+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Out of curiosity

Re: Out of curiosity

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    This is just your interpretation of what happened. The vast majority of fans probably didn't particularly want to change colours but accepted the situation pragmatically, for the reasons Tan stated relating to investment in the club and future success. It wasn't as if the colours were being changed to sky blue and pink either - red was the national team colours for a start. A vociferous few wouldn’t accept it and caused all sorts of problems amongst the fanbase, including turning fan on fan and creating a toxic atmosphere that lasted years (until Warnock came in and helped to sort it out). Instead of playing the blame game and continually harping on about what happened why don’t people like you just move on. It’s like a bunch of stuck records and it’s boring and divisive.
    The only trouble I remember was someone saying they’d “bury” someone in an initial “keep
    Cardiff blue” meeting. All that did was fan the flames and make people more entrenched in their views, well me anyway.

This is just your interpretation of what happened. The vast majority of fans probably didn't particularly want to change colours but accepted the situation pragmatically, for the reasons Tan stated relating to investment in the club and future success. It wasn't as if the colours were being changed to sky blue and pink either - red was the national team colours for a start. A vociferous few wouldn’t accept it and caused all sorts of problems amongst the fanbase, including turning fan on fan and creating a toxic atmosphere that lasted years (until Warnock came in and helped to sort it out). Instead of playing the blame game and continually harping on about what happened why don’t people like you just move on. Its like a bunch of stuck records and its boring and divisive.
    While I don’t agree with most of that it’s hard to not notice that the majority of protests or criticism came when we were all but don’t from the Prem, not when the kit was changed or during promotion. Success will cover a lot of cracks.

The change to red had nothing to do with Wales and everything to do with Chinese culture, as it’s seen as a lucky colour. It also happened to be the colour of Manchester United, who are massive in Asia.
    On that basis, why would Cardiff City fans have identified with it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    The change to red had nothing to do with Wales and everything to do with Chinese culture, as it’s seen as a lucky colour. It also happened to be the colour of Manchester United, who are massive in Asia.
    On that basis, why would Cardiff City fans have identified with it?
    Exactly - let’s not drag the whole change of colour of shirt back up , it was embarrassing and ripped apart the club’s support but it was not meant to be the red of Wales but lucky red in Chinese culture

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Exactly - let’s not drag the whole change of colour of shirt back up , it was embarrassing and ripped apart the club’s support but it was not meant to be the red of Wales but lucky red in Chinese culture
    Didn't Sam The Scam have plans on changing our shirts to red at some point and wanted us to be the side that represented Wales?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Didn't Sam The Scam have plans on changing our shirts to red at some point and wanted us to be the side that represented Wales?
    Green, but he listened to sense

This is just your interpretation of what happened. The vast majority of fans probably didn't particularly want to change colours but accepted the situation pragmatically, for the reasons Tan stated relating to investment in the club and future success. It wasn't as if the colours were being changed to sky blue and pink either - red was the national team colours for a start. A vociferous few wouldn’t accept it and caused all sorts of problems amongst the fanbase, including turning fan on fan and creating a toxic atmosphere that lasted years (until Warnock came in and helped to sort it out). Instead of playing the blame game and continually harping on about what happened why don’t people like you just move on. Its like a bunch of stuck records and its boring and divisive.
    It changed the club forever and we lost a lot of die-hard fans because of it. You know very well the red had absolutely nothing to do with Wales and everything to do with Chinese superstition. And when Tan was backed into a corner and had to return us to blue he added a Chinese dragon to our badge out of spite. Or was it for Wales and for unity?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It changed the club forever and we lost a lot of die-hard fans because of it. You know very well the red had absolutely nothing to do with Wales and everything to do with Chinese superstition. And when Tan was backed into a corner and had to return us to blue he added a Chinese dragon to our badge out of spite. Or was it for Wales and for unity?
    I don't think he added the ragworm to the badge out of spite. I think it was ego.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I don't think he added the ragworm to the badge out of spite. I think it was ego.
    Yep, pretty sure it was too. I do often wonder “what if” with the Blackpool play off game. If we had won, we would have been promoted in blue with a united fan base riding a crest of an optimistic wave, we had Chopra Bothroyd and McCormack up front and Tan was just about to invest significant sums of money that may have ensured we stayed up the next season . I’m sure it was a “sliding doors” moment for the club and its supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Did you stop attending matches then ?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What has to happen to get us out of this embargo?
    Nothing, absolutely nothing will get us out of the embargo - it is a punishment for late payment.

Punishments do not get lifted - they run their course.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Yep, pretty sure it was too. I do often wonder “what if” with the Blackpool play off game. If we had won, we would have been promoted in blue with a united fan base riding a crest of an optimistic wave, we had Chopra Bothroyd and McCormack up front and Tan was just about to invest significant sums of money that may have ensured we stayed up the next season . I’m sure it was a “sliding doors” moment for the club and its supporters.
    If Mr 4 4 2 had played Bothroyd Chopra and McCormack in the same team we may well have gone up.

He even brought on Kelvin Etuhu before McCormack. Feckin clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    If Mr 4 4 2 had played Bothroyd Chopra and McCormack in the same team we may well have gone up.

He even brought on Kelvin Etuhu before McCormack. Feckin clueless.
    Whenever we faced 3 in centre midfield Jones decided to launch it long. Ok if Bothroyd was there, but we had one plan only. He thought a young winger could be a target man.

Second half we ditched the 4-4-2 target man and tried passing the ball about. I have never seen the game or goals since that day, but I'm sure we hit the woodwork a few times in the second half and dominated it, but couldn't score.