+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Street

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tudor Street

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...prove-26699645

Looks like more brilliant work by Cardiff Council.

Re: Tudor Street

The shop owners took the funding and would have known what the plans were in terms of planning, parking etc. So they sort of did a deal with the Devil but aren't happy how things have turned out. Riverside is on its way to gentrification, it's been on its arse for decades, soon enough these shops will be gone and replaced by safe havens for the white middle class, it'll be old fashioned bicycles, baskets and floral dresses in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The shop owners took the funding and would have known what the plans were in terms of planning, parking etc. So they sort of did a deal with the Devil but aren't happy how things have turned out. Riverside is on its way to gentrification, it's been on its arse for decades, soon enough these shops will be gone and replaced by safe havens for the white middle class, it'll be old fashioned bicycles, baskets and floral dresses in no time.
    You're having a laugh aren't you? Have you actually spent any time in Riverside over the past ten or so years? The last way it is heading, is towards gentrification! Infact it is heading the other way at a great rate of knots

International

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    You're having a laugh aren't you? Have you actually spent any time in Riverside over the past ten or so years? The last way it is heading, is towards gentrification! Infact it is heading the other way at a great rate of knots
    The place is terrible; some people disagree, but I can't see it myself.

Quite a depressing place full of hostels and bed sits, they will do well to turn it into new pontcanna…..

Plenty of time in Riverdale, it's happening, slowly but surely, it won't happen overnight but the middle classes are slowly buying up properly down there. Give it 20 years or so. Prime area for it.

The OP is quite correct.
    The article contains shop owners complaining about the lack of parking/drop off points.
    Widening pavements and adding cycle lanes is ruining these shopping areas.
    Same in Roath and Splott.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The OP is quite correct.
    The article contains shop owners complaining about the lack of parking/drop off points.
    Widening pavements and adding cycle lanes is ruining these shopping areas.
    Same in Roath and Splott.
    so build more parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    so build more parking.
    Theres nowhere for it now due to the cycle lane.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Theres nowhere for it now due to the cycle lane.
    cowbridge road has like 3 at least public car parks within walking distance, other non-town shopping/restaurant heavy streets like city road, Albany road, Whitchurch road have got **** all, it can't be impossible to provide some parking provision near these places

Drove down a narrowed Maes-y-Coed Road today, 5/6 foot wide cycle lanes both sides of the road, me and the Mrs never seen one bike

Lovely pot holes in the road lanes being used by paying motorists though

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Drove down a narrowed Maes-y-Coed Road today, 5/6 foot wide cycle lanes both sides of the road, me and the Mrs never seen one bike

Lovely pot holes in the road lanes being used by paying motorists though
    Even better, the Lidl planning application.

At the intersection with Caerphilly Road, you've 4 courses of action. Turn left onto Caerphilly Road, turn right onto Caerphilly Road, turn right into Lidl and straight on.

Before the bike lanes, it wasn't as bad; now, it's one lane all the way down till it fans out a bit. When there's a string of cars looking to turn right, you can't go straight on or left unless you think **** it at got into a bike lane.

No increased congestion there whatsoever.

Plenty of time in Riverdale, it's happening, slowly but surely, it won't happen overnight but the middle classes are slowly buying up properly down there. Give it 20 years or so. Prime area for it.
    I like the new name, very upmarket

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I like the new name, very upmarket
    I've moved in!

Riverside, Riverdale, Lower Pontcanna.
    Call it what you like.

The middle classes will own the properties but they won't live in them.

The buildings change, the places don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Riverside, Riverdale, Lower Pontcanna.
    Call it what you like.

The middle classes will own the properties but they won't live in them.

The buildings change, the places don't.
    Apparently, pontcanna wasn’t always like it is now, it used to be a bit run down. Always recall my old man and uncle telling me, I guess it must have been a long time ago…..

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Apparently, pontcanna wasn’t always like it is now, it used to be a bit run down. Always recall my old man and uncle telling me, I guess it must have been a long time ago…..
    I think we need to define the word rundown, as pontcanna has always been 'posh' in my eyes. My grand mother used to live on Cathedral road - back in the early 70's and I remember it being 'posh' then as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    I think we need to define the word rundown, as pontcanna has always been 'posh' in my eyes. My grand mother used to live on Cathedral road - back in the early 70's and I remember it being 'posh' then as well.
    Cathedral road had plenty of run down properties on it even up until the late eighties,smashed windows, a few squats and sectioned off into shitty bedsits. There's a cardiff landlord who took advantage of the grants scheme during that period ( A bit too much) who did very well down there.

Nah! More likely to get snapped up, converted into HMO's and jammed with students. HMO Licence fees straight into Council coffers.

in larger cities you'd certainly think so with riversides location, but Cardiff and South Wales in general seems strangely resistant to gentrification, I can't think of too many areas that have changed that significantly in my lifetime.
    ok the bay and st Mellons perhaps (whatever the opposite of gentrification is) but those were the result of significant external factors.
    even towns like Caerphilly or pontypridd that you might think would be ripe for gentrification over the years, but it just doesn't seem to really happen
    Riverside also has quite a lot of low quality, small housing which probably doesn't help it, and the local schools aren't great which will keep many people away.

International

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post

I think they are banning cars by the back door, little by little there will be no roads left for cars to drive in.

International

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post

I feel sorry for poor old Mr Wong, it's wrong.

We have an awful council as far as planning and transport is concerned.

I don't mind the 20 mph limit in certain areas, but some of the decisions on roads and housing are just awful

I actually laugh every time I am on pen-y-lan road, the new lights and traffic system was designed by an imbecile. Remember when Homer Simpson designed a car? Literally that's Cardiff city planning department.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    We have an awful council as far as planning and transport is concerned.

I don't mind the 20 mph limit in certain areas, but some of the decisions on roads and housing are just awful

I actually laugh every time I am on pen-y-lan road, the new lights and traffic system was designed by an imbecile. Remember when Homer Simpson designed a car? Literally that's Cardiff city planning department.
    It's looks like private car ownership will soon be obsolete for the middle classes and below.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...entre-26714766

This sort of thing seems to be the latest craze amongst pretty much all local authorities at the moment.