+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Street

Tudor Street

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...prove-26699645

Looks like more brilliant work by Cardiff Council.

Re: Tudor Street

The shop owners took the funding and would have known what the plans were in terms of planning, parking etc. So they sort of did a deal with the Devil but aren't happy how things have turned out. Riverside is on its way to gentrification, it's been on its arse for decades, soon enough these shops will be gone and replaced by safe havens for the white middle class, it'll be old fashioned bicycles, baskets and floral dresses in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The shop owners took the funding and would have known what the plans were in terms of planning, parking etc. So they sort of did a deal with the Devil but aren't happy how things have turned out. Riverside is on its way to gentrification, it's been on its arse for decades, soon enough these shops will be gone and replaced by safe havens for the white middle class, it'll be old fashioned bicycles, baskets and floral dresses in no time.
    You're having a laugh aren't you? Have you actually spent any time in Riverside over the past ten or so years? The last way it is heading, is towards gentrification! Infact it is heading the other way at a great rate of knots

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    You're having a laugh aren't you? Have you actually spent any time in Riverside over the past ten or so years? The last way it is heading, is towards gentrification! Infact it is heading the other way at a great rate of knots
    Plenty of time in Riverdale, it's happening, slowly but surely, it won't happen overnight but the middle classes are slowly buying up properly down there. Give it 20 years or so. Prime area for it.

The OP is quite correct.
    The article contains shop owners complaining about the lack of parking/drop off points.
    Widening pavements and adding cycle lanes is ruining these shopping areas.
    Same in Roath and Splott.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The OP is quite correct.
    The article contains shop owners complaining about the lack of parking/drop off points.
    Widening pavements and adding cycle lanes is ruining these shopping areas.
    Same in Roath and Splott.
    so build more parking.

Drove down a narrowed Maes-y-Coed Road today, 5/6 foot wide cycle lanes both sides of the road, me and the Mrs never seen one bike

Lovely pot holes in the road lanes being used by paying motorists though

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Drove down a narrowed Maes-y-Coed Road today, 5/6 foot wide cycle lanes both sides of the road, me and the Mrs never seen one bike

Lovely pot holes in the road lanes being used by paying motorists though
    Even better, the Lidl planning application.

At the intersection with Caerphilly Road, you've 4 courses of action. Turn left onto Caerphilly Road, turn right onto Caerphilly Road, turn right into Lidl and straight on.

Before the bike lanes, it wasn't as bad; now, it's one lane all the way down till it fans out a bit. When there's a string of cars looking to turn right, you can't go straight on or left unless you think **** it at got into a bike lane.

No increased congestion there whatsoever.

Plenty of time in Riverdale, it's happening, slowly but surely, it won't happen overnight but the middle classes are slowly buying up properly down there. Give it 20 years or so. Prime area for it.
    I like the new name, very upmarket

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I like the new name, very upmarket
    I've moved in!

International

The place is terrible; some people disagree, but I can't see it myself.

International

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post

I think they are banning cars by the back door, little by little there will be no roads left for cars to drive in.

International

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post

I feel sorry for poor old Mr Wong, it's wrong.

Quite a depressing place full of hostels and bed sits, they will do well to turn it into new pontcanna…..

We have an awful council as far as planning and transport is concerned.

I don't mind the 20 mph limit in certain areas, but some of the decisions on roads and housing are just awful

I actually laugh every time I am on pen-y-lan road, the new lights and traffic system was designed by an imbecile. Remember when Homer Simpson designed a car? Literally that's Cardiff city planning department.

This sort of thing seems to be the latest craze amongst pretty much all local authorities at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    so build more parking.
    Brilliant!!

it certainly is a great location for the " white middle class " ( as Tuerto named them ) a short walk into town for work ( do people still work in the center in offices ? ? ) and entertainment, any other big city it would be prime land, its done well to survive this long

I remember living in Sydney and you could walk from double bay ( where I lived and it was lovely ) to Sydneys financial / office center in under 1 hour, cycle it in 20 mins, yet between them 2 locations were Kings Cross and Darlinghurst ( both very low cost housing area's ) but the creeping had started and street by street the area appeared to be moving the right way ( often wonder what its like now )

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    so build more parking.
    Theres nowhere for it now due to the cycle lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    This sort of thing seems to be the latest craze amongst pretty much all local authorities at the moment.
    just outside Bath they closed a major road for 2 months to add a cycle path to a nearby town ( the pavement was maybe 10 ft wide before this ), in doing this they have made the road narrower, so when 2 lorries try to pass each other the mirrors often hit each other, its mental

I drive the road a fair bit, only seen a handful of bikes on the cycle path in about 12 months

Riverside, Riverdale, Lower Pontcanna.
    Call it what you like.

The middle classes will own the properties but they won't live in them.

The buildings change, the places don't.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    it certainly is a great location for the " white middle class " ( as Tuerto named them ) a short walk into town for work ( do people still work in the center in offices ? ? ) and entertainment, any other big city it would be prime land, its done well to survive this long

I remember living in Sydney and you could walk from double bay ( where I lived and it was lovely ) to Sydneys financial / office center in under 1 hour, cycle it in 20 mins, yet between them 2 locations were Kings Cross and Darlinghurst ( both very low cost housing area's ) but the creeping had started and street by street the area appeared to be moving the right way ( often wonder what its like now )
    I lived in Double Bay for a few months back around 98.
    It seemed to take ages to get to town then on the bus.

As an aside, is Doc Graham's still kicking around on Tudor Rd?
    Had my first tattoo done there.

I know there are a lot of cycle lane haters...but if it was your child you would prefer a safe lane for them. Unfortunately Britain isn't really built for the lanes

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    just outside Bath they closed a major road for 2 months to add a cycle path to a nearby town ( the pavement was maybe 10 ft wide before this ), in doing this they have made the road narrower, so when 2 lorries try to pass each other the mirrors often hit each other, its mental

I drive the road a fair bit, only seen a handful of bikes on the cycle path in about 12 months
    I'm convinced that nobody who designs roads has every driven a car in their life.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Yes, it's that Globailist nonsense, stop the peasants from owning and using cars, make it impossible to use them, build more cycle lanes and close roads.

Bikes might be alright in Spain but a total waste of time in wet Wales!