+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Asylum seekers Universal Basic Income scheme £1,600 ( give it to the nurses I hear you cry )

Re: Asylum seekers Universal Basic Income scheme £1,600 ( give it to the nurses I hear you cry )

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    The moral of the story is ...."never ever trust a Tory".
    Or Nicola Sturgeon, I do not trust any politician ever, the colour of their badge is an illusion. Divide & Conquer

Re: Asylum seekers Universal Basic Income scheme £1,600 ( give it to the nurses I hear you cry )

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post

I'm shocked that the leader of the Welsh Tories is such a lying bastard and that certain individuals on here are so gullible as to believe him
    If you read it , there is a clear proposal to ( extend to under 18 asylum seekers in care ) the poorly thought out policy of handing £1,600 for 18 year old coming out of care with or without asylum seekers is maddness .

Letting them have access to a
    £1, 600 subsidy whilst in work to top up thier earnings is much more beneficial and aspirational .

Don't forget the poor kids in care is usually as a result of association to poor relatives friends or influndes , who might like a sniff of the £1,600 as these 18 year old are very exposed to an independent world and in some cases could turn back to those very people .

Back to under 18 asylum seekers who as suggests inbthe articlr could be included and then extended its not a good idea .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    If you read it , there is a clear proposal to ( extend to under 18 asylum seekers in care ) the poorly thought out policy of handing £1,600 for 18 year old coming out of care with or without asylum seekers is maddness .

£1, 600 subsidy whilst in work to top up thier earnings is much more beneficial and aspirational .

Don't forget the poor kids in care is usually as a result of association to poor relatives friends or influndes , who might like a sniff of the £1,600 as these 18 year old are very exposed to an independent world and in some cases could turn back to those very people .

Back to under 18 asylum seekers who as suggests inbthe articlr could be included and then extended its not a good idea .
    Well, I was on the fence on this one but those poetic paragraphs of power and persuasion have completely won me over!

There is no new "proposal" it's the Welsh government checking with Westminster about whether or not the very small number of asylum seekers who have been looked after by Welsh councils would lose their entitlement to legal aid as a consequence of this scheme. I can explain the reasons for that to you if you need.

As Cyril has pointed out this was debated on here months ago and I'm sure you had your say then.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post
    There is no new "proposal" it's the Welsh government checking with Westminster about whether or not the very small number of asylum seekers who have been looked after by Welsh councils would lose their entitlement to legal aid as a consequence of this scheme. I can explain the reasons for that to you if you need.

As Cyril has pointed out this was debated on here months ago and I'm sure you had your say then.
    Let him carry on digging. It's entertaining and an example how gullible some are.

I did join in just think the money can go to those who aren't vulnerable but not as cash. It goes to a business to grow thier confidence , get used to working for money...

I don't think expanded out to asylum seekers is helping unless they have been granted status to stay now that works.

I'm guessing we're all happy for those under 18 successful asylum seekers bringing in thier immediate family to support them and receiving housing , education, health and social benefits.

That's is how it expands starts as a nice idea but becomes a bigger support package funded by taxpayers, and less housing for others .

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Let him carry on digging. It's entertaining and an example how gullible some are.
    tbf LoM could put a few ounces of bait on his cast into a pond of starving trout and sit on the bank a few hours later bemused why he hasn't got a bite!

I did join in just think the money can go to those who aren't vulnerable but not as cash. It goes to a business to grow thier confidence , get used to working for money...

I don't think expanded out to asylum seekers is helping unless they have been granted status to stay now that works.

I'm guessing we're all happy for those under 18 successful asylum seekers bringing in thier immediate family to support them and receiving housing , education, health and social benefits.

That's is how it expands starts as a nice idea but becomes a bigger support package funded by taxpayers, and less housing for others .
    For the second time, the scheme isn't being expanded. It has always been for ALL young people leaving care including asylum seekers.

Clearly you would rather exclude the most vulnerable young people within the group of probably the most vulnerable people in our society from this scheme, which speaks volumes about you.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Who said anything about rolling it out to more people? Yes just you then.

It’s for 2 years and is helping the most vulnerable young people in society. It’s estimated it could be given to as many as 60 young people. A heinous crime.
    Sounds like you are agreeing that there are limits to the compassion we can offer.

Welcome to the real world. Most of us have been here for several years 👍

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Sounds like you are agreeing that there are limits to the compassion we can offer.

Welcome to the real world. Most of us have been here for several years 👍
    Jimbo, in relation to "limits of compassion we can offer", are you talking generally or in relation to the Basic Income Pilot (Wales) for care leavers?

As pointed out, previously you supported the BIP scheme but seems you now have second thoughts?

I'm wondering if there's been a change of stance for you in regards to the BIP scheme?

Yeah, I'm sceptical of the scheme but it is a good thing to trial these things. I can particularly see the benefit of the security it gives to people 're entering' society from care etc.

I am very sceptical of whether the scheme should apply for those seeking asylum (which suggests their case hasn't been determined). I am not sure that's fair.

Moreover, it's interesting that people are implying its only a tiny number, suggesting there are limits to which things like this can be used - this is what people have been crititicised for saying before. So it's good people recognize that help can only go so far.

As for the wider scheme, will be really interesting to see if it works

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yeah, I'm sceptical of the scheme but it is a good thing to trial these things. I can particularly see the benefit of the security it gives to people 're entering' society from care etc.

I am very sceptical of whether the scheme should apply for those seeking asylum (which suggests their case hasn't been determined). I am not sure that's fair.

Moreover, it's interesting that people are implying its only a tiny number, suggesting there are limits to which things like this can be used - this is what people have been crititicised for saying before. So it's good people recognize that help can only go so far.

As for the wider scheme, will be really interesting to see if it works
    That's the point of the trial - to see if the much vaunted benefits of UBI actually materialise in a real world scenario. If it puts children leaving care on a better start in life then it should cost the government a lot less in the long term. I hope it is successful.

Quite right to include those seeking asylum as well, we have a duty of care for unaccompanied children who flee war or persecution to come here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    That's the point of the trial - to see if the much vaunted benefits of UBI actually materialise in a real world scenario. If it puts children leaving care on a better start in life then it should cost the government a lot less in the long term. I hope it is successful.

Quite right to include those seeking asylum as well, we have a duty of care for unaccompanied children who flee war or persecution to come here.
    We are in agreement on the usefulness of trialing UBI for those in specific circumstances.

Do you think the £1,600 should go to all asylum claimants who come here? I know that's not proposed by anyone in practice, but I wonder where you would draw the line.