+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pot Holes

Pot Holes

Been driving around alot lately and have noticed an increase in pot holes on our roads

Not confined to a particular area but seems like most areas in the city

am i just more aware or it's been the same over a period of time ?

Re: Pot Holes

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Been driving around alot lately and have noticed an increase in pot holes on our roads

Not confined to a particular area but seems like most areas in the city

am i just more aware or it's been the same over a period of time ?
    Arnold will be over to fix them soon.

Definitely feels and look a lot worse this year.
    A combination of particularly wet weather last month, and the method of patching as a repair doesn't help.

I think it is a national problem after decades of underinvestment (especially since the 2010 Austerity Cult took charge) and a huge rise in traffic. Didn't Hunt throw a few quid at potholes in his recent budget?

In Sheffield the roads were amongst the worst of any city in the UK by the mid 2000s. The Council got into a 25 year PFI deal with Amey to renew and maintain the roads, verges, highway trees (leading to a very embarrassing 'tree scandal' that is still rumbling on). The first roads were re-surfaced in 2012. We live above the 'snow line' and are on a busy school and bus route - so more hammer than many - but the rate of deterioration of a 'new' road surface was shocking. Deep gouges, potholes and tons of gravel washing downhill. The road we live on has just been re-done for the second time since the original 2012 surfacing works (three times in under 12 years). It looks like another superficial, crap job to me that won't last 5 years. Is this the way all major contractors deal with roads now?

However, there is a 50m stretch of road just outside our house that was replaced by Yorkshire Water after a mains burst about 7-8 years ago with a different contractor and spec from Amey. It is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I think it is a national problem after decades of underinvestment (especially since the 2010 Austerity Cult took charge) and a huge rise in traffic. Didn't Hunt throw a few quid at potholes in his recent budget?

In Sheffield the roads were amongst the worst of any city in the UK by the mid 2000s. The Council got into a 25 year PFI deal with Amey to renew and maintain the roads, verges, highway trees (leading to a very embarrassing 'tree scandal' that is still rumbling on). The first roads were re-surfaced in 2012. We live above the 'snow line' and are on a busy school and bus route - so more hammer than many - but the rate of deterioration of a 'new' road surface was shocking. Deep gouges, potholes and tons of gravel washing downhill. The road we live on has just been re-done for the second time since the original 2012 surfacing works (three times in under 12 years). It looks like another superficial, crap job to me that won't last 5 years. Is this the way all major contractors deal with roads now?

However, there is a 50m stretch of road just outside our house that was replaced by Yorkshire Water after a mains burst about 7-8 years ago with a different contractor and spec from Amey. It is perfect.
    I think it's an endless problem. Generally fixed for the longer term by repaving the whole road which is clearly more expensive.

Three times in 12 years sounds excessive to me. What are you and your neighbours doing on that road for goodness sake?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think it's an endless problem. Generally fixed for the longer term by repaving the whole road which is clearly more expensive.

Three times in 12 years sounds excessive to me. What are you and your neighbours doing on that road for goodness sake?
    Mostly dodging potholes.

The patches are as bad as anywhere, but the crazy thing is the poor quality of full resurfacing works - twice.

But as I said above, Amey produce a crap job; Yorkshire Water a superb one. So it is down to spec and on site standards. Sheffield is stuck with a 25 year contract with a bunch of cowboys!

(They also have the bins contract).

Who does road repairs in Cardiff?

I read that Blackburn, Lancashire continues to have major problems in this regard!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I read that Blackburn, Lancashire continues to have major problems in this regard!
    Four thousand of them I understand.

Four thousand of them I understand.
    The number of them could be reduced by joining many of them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The number of them could be reduced by joining many of them up.
    Yes but that is part of the WEF pot hole master plan for making car use impossible, forcing people onto public transport, and altering their brains with evil transmissions from what only look like fire extinguishers.

Voting for politicians that cut services makes infrastructure worse shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Voting for politicians that cut services makes infrastructure worse shocker.
    Thank God we have no potholes in Cardiff! Phew!

Mostly dodging potholes.

The patches are as bad as anywhere, but the crazy thing is the poor quality of full resurfacing works - twice.

But as I said above, Amey produce a crap job; Yorkshire Water a superb one. So it is down to spec and on site standards. Sheffield is stuck with a 25 year contract with a bunch of cowboys!

(They also have the bins contract).

Who does road repairs in Cardiff?
    Council I believe. May be subbed out though.

Quite a bit of stuff around the Bay was done under PFI I believe

Thank God we have no potholes in Cardiff! Phew!
    And who've cut council budgets/Welsh Government budgets drastically across the UK..

I mean this is basic stuff that I shouldn't have to say.

And who've cut council budgets/Welsh Government budgets drastically across the UK..

I mean this is basic stuff that I shouldn't have to say.
    You need to hold our local councils and Welsh Govt to account far more in my opinion.

They have tax raising powers, they set budgets. Austerity is (of course) part of the biggest picture but just blaming the UK Govt let's them off the hook entirely. You let them get away with it essentially.

You need to hold our local councils and Welsh Govt to account far more in my opinion.

They have tax raising powers, they set budgets. Austerity is (of course) part of the biggest picture but just blaming the UK Govt let's them off the hook entirely. You let them get away with it essentially.
    Tell me, exactly what taxes could the Welsh Government raise that they have power over that wouldn't damage the economy? Councils budgets have been decimated since 2010 I don't know what people expect.

Income taxes? That would be disastrous to the average person right now.

Council tax? The same as above.

Do you know what the UK government could do? Close tax loopholes that benefit the mega wealthy, increase capital gains tax, increase taxes on the mega wealthy who've gotten richer and richer as all our public services fail.

Tell me, exactly what taxes could the Welsh Government raise that they have power over that wouldn't damage the economy? Councils budgets have been decimated since 2010 I don't know what people expect.

Income taxes? That would be disastrous to the average person right now.

Council tax? The same as above.

Do you know what the UK government could do? Close tax loopholes that benefit the mega wealthy, increase capital gains tax, increase taxes on the mega wealthy who've gotten richer and richer as all our public services fail.
    Right, so you want the UK Government to raise taxes and potentially damage the economy, and you will rage at them for not doing so, but you don't want the Welsh Govt or Local Authorities to do the same?

In terms of what the UK Govt could do, I don't entirely disagree with you, although when it came to the real life Lineker situation, I don't recollect you slamming that tax loophole? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't think you should stop calling out things the UK govt couold do to make things better, but I do think you (and thousands like you) could call out what the Welsh Govt and Local Authorities could also do, instead of giving them a free pass.

"blaming Westminster" for everything isnt goode enough. It doesn't help improve public services here one jot

Right, so you want the UK Government to raise taxes and potentially damage the economy, and you will rage at them for not doing so, but you don't want the Welsh Govt or Local Authorities to do the same?

In terms of what the UK Govt could do, I don't entirely disagree with you, although when it came to the real life Lineker situation, I don't recollect you slamming that tax loophole? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't think you should stop calling out things the UK govt couold do to make things better, but I do think you (and thousands like you) could call out what the Welsh Govt and Local Authorities could also do, instead of giving them a free pass.

"blaming Westminster" for everything isnt goode enough. It doesn't help improve public services here one jot
    There is a key difference, I said income taxes for welsh government and capital gains for the UK, Welsh Government cannot raise capital gains only Westminster can. Capital gains mostly effects the wealthiest far more than the average person. In other countries such as the US this is much higher and their economy doesn't seem to be damaged.

I'm not giving the Welsh Government a free pass, I'm talking about the realities of the situation, they do not have the same power Westminster has.

I don't remember what the Lineker tax avoidance was but I think anyone who is that wealthy and does it is scum.

There is a key difference, I said income taxes for welsh government and capital gains for the UK, Welsh Government cannot raise capital gains only Westminster can. Capital gains mostly effects the wealthiest far more than the average person. In other countries such as the US this is much higher and their economy doesn't seem to be damaged.

I'm not giving the Welsh Government a free pass, I'm talking about the realities of the situation, they do not have the same power Westminster has.

I don't remember what the Lineker tax avoidance was but I think anyone who is that wealthy and does it is scum.
    I generally agree with you on things like capital gains tax - I have very little time for that form of gambling. But it's not risk free, there are economic consequences of taxing that arena and big risks involved.

Welsh Govt could raise taxes if they wish. Moreover,. I just think we need to scrutinize the Welsh Govt far more in this country. They've been on power for 24 years and continue to dine out on a 'blame Westminster' excuse.

It's not good enough.

just read this properly

just to put you in the picture there are no loopholes regarding the lineker situation james. he would be squeaky clean there is no way you can fool the system when you run your own company .

HMRC look at cases on an individual basis when you work like this . they determind how you run your business and the tax you pay there are no loop holes !! i did side with HMRC with this case mind he should have paid the full whack but i guess he's the media darling

you are right regarding the welsh government can raise taxes . just look at the alcohol tax they put on a few years ago . used to save me a fortune when working in England !

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    just read this properly

just to put you in the picture there are no loopholes regarding the lineker situation james. he would be squeaky clean there is no way you can fool the system when you run your own company .

HMRC look at cases on an individual basis when you work like this . they determind how you run your business and the tax you pay there are no loop holes !! i did side with HMRC with this case mind he should have paid the full whack but i guess he's the media darling

you are right regarding the welsh government can raise taxes . just look at the alcohol tax they put on a few years ago . used to save me a fortune when working in England !
    What I mean is that when people talk about loopholes and tax avoidance etc they are normally talking about the kind of thing that Lineker does to reduce the tax he pays - yet in this case few on the left seemed to speak out against it. Loopholes by definition are nearly always legal, irrespective of the industry, are they not?

Yeah, I just think lots of people in Wales give the Welsh Govt and councils free pass and that helps no one. We should scrutinize them far more because in many cases they make very poor decisions

Welsh Govt could raise taxes if they wish.
    What taxes should they increase?

What I mean is that when people talk about loopholes and tax avoidance etc they are normally talking about the kind of thing that Lineker does to reduce the tax he pays - yet in this case few on the left seemed to speak out against it. Loopholes by definition are nearly always legal, irrespective of the industry, are they not?
    So so close to getting it.