue for me, one has to form an opinion.

I do think it is talked about too much and is a bit of a distraction in many respects. I also think there is a worryingly radical side to some parts of the debate that needs reigning in somewhat.

But no, it's very very far down my list of concerns

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I care. In as much as I care that everyone should be able to be themselves and try and lead a happy and peaceful life. I have always had a 'live and let live' attitude and anyone who threatens that with abuse is totally out of order.

I also care because it is now a hot political issue and I like politics. So even if it isn't a top issue for me, one has to form an opinion.

I do think it is talked about too much and is a bit of a distraction in many respects. I also think there is a worryingly radical side to some parts of the debate that needs reigning in somewhat.

But no, it's very very far down my list of concerns
    The polling I referred to said it was anything but a hot political issue - that was the point, I have little interest in the subject and it would appear most people feel the same way.

The polling I referred to said it was anything but a hot political issue - that was the point, I have little interest in the subject and it would appear most people feel the same way.
    I suspect that's the case. But there are a lot of things that 'make a lot of noise' but actually don't really affect peoples lives that much in practice.

I do agree though, I think it is all overblown and over emphasised. It's essentially cost Sturgeon her job which is crazy. Sensibly politicians would be wise to not get overly involved in it all I think.

I don't even read the news. It's mad what people assume isn't it

This "trans" thing is like people getting worked up because "it's being called Winter Holiday and not Christmas any more" or "if you say you're English they lock you up nowadays". What a load of old codswallop!

44 articles in the past 7 days on the daily mail website speaking about transgender people in a negative way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    This "trans" thing is like people getting worked up because "it's being called Winter Holiday and not Christmas any more" or "if you say you're English they lock you up nowadays". What a load of old codswallop!
    On the other hand, it may be akin to the campaign for rights and equality for homosexuals in the 1960s and thereafter. Another calibration of our society in regard of a minority who consider themselves marginalised, ignored and/or discriminated against.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    On the other hand, it may be akin to the campaign for rights and equality for homosexuals in the 1960s and thereafter. Another calibration of our society in regard of a minority who consider themselves marginalised, ignored and/or discriminated against.
    Yes agree I meant people getting worked up about he/she/it/they pronouns is nonsensical. I'm all in favour of trans rights and people should never be abused. We like to think gender is "safely and simply" binary but for those people locked into the wrong body because of a biological aberration it must be a living hell.

Yes agree I meant people getting worked up about he/she/it/they pronouns is nonsensical. I'm all in favour of trans rights and people should never be abused. We like to think gender is "safely and simply" binary but for those people locked into the wrong body because of a biological aberration it must be a living hell.
    Indeed. Getting worked up over pronouns is daft, although no one should have to display them.

That's not the issue though is it; it's about toilets, female safe spaces, women's rights, mental health of young people, whether transitioning can be reversed, radicalisation, language, inclusivity.

There's a whole host of issues that I can understand people have strong feelings about and there is a lot of politics and social issues at play even if many of us are largely unaffected or don't have strong feelings on it.

The right try to turn very isolated situations into major issues and political hot potatoes.
    The left try their very best not to get burnt by the potatoes.

While certain sections of the media and politics try to get people pissed off about the potatoes.
    Meanwhile the massive majority of the general public are not bothered and think "live and let live"

Much the same as the boats, and pretty sad that the country somehow gets focused on very small minorities and issues that actually, on a day to day, don't affect them. I guess at least it distracts people from not being able to afford potatoes.

Indeed. Getting worked up over pronouns is daft, although no one should have to display them.

That's not the issue though is it; it's about toilets, female safe spaces, women's rights, mental health of young people, whether transitioning can be reversed, radicalisation, language, inclusivity.

There's a whole host of issues that I can understand people have strong feelings about and there is a lot of politics and social issues at play even if many of us are largely unaffected or don't have strong feelings on it.
    You're right, the issue is about toilets!

A) They're never clean enough and
    B) How come they're always locked when you're out and about and you're desperate for a p**s?

B) How come they're always locked when you're out and about and you're desperate for a p**s?
    This is a much bigger subject that far more people should be getting worked up about.

You're right, the issue is about toilets!

A) They're never clean enough and
    Just go in the urinal you big weirdo!

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    44 articles in the past 7 days on the daily mail website speaking about transgender people in a negative way.
    i wonder if that's because of a school shooting by a 'trans' woman, probly not

Just go in the urinal you big weirdo!
    Fair point but no good when I want a s**t!

Fair point but no good when I want a s**t!
    Doesn't make a difference if Ur in the Kings Castle or Canton Cross

The non-binary personal pronoun situation is causing mayhem in some languages. There are over 20 different words currently in circulation in German-speaking countries regarding what English language speakers refer to as the non-binary 'they/them'.

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    i wonder if that's because of a school shooting by a 'trans' woman, probly not
    I'd say about 20 of them were. But you're in utter denial if you don't think the dailymail posts negative stories about transgender people almost daily.