+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wrexham

International

Re: Wrexham

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    now that was a Hollywood finish for you!
    Look forward to the follow-up series, if only they'd got an American Manager it would be like a real-life nonleague Ted Lasso.

International

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Just watched the wrexham v notts game ...both teams would smash the crap out of our lot.
    They couldn't that's the thing, they look good because they are in an amateur League.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    They couldn't that's the thing, they look good because they are in an amateur League.
    All but 2 of the clubs are professional and about half have played in the EFL at some point over the last 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I agree they wouldn't "smash" City. Judging on their performances against Coventry and Sheffield United I'd fancy the gogs to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I agree they wouldn't "smash" City. Judging on their performances against Coventry and Sheffield United I'd fancy the gogs to win.
    Cup games mean very little. Sheffield and Coventry both played heavily rotated teams and were both down to 10 men for most of the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Cup games mean very little. Sheffield and Coventry both played heavily rotated teams and were both down to 10 men for most of the second half.
    Neither put out heavily rotated teams. Goalkeeper and Ndiaye (who came on) aside Sheffield Utd played their firsts, the only big name missing for Coventry was Gyokeres (who came on after half an hour)

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Neither put out heavily rotated teams. Goalkeeper and Ndiaye (who came on) aside Sheffield Utd played their firsts, the only big name missing for Coventry was Gyokeres (who came on after half an hour)
    Checking the starting line ups. For Coventry Moore has 4 starts all season. Burroughs 5, Tavares 2, Waghorn 4, Kelly’s only start of the season was the Wrexham game.

That’s including all the games they’ve played since too. 5 of their starting line up have 16 starts between them all season. Only 3 players started the Wrexham game out of Coventry’s top 10 appearance holders.

I’ll take your word on the Sheffield game, from the line ups I recognise most of the names.

Cup games still don’t mean much in terms of quality. There’s always upsets and as bad as we are, if we played Wrexham 10 times I’m confident we’d only lose once or twice. They’re a top end League 2 team.

Checking the starting line ups. For Coventry Moore has 4 starts all season. Burroughs 5, Tavares 2, Waghorn 4, Kelly’s only start of the season was the Wrexham game.

That’s including all the games they’ve played since too. 5 of their starting line up have 16 starts between them all season. Only 3 players started the Wrexham game out of Coventry’s top 10 appearance holders.

I’ll take your word on the Sheffield game, from the line ups I recognise most of the names.

Cup games still don’t mean much in terms of quality. There’s always upsets and as bad as we are, if we played Wrexham 10 times I’m confident we’d only lose once or twice. They’re a top end League 2 team.
    Bidwell, Palmer, Rose, Panzo, Dabo & Sheaf are all first team players for Coventry, Gyokeres, O'Hare, Allen & Hamer all came on with plenty of the game to go, that's practically their first team, goalkeeper aside. I guess we have different view on what a heavily rotated side is but Coventry put out a good side against Wrexham and still got beat, I doubt our lot would be particularly comfortable against Wrexham at the minute

Interesting you have the gogs as a top end League 2 team.

Where do you see City at?

Genuine question.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I feel conflicted about the Wrexham 'revival'

I think it's a nice story and like the attention Wales is getting is positive

Also, being a previous avid Wales away supporter, city and Wrexham have always gotten on well.

However, I am petty and childish enough to still remember our battles with them in the 4th division and the injury Gary Bennett caused to Carl Dale which effectively ended his career with us (he was never the same).

Also, I'm also a little jealous of how engaged their owners are in the project while ours seem to bounce from one problem to another.

Overall - I hope they go up, but I wouldn't lose sleep if they don't continue to shoot up the leagues after this season.

I’m the opposite to you regarding Wrexham at Wales away games , as my lot were involved in a big row with them in Belgium in 1992 and we ended up being deported on the ferry with them. I’ve always thought they were sly and used to try it on when they had superior numbers.

So from that perspective I want Notts County to go up and in my eyes they are the bigger club.

Bidwell, Palmer, Rose, Panzo, Dabo & Sheaf are all first team players for Coventry, Gyokeres, O'Hare, Allen & Hamer all came on with plenty of the game to go, that's practically their first team, goalkeeper aside. I guess we have different view on what a heavily rotated side is but Coventry put out a good side against Wrexham and still got beat, I doubt our lot would be particularly comfortable against Wrexham at the minute
    In our home tie against Leeds, Bagan, Sang, Alnwick, Davies and Simpson all started. Those 5 have nearly double the number of starts compared to the 5 from Coventry I mentioned. I wouldn’t consider any of them first team players.

If Wrexham were in the Championship they’d finish dead last. In the Coventry and Sheffield game, despite being a man up, you could see towards the end the Wrexham players were fading a lot. If it was still 11v11 going into the last 20-25mins I don’t think Wrexham would’ve won either tie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Interesting you have the gogs as a top end League 2 team.

Where do you see City at?

Genuine question.
    With the squad we’ve got, lower to mid table Championship.

Despite being in a relegation battle our defence has been surprisingly alright. It’s our woeful attack that’s let us down big time.

If we’d had Kaba all season, Philogene hadn’t taken so long to become good and Robinson hadn’t missed so many games, I think we’d be comfortably clear of relegation at this stage of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I’m the opposite to you regarding Wrexham at Wales away games , as my lot were involved in a big row with them in Belgium in 1992 and we ended up being deported on the ferry with them. I’ve always thought they were sly and used to try it on when they had superior numbers.

So from that perspective I want Notts County to go up and in my eyes they are the bigger club.
    "My lot"

Are you a big time hoolie?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    "My lot"

Are you a big time hoolie?
    Shut up you knob

In our home tie against Leeds, Bagan, Sang, Alnwick, Davies and Simpson all started. Those 5 have nearly double the number of starts compared to the 5 from Coventry I mentioned. I wouldn’t consider any of them first team players.

If Wrexham were in the Championship they’d finish dead last. In the Coventry and Sheffield game, despite being a man up, you could see towards the end the Wrexham players were fading a lot. If it was still 11v11 going into the last 20-25mins I don’t think Wrexham would’ve won either tie.
    Simpson, for all his faults, is pretty regularly in our matchday squad and has 15 league appearances, I'd say that's a first team player and he makes up the bulk of the starts between the 5 you mentioned. Burroughs has 12 league appearances for Coventry, Waghorn has 11, Tavares has 9, Kelly has 6 and they then brought on the rest of their first team with plenty of time left.

Wrexham did well against strong teams put out by Coventry and Sheffield United, I don't think that's particularly controversial. Of course they tired, but with the way we start games they could well be out of sight by then if we were to play them!

Shut up you knob
    It was a genuine question,as that's generally how people speak, having been around it

"My lot" was part of the terminology.

I was only asking. No need to get so touchy.

I might know you. Who knows.

https://twitter.com/vancityreynolds/..._lyuXw0mx1d1kA

The Wrexham lot are having a ball with these two in charge

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    It was a genuine question,as that's generally how people speak, having been around it

"My lot" was part of the terminology.

I was only asking. No need to get so touchy.

I might know you. Who knows.
    Fair enough , sorry, To be honest during the late 80’s/90’s it was most away games were full of incidents but those days are long gone thankfully.

Celebrity 'fans' (aka mates of the owners):

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...pport-26679301

John Cleese?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Celebrity 'fans' (aka mates of the owners):

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...pport-26679301

John Cleese?
    I remember reading something about Jason Watkins being at Wrexham briefly as a kid

Opps blue tone posts it earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Tone View Post
    https://twitter.com/vancityreynolds/..._lyuXw0mx1d1kA

The Wrexham lot are having a ball with these two in charge
    you are right, its football and its fun to be part of, whats not to like

Simpson, for all his faults, is pretty regularly in our matchday squad and has 15 league appearances, I'd say that's a first team player and he makes up the bulk of the starts between the 5 you mentioned. Burroughs has 12 league appearances for Coventry, Waghorn has 11, Tavares has 9, Kelly has 6 and they then brought on the rest of their first team with plenty of time left.

Wrexham did well against strong teams put out by Coventry and Sheffield United, I don't think that's particularly controversial. Of course they tired, but with the way we start games they could well be out of sight by then if we were to play them!
    I wouldn’t consider 9 starts and 6 sub appearances a first team player personally.

Coventry have played 43 games, I wouldn’t consider players who’ve made <12 appearances including subs as first team players.

Gavin Whyte has 15 appearances this season and I forgot he existed. Watters has 11. I’d be hesitant to say Colwill is a first team player. He may have 20 appearances but he’s only started 4 games all season.

Wrexham’s results against Coventry and Sheffield were brilliant, I’m not denying that and they deserve all the praise for it. But that doesn’t make them a Championship quality team. They got some freak results in the cup. Grimsby did the same beating Luton and Southampton.

Fair enough , sorry, To be honest during the late 80’s/90’s it was most away games were full of incidents but those days are long gone thankfully.
    Was all over, bar a few one offs like spurs in the cup, and the odd away, by the time I took an interest. Was mainly just fat bald blokes meeting for a piss up pre game hoping something would happen. Late teens and early to mid 20s before I realised it was all a waste of time!

Different times back then, probably harder to avoid trouble even for those that didn't want it.

With the squad we’ve got, lower to mid table Championship.

Despite being in a relegation battle our defence has been surprisingly alright. It’s our woeful attack that’s let us down big time.

If we’d had Kaba all season, Philogene hadn’t taken so long to become good and Robinson hadn’t missed so many games, I think we’d be comfortably clear of relegation at this stage of the season.
    If City still weren't piissing about with relegation I'd agree with most of that.

I got Wrexham probably being League 1 standard and City if I'm honest.

City already have hope of staying up next year with Brum getting 6 points deducted which should help them out.