+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asylum seekers Universal Basic Income scheme £1,600 ( give it to the nurses I hear you cry )

Asylum seekers Universal Basic Income scheme £1,600 ( give it to the nurses I hear you cry )

Not sure how true this is its from the awful Express ,wouldn't be shocked though in the world of gesture

""Ministers block Labour giving cash to asylum seekers enrolled on £1.6k handout scheme
    Story by Christian Calgie - Senior Political Correspondent • Yesterday 22:28

Asylum seekers enrolled on the Welsh Government's left-wing Universal Basic Income scheme, in which they get £1,600 every month, cannot claim legal aid, ministers have told Senedd ministers. A letter sent tonight from Ministry of Justice minister Lord Bellamy confirmed the decision by the UK government.""

The letter from Lord Bellamy to Welsh Minister Jane Hutt, seen by the Express, confirms asylum seekers being handed thousands of pounds every month in taxpayer cash can't then claim legal aid.

Lord Bellamy says as the Universal Basic Income scheme gives recipients an income for "purpose of living costs rather than a specified one", those on the cash trial will be expected to use the money for legal services.

The UK Government says this decision is in line with rules for all British taxpayers, so limited legal aid resources are "directed at those most in need of financial support."

A row sparked yesterday when it emerged the Welsh government will allow young asylum seekers to enrol onto the taxpayer-funded scheme which entitles Welsh care leavers to receive £1,600 per month, pre-tax, for 24 months from the month after their 18th birthday

Re: Asylum seekers Universal Basic Income scheme £1,600 ( give it to the nurses I hear you cry )

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Not sure how true this is its from the awful Express ,wouldn't be shocked though in the world of gesture

""Ministers block Labour giving cash to asylum seekers enrolled on £1.6k handout scheme
    Story by Christian Calgie - Senior Political Correspondent • Yesterday 22:28

Asylum seekers enrolled on the Welsh Government's left-wing Universal Basic Income scheme, in which they get £1,600 every month, cannot claim legal aid, ministers have told Senedd ministers. A letter sent tonight from Ministry of Justice minister Lord Bellamy confirmed the decision by the UK government.""

The letter from Lord Bellamy to Welsh Minister Jane Hutt, seen by the Express, confirms asylum seekers being handed thousands of pounds every month in taxpayer cash can't then claim legal aid.

Lord Bellamy says as the Universal Basic Income scheme gives recipients an income for "purpose of living costs rather than a specified one", those on the cash trial will be expected to use the money for legal services.

The UK Government says this decision is in line with rules for all British taxpayers, so limited legal aid resources are "directed at those most in need of financial support."

A row sparked yesterday when it emerged the Welsh government will allow young asylum seekers to enrol onto the taxpayer-funded scheme which entitles Welsh care leavers to receive £1,600 per month, pre-tax, for 24 months from the month after their 18th birthday
    It’s a good idea and they need to be fully supported, especially as most asylum seekers come from areas where we have illegally occupied and contributed to the issue in the first place.

Re: Asylum seekers Universal Basic Income scheme £1,600 ( give it to the nurses I hear you cry )

£1600 is bugger all these days. Inflation will rip it to shreds. Let's give Rishi's millions to the nurses I say.

Asylum-seekers in Wales will get a £1,600 monthly hand-out and taxpayer cash to fight deportation under Labour plans

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/220723...ers-legal-aid/

One of todays first questions on todays PMQs

Re: Asylum-seekers in Wales will get a £1,600 monthly hand-out and taxpayer cash to fight deportation under Labour plans

...more than double my state pension.....

Asylum seekers aren't allowed to work or have access to other benefits. By far the best thing the goverment could do is clear the backlog of asylum applications so the people who can stay here can start contributing to society and start putting their lives back together

International

Re: Asylum-seekers in Wales will get a £1,600 monthly hand-out and taxpayer cash to fight deportation under Labour plans

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    And they'll still vote for him, thick as two short planks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    £1600 is bugger all these days. Inflation will rip it to shreds. Let's give Rishi's millions to the nurses I say.
    And Sir Keir's self created special pension arrangements

Absolutely ridiculous proposal. £1600 a month plus housing and free healthcare. Why would anyone stay in Albania?

The naiivity of some on the left is astonishing sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    It’s same here. Absolutely disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous proposal. £1600 a month plus housing and free healthcare. Why would anyone stay in Albania?

anyone without a legitimate asylum claim will be sent back

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    And Sir Keir's self created special pension arrangements
    Yes indeed

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

From what I can see, it's for children who had been in the system for when they turn 18 and only for the next two years.

They'd also lose out on housing benefits (but would be better off for it).

So I don't think many children will be rushing to Wales to take advantage of it on their 18th birthday.

its a Murdoch newspaper i.e. sensationalist nonsense, take what is written with a pinch of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/220723...ers-legal-aid/

One of todays first questions on todays PMQs
    It’s a load of old bollocks, it’s in the scum and all the other right wing rags.

It’s actually a pilot scheme to do with a universal basic income to help young people in general in wales, nothing to do with asylum seekers.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    From what I can see, it's for children who had been in the system for when they turn 18 and only for the next two years.

They'd also lose out on housing benefits (but would be better off for it).

So I don't think many children will be rushing to Wales to take advantage of it on their 18th birthday.
    I think this may be referring to another scheme where young people in care would get universal income for two years once they left it.

Already on the alt forum. Hopefully Mike moves this there soon and the right wing angry brigade can fill their boots there.

There were 75k asylum applications in the UK last year (which is the highest for 20 years) assuming around 5% of those end up in wales that's 3750 people. Of those, this scheme is specifically for people who arrived here as unaccompanied children and have since turned 18, which is probably a tiny number, and if the government were more efficient in processing the applications would be even smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    anyone without a legitimate asylum claim will be sent back
    They aren't though are they. They usually go through numerous rounds of appeals. Then people come back with no ID so we have no real idea who they are anyway or if they were previously refused asylum

International

There were 75k asylum applications in the UK last year (which is the highest for 20 years) assuming around 5% of those end up in wales that's 3750 people. Of those, this scheme is specifically for people who arrived here as unaccompanied children and have since turned 18, which is probably a tiny number, and if the government were more efficient in processing the applications would be even smaller.
    How about poor pensioners, do you think that this is a greater need?

I bet the traffickers will love this, shave your beard off, destroy all your documents, say you are ten OK, not 19.

Plus of course, it creates a greater incentive to fly through Greece, all the rest then France as quickly as possible with as many kids as you can bring, drop them off in the dinghy on their own, across a dangerous Sea, because there is bread and honey and lots of money in Wales butt.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    How about poor pensioners, do you think that this is a greater need?

I bet the traffickers will love this, shave your beard off, destroy all your documents, say you are ten OK, not 19.

Plus of course, it creates a greater incentive to fly through Greece, all the rest then France as quickly as possible with as many kids as you can bring, drop them off in the dinghy on their own, across a dangerous Sea, because there is bread and honey and lots of money in Wales butt.
    You think any kid fleeing a war torn country without their parents have got the faintest idea what benefits they may or may not be entitled to in a small region of a country thousands of miles away?

Anyone coming to the UK mostly arrive in SE England and then a few are redistributed to other parts of the UK.

Nobody is deciding to come here on the off chance that they'll get routed to Wales and be able to get this financial support while their asylum claim is being processed.

International

You think any kid fleeing a war torn country without their parents have got the faintest idea what benefits they may or may not be entitled to in a small region of a country thousands of miles away?

Anyone coming to the UK mostly arrive in SE England and then a few are redistributed to other parts of the UK.

Nobody is deciding to come here on the off chance that they'll get routed to Wales and be able to get this financial support while their asylum claim is being processed.
    No I agree they will go to the closest Country and be happy to be safe, those are the poor people that need help.

The crooks and conmen will abuse it lying about the age of 20-year-olds and will take advantage of the system.

Also parents in poor countries will see it as a way to enable their kids to get a good start, in Counties with no wars or problems, pay £2k to traffickers and send them to the best opportunity for a good life in the World.

No I agree they will go to the closet Country and be happy to be safe, those are the poor people that need help
    so how many people do you expect to travel to the UK specifically to try to get to Wales in order to receive this benefit for unaccompanied minors , because I think it will be zero.

International

so how many people do you expect to travel to the UK specifically to try to get to Wales in order to receive this benefit for unaccompanied minors , because I think it will be zero.
    Many more than presently, It is a problem already, why incentivise it and make it more of a problem, while depriving people who are in need, already living in Wales.

Anyway no point in arguing about it, he does what he wants regardless, the stupider the idea, the more likely he is to want to do it.

Many more than presently, It is a problem already, why incentivise it and make it more of a problem, while depriving people who are in need, already living in Wales.

Anyway no point in arguing about it, he does what he wants regardless, the stupider the idea, the more likely he is to want to do it.
    how many more? how many unaccompanied kids are currently seeking asylum in wales? This policy will not have any influence on the numbers coming here.