+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: N'Kounkou

N'Kounkou

A thank you to Roath Boy (Scott Johnson) for posting this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1648266467517800449

Re: N'Kounkou

nice skill on the edge of the box, he definitely has something about him

Well at least her learnt a lot playing for City.

It’s the frustrating thing, everyone could see he was a class above anyone we have, looked great going forward but instead of rejigging things to give the left a bit more protection we just either stuck him at left back in a flat 4 where the opposition knew they would get a chance at some point or didn’t play him.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    It’s the frustrating thing, everyone could see he was a class above anyone we have, looked great going forward but instead of rejigging things to give the left a bit more protection we just either stuck him at left back in a flat 4 where the opposition knew they would get a chance at some point or didn’t play him.
    He featured in practically every game he was available for and was only left out of the squad in 2 (the 2 before his loan was ended)

Rhys Healey scored 34 goals across 2 seasons in Ligue 2, I'd guess the standard is a little lower than he was facing in the Championship. N'Kounkou had his moments, but he certainly wasn't a class above everyone else

he did make some mistakes defensively, but also he seemed to be blamed on here for a bunch of goals that he did absolutely nothing wrong for.
    at times going forward he was our only creative player, just not many of the other players were on the same wavelength.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he did make some mistakes defensively, but also he seemed to be blamed on here for a bunch of goals that he did absolutely nothing wrong for.
    at times going forward he was our only creative player, just not many of the other players were on the same wavelength.
    He and Philogene pushed forward would have been a right handful, with Kaba and Wickham.

He was a brilliant player going forwards, not a defender though.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He featured in practically every game he was available for and was only left out of the squad in 2 (the 2 before his loan was ended)

Rhys Healey scored 34 goals across 2 seasons in Ligue 2, I'd guess the standard is a little lower than he was facing in the Championship. N'Kounkou had his moments, but he certainly wasn't a class above everyone else
    Yeah I didn’t say he was continuously left out, I said he was played in a flat back four or left out.

Ok the word “everyone” was incorrect, but to me he seemed to have a lot more going forward than what we had at the time. It felt like if anything was going to happen going forward it would have been through him. I would have loved to have seen him with us playing wingbacks and I think he would have done very well at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Yeah I didn’t say he was continuously left out, I said he was played in a flat back four or left out.

Ok the word “everyone” was incorrect, but to me he seemed to have a lot more going forward than what we had at the time. It felt like if anything was going to happen going forward it would have been through him. I would have loved to have seen him with us playing wingbacks and I think he would have done very well at this level.
    I said at the time he could have been a very useful left sided midfield player. Not a great defender

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    One way of putting it, he was a liability. He isn't a left back. He should have played as a wing back or higher up. St Etienne are a huge club, and they are flying and Ligue 2 isn't as good as the Championship.

He looked decent going forward at times but is definitely not a championship standard left back. He really needs to be moved to left wing