+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is there anyway the embargo can be lifted?

SuperBluebirds91

Is there anyway the embargo can be lifted?

I am not that familiar with all the rules but is it basically here to stay until next summer or is there anyway we can get it lifted. I’m not saying we will splash the cash big time anyway but it’s really hampering us. This summer we could do with having a big overhaul and bringing in much better quality in some places but we can’t.

It does seem abit harsh having this embargo for a year and half. With no spending for a year and a half does that mean when we final are allowed to spend we can spend a huge wad (without breaching the rules of course).we definitely won’t have spent beyond our means on new players!

Re: Is there anyway the embargo can be lifted?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBluebirds91 View Post
    I am not that familiar with all the rules but is it basically here to stay until next summer or is there anyway we can get it lifted. I’m not saying we will splash the cash big time anyway but it’s really hampering us. This summer we could do with having a big overhaul and bringing in much better quality in some places but we can’t.

It does seem abit harsh having this embargo for a year and half. With no spending for a year and a half does that mean when we final are allowed to spend we can spend a huge wad (without breaching the rules of course).we definitely won’t have spent beyond our means on new players!
    We refused to pay, and to some extent continue to refuse to pay, a transfer fee. Seems pretty fair to me

The embargo is all of our own making - the club were told what to do and when to do it by - they chose to ignore the instructions. I m afraid CCFC are not making things easy for themselves. It is no use people saying "it's not fair".... We broke rules and are being punished and penalised for our actions.

The answer to the question posed is 'yes': by settling an existing debt regarding a player purchase.

It's a 3 window ban from paying any fees because we were under the embargo for more than 30 days, so we could have avoided it by paying the first installment before the 30 days was up.
    2 windows of that are left, so we can't pay any transfer or loan fees until summer 2024. Dalman was confident it would be lifted in January but it wasn't, so it probably won't be now.
    Be interesting to see whether the same rule applies to the other teams currently under embargo for over 30 days (Reading & Sheffield United). Reading are there for a different reason so it might be different, but Sheffield is for breaching the same regulation as us I think. Would make it very difficult for them going up to the premier league.

I doubt we would be spending anyway.
    It's probably worked out quite conveniently for Tan at the moment, as he can blame the embargo for not showing any ambition with signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    It's a 3 window ban from paying any fees because we were under the embargo for more than 30 days, so we could have avoided it by paying the first installment before the 30 days was up.
    2 windows of that are left, so we can't pay any transfer or loan fees until summer 2024. Dalman was confident it would be lifted in January but it wasn't, so it probably won't be now.
    Be interesting to see whether the same rule applies to the other teams currently under embargo for over 30 days (Reading & Sheffield United). Reading are there for a different reason so it might be different, but Sheffield is for breaching the same regulation as us I think. Would make it very difficult for them going up to the premier league.
    Good post, sadly I think experience has taught us that Dalman being confident something is going to happen is far from a guarantee that it will.

For me,, the part of your post I've4 highlighted gets to the heart of the matter - why on earth didn't City pay within thirty days so that the embargo could be fully lifted? The most obvious conclusion to draw is that they were unaware of the full extent of the rules of the embargo and assumed that when they paid the first third of the fee they'd be able to pay fees for players again - otherwise paying what we did seems to make little sense.

I'd much rather be able to post positive things about the Messrs Tan, Dalman and Choo, but it doesn't half look as if they've messed up again.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Good post, sadly I think experience has taught us that Dalman being confident something is going to happen is far from a guarantee that it will.

For me,, the part of your post I've4 highlighted gets to the heart of the matter - why on earth didn't City pay within thirty days so that the embargo could be fully lifted? The most obvious conclusion to draw is that they were unaware of the full extent of the rules of the embargo and assumed that when they paid the first third of the fee they'd be able to pay fees for players again - otherwise paying what we did seems to make little sense.

I'd much rather be able to post positive things about the Messrs Tan, Dalman and Choo, but it doesn't half look as if they've messed up again.
    Might just be the money wasn’t available at the time. By the time they’d scrambled it together, it was too late

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Might just be the money wasn’t available at the time. By the time they’d scrambled it together, it was too late
    I think they were still pursuing different legal options at the time, which would have been undermined by paying the fee, either that or they weren't aware of the additional EFL 30 day rule.

Cardiff City with money to spend on transfers and wages doesn't automatically bring the phrase 'guaranteed success' to mind. Without it, and an embargo in place, it'll be downhill all the way.

why on earth didn't City pay within thirty days so that the embargo could be fully lifted? The most obvious conclusion to draw is that they were unaware of the full extent of the rules of the embargo and assumed that when they paid the first third of the fee they'd be able to pay fees for players again - otherwise paying what we did seems to make little sense.
    Probably right. To be fair I'd never heard of an embargo being partially lifted in that way, but then I'm not running a football club.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Cardiff City with money to spend on transfers and wages doesn't automatically bring the phrase 'guaranteed success' to mind. Without it, and an embargo in place, it'll be downhill all the way.
    Those in charge should rightfully receive recognition for the situation they've left us in.

They stumble from one bad decision to another. Its alright though, don't protest it might upset some of our players.
    Worked for us against the Jacks. What a full blooded effort!

Or they may have received legal advice indicating that paying anything would've been an admission we were fully liable for the fee. Who knows?

We have not been reported as under an embargo for several weeks now.
    All other clubs appear ?

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/embargoes/

Quote Originally Posted by fred keenor View Post
    All other clubs appear ?

Interesting.

Probably an error.

If not surely the club’s well oiled communication department would have put out a statement by now?

Or those razor sharp journalists at WOL would have been all over it?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Interesting.

Probably an error.

If not surely the club’s well oiled communication department would have put out a statement by now?

Or those razor sharp journalists at WOL would have been all over it?

Quote Originally Posted by fred keenor View Post
    All other clubs appear ?

It might be that CCFC are only under a partial embargo? We can sign players but just not allowed by the EFL to pay any transfer or compensation fees and were therefore restricted to bringing in loan players or players who were out of contract.

That might explain things?

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet of Doom View Post
    It might be that CCFC are only under a partial embargo? We can sign players but just not allowed by the EFL to pay any transfer or compensation fees and were therefore restricted to bringing in loan players or players who were out of contract.

That might explain things?
    Doesn't that apply to some of the clubs that are on the published list?

There was talk of taking the EFL to court.Restraint of Trade.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    If the club has spent more on legal fees than it would have cost to pay Nantes, then we deserve everything we get.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Course there is. That’s the club’s answer to everything, costly and fruitless court action

They love a Court date that's for sure.

I wish they were as enthusiastic about EFL deadlines. Cheaper too.