+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Better, but individual errors cost Cardiff dear against Premier League bound Sheffield United.

Better, but individual errors cost Cardiff dear against Premier League bound Sheffield United.

Cardiff still clear of bottom three despite heaviest defeat of the season.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Better, but individual errors cost Cardiff dear against Premier League bound Sheffield United.

For the first time this season, I felt sorry for the team as a whole.

As you’ve stated, individual errors at key points of the game cost us.

It’s all “if’s”

If, Joe’s run through ends with him scoring, we’re on top

If Conner’s shot goes in, we’re in the game again

Silly, silly, mistakes + what on earth was Callum doing at centre back

Re: Better, but individual errors cost Cardiff dear against Premier League bound Sheffield United.

I thought that overall, it was a decent performance, although with some disastrous errors. Allsop didn't make one of those but I expressed my feelings about him on here a couple of months ago. He seldom has a howler but doesn't seem to stop many shots. I had thought it was his tendency to play football in his area with strikers bearing down on him that would cost us. In fact it's his inability to save anything other than a ball aimed directly at him.

Change our keeper for Watford. That is essential.
    A great report Bob; I was at the game yesterday and your comments are both perceptive and correct.

First half we were excellent.
    Allsop is a dreadful keeper the worst since Enkleman I'd like to have had a 40 year old Ben foster come to us instead of going to Wrexham.

Remember the old days when we were knocking about the dungeon and watching players fail week after week? Everyone who could be bothered knew that eventually, one of our players who make a mistake, lose concentration, end up in a situation where their lack of ability both in their head and feet would end up costing us. Well this is what is happening now, albeit at a higher level. This group of players aren't good enough individually or collectively. Its difficult for me to be that critical or angry because i believe for the best part, they are putting it in. Look at Ojo, the kid can't play. How often have we got to say that he is crap before we just leave him alone? There's nothing he can really do about it because he just cant improve, and its odds on that withing the next 3 years that he will be playing non league football.

Its the first time in a long time that i have thought that we just aren't good enough (this season) And it doesn't matter whi is in charge, what tactics we play, what the formation is, every one of these players have a mistake in them, lack concentration, composure and ability as well as quality. Its not that difficult a pill to swallow for me, anyone on here who has had kids who try really hard in school, complete the homework on time, turn up etc, but fail to get good marks and results etc, well how can you be angry with them when they have put the work in when they come home with a 'C'. This is how i see this group. Honest enough, willing enough, it's just that there's a mistake in every one of them. Special mention to one Mr S Morison and the ****ing idiots who appointed him, maybe they're just not good enough either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Remember the old days when we were knocking about the dungeon and watching players fail week after week? Everyone who could be bothered knew that eventually, one of our players who make a mistake, lose concentration, end up in a situation where their lack of ability both in their head and feet would end up costing us. Well this is what is happening now, albeit at a higher level. This group of players aren't good enough individually or collectively. Its difficult for me to be that critical or angry because i believe for the best part, they are putting it in. Look at Ojo, the kid can't play. How often have we got to say that he is crap before we just leave him alone? There's nothing he can really do about it because he just cant improve, and its odds on that withing the next 3 years that he will be playing non league football.

Its the first time in a long time that i have thought that we just aren't good enough (this season) And it doesn't matter whi is in charge, what tactics we play, what the formation is, every one of these players have a mistake in them, lack concentration, composure and ability as well as quality. Its not that difficult a pill to swallow for me, anyone on here who has had kids who try really hard in school, complete the homework on time, turn up etc, but fail to get good marks and results etc, well how can you be angry with them when they have put the work in when they come home with a 'C'. This is how i see this group. Honest enough, willing enough, it's just that there's a mistake in every one of them. Special mention to one Mr S Morison and the ****ing idiots who appointed him, maybe they're just not good enough either.
    You're right. As Shakespeare put it "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"

I can safely assume that the majority if not all Cardiff fans assumed that the result at Sheffield United away was likely to end in defeat, however the scoreline and the manner of the goals conceded was cause for frustration. In particular the 1st and 3rd Sheffield United goals came at crucial points of the game in which Cardiff were enjoying a good spell of possession and creating chances of their own. Yet McGuinness found himself at fault for both goals by poor positioning and even poor decision making.

I hoped that bringing in Sol Bamba into the backroom staff would help to galvanize and solidify the team but worryingly the opposite has happened, as individual and team errors seem to continue to happen. Hopefully Lamouchi and Bamba can identify a means to improve on what is currently on display, perhaps enforcing the basics such as lumping the ball into row Z if under pressure would help... as the club is currently reliant on point deductions and teams performing worse than them to avoid the drop.

Interesting take on things. I wouldn’t disagree when it comes to where we’re heading, but I still think there’s enough individual ability within the squad for us to stay up this season For me, we have about eight players who are good enough for us for this division, but the big question is about blend. The clearest example of this is with our lack of goals - Robinson is a Championship quality player, as is Philogene, I think Lamouchi has got Etete playing better and Kaba is scoring goals at a rate that suggests he’s good enough for this level, but our goalscoring stats are those of a relegation side. Granted, we’ve had bad luck with Robinson, but the blend is wrong.

In midfield, Wintle’s a Championship player, Ralls has been good enough for this league for a decade and has looked it again in recent games. Rinomhota has played all of his football in the Championship as well, but it’s as if we brought Sawyers here to be the one to supply something a bit different - fine five years ago, but the signs are that he’s now like Ralls in that you can only see their career path going down from here. We placed too much emphasis on Sawyers to be the difference maker because the rest of them are too samey, yet I reckon the four of them could have signed for another Championship club last summer.

At the back, Kipre is a Championship player, Ng is we’re told worth £3.5 million (don’t believe that myself, but he’d be signed by a club in this league if we let him go), Sheffield Wednesday fans reckon McGuinness is a Premier League in the making. Romeo let’s no one down and many people rate O’Dowda as our best player this season.

It doesn’t look like a relegation squad to me, but, defence apart, we’ve not clicked in any area of the pitch.

Its the first time in a long time that i have thought that we just aren't good enough (this season) And it doesn't matter who is in charge, what tactics we play, what the formation is, every one of these players have a mistake in them, lack concentration, composure and ability as well as quality. Its not that difficult a pill to swallow for me, anyone on here who has had kids who try really hard in school, complete the homework on time, turn up etc, but fail to get good marks and results etc, well how can you be angry with them when they have put the work in when they come home with a 'C'. This is how i see this group. Honest enough, willing enough, it's just that there's a mistake in every one of them.
    For me, the most frustrating thing about yesterday's contest was I was watching it feeling certain that if the players had put in the same levels of effort and application against Sunderland as they did for the first 75 minutes or so against Sheffield, they would have emerged with a result of some sort from the Sunderland game.

Last Monday's was a really poor display. Generally, I don't believe the team has lacked for effort this season, but the Sunderland game was different.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It doesn’t look like a relegation squad to me, but, defence apart, we’ve not clicked in any area of the pitch.
    The problem as I see it is that with the possible exceptions of Robinson and Philogene, the current team's best and most consistent players are average at best by Championship standards. Sawyers was above average once upon a time, but not any more. The rest aren't anything more than average on a good day and they don't have the capacity to improve either.

I worry about the impact of losing 4-1 after a decent enough first 60 minutes, especially as Reading then went out and got a draw against Burnley

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The problem as I see it is that with the possible exceptions of Robinson and Philogene, the current team's best and most consistent players are average at best by Championship standards. Sawyers was above average once upon a time, but not any more. The rest aren't anything more than average on a good day and they don't have the capacity to improve either.
    I wouldn’t dispute that, but I compare this team with last year’s and I think that, ability wise, it’s better and that’s with the likes of Colwill, Davies and Bagan contributing far less than they did in 21/22. What last year’s side had over this one is mental resilience and, a huge difference, an effective set piece game. On further reflection, I was wrong to talk only about a lack of blending in my reply to Tuerto, you can also question this squad’s mental toughness, so, even if I’m right in my view of this squad’s playing ability, I probably haven’t given enough credit to the mental side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I worry about the impact of losing 4-1 after a decent enough first 60 minutes, especially as Reading then went out and got a draw against Burnley
    Hopefully Lamouchi drills into them that we were playing a team pushing for 2nd and to forget the last 30 minutes, easier said than done. We rebounded well from Rotherham and Swansea so I think the team has it in them to pick themselves up which gives me hope - I don't think we lack want or grit, it's just the actual ability.