+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else there that night ?

Re: Anyone else there that night ?

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    one of my earliest memories trudging down ninian park . was in the canton stand

I was there.

Malcolm Allison had said we didn't get the support Palace did. That no doubt helped.

Was there and the and the game before , away to Alisons Palace .

We were behind the goals and you could but a pint lol .

Halcyon away days, real tough encounters on and off the pitch .

Best song of the day was
    " scrubber fecker " as old Malcom was alledgly popping one into a certain lady celebrity at the time ?

Big crowds for working folk and affordable prices allowed big crowds walk ups , even for the poorest, which we were ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Was there and the and the game before , away to Alisons Palace .

We were behind the goals and you could but a pint lol .

Halcyon away days, real tough encounters on and off the pitch .

Best song of the day was
    " scrubber fecker " as old Malcom was alledgly popping one into a certain lady celebrity at the time ?

Big crowds for working folk and affordable prices allowed big crowds walk ups , even for the poorest, which we were ?
    We had great away support that day, jam packed in an open end (before they put a roof on it)

Enclosure, Canton stand side.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    I was there with my friend from high school, his dad and grandad.

It’s funny how the passage of time plays tricks on personal memories, because for some reason I seem to think that we were stood in the bob bank… but if the grange-end was still the home end back then, then we would have been in the grange-end.

Does anyone know when the grange-end got rebuilt? Then I will know when we moved to the bob bank.
    looking at this footage from May 1978 going through its demolition stage , not sure when it was completed . Was at this Wales game too !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_uSutTqOZA

looking at this footage from May 1978 going through its demolition stage , not sure when it was completed . Was at this Wales game too !

The open Grange End was definitely in place when Buchanan scored against the jacks in December 79 and I’m pretty sure it was open for most, if not all, of the 78/79 season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The open Grange End was definitely in place when Buchanan scored against the jacks in December 79 and I’m pretty sure it was open for most, if not all, of the 78/79 season.
    Definitely here in March 79 in one of our less remembered capitulations to Stoke.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If you mean the game where John Buchanan scored the best goal I have ever seen, then I was deffo in the bob-bank, and Swansea Town fans were in the concrete grange-end.

The reason I am confident in saying that, is because time stood still for a fraction of a second, just before the ball rippled the back of the net, and my brain was still processing wether he’d actually scored… what snapped me out of it and time started ticking again, was when my focus zoomed in on a Swansea Town fan behind the goal who threw his arms up in disbelief that it had gone in (he must have had a perfect view of it, bless him, from when it left John’s stitched up foot).

But then again, it might just be more old fogey memory kicking in again 😁

I will have to check out that game later. I remember a game against England when Gerry Francis did a (in my mind) not too controversial foul, but my friends dad went ballistic about it and wouldn’t let it go for the rest of the game.

After that foul he had this thing about Francis, and still wouldn’t let it go even when he played for the City for a while.

As a side note I also got the England players autographs, as they stayed in the hotel (now a premier inn) in Pentwyn.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Definitely here in March 79 in one of our less remembered capitulations to Stoke.

I am even more confused now… I was sure that when Ronnie Moore played for us, and scored his first ever home goal, I was deffo in the Grange-End.

Putting that aside, that video set off a nostalgia trip… Firstly, that kit, then whenever the opposition would score, there was always a pause to assimilate the situation before the City fans would look at the opposition fans celebrating and then start singing “your gonna get your…”, and my favourite, all time favourite player, of all time (along side Whitts)… John Buchanan,

I was there with my Dad in the Canton Stand!

I was there, aged 11 in the grange end. To this day, it is still my most memorable game watching the city.
    Spedger

as we're rolling back the years here pretty sure cardiff city or a south wales 11 play Man Utd around the same time to raise money for Newport county at ninian park ? did a google search nothing come up

as we're rolling back the years here pretty sure cardiff city or a south wales 11 play Man Utd around the same time to raise money for Newport county at ninian park ? did a google search nothing come up
    That match definitely took place in 1976 when I was 13. I don't recall anything of the game or whether it was a CCFC XI or a South Wales XI, nor what the result was, but I think it was probably a home win as I do remember an older and angry Man U fan from two streets away tried to headbutt me after the game along Sloper Road.

It was a south Wales eleven and the game was played to help out Newport County - "we" won 1-0 and I think Phil Dwyer scored. From memory, Man United played their strongest team and there were about 15,000 there.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    That match definitely took place in 1976 when I was 13. I don't recall anything of the game or whether it was a CCFC XI or a South Wales XI, nor what the result was, but I think it was probably a home win as I do remember an older and angry Man U fan from two streets away tried to headbutt me after the game along Sloper Road.
    Must have either had the neck of a giraffe or took a really long run up!

I've been in Cardiff for over 40 years now and anyone of my age upwards who finds out my football affiliation almost always mentions that game.

My response is always we were already promoted and on the beach, which wasn't quite true, happened three days later at Walsall.