+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raab resigns.

Raab resigns.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, how much longer do we have to wait for the chance to say the same about this Government?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-64467038

Re: Raab resigns.

They think there will be an election in the winter of 2024 Bob 👍.

Tough one this Raab stuff, especially without knowing the people involved and one person's assertive behaviour is another person's bullying.

I do have some sympathy for the "bar being set low" here. He has an extremely important job and should be able to set high standards. Obvs it seems it may have crossed the line sometimes.

I know a few people though who have commented that these things have changed post Covid. For example asking some people to come into work has seen an accusation of bullying etc

It’s a typical political swerve
    Raab resigns
    Rishi doesn’t have the embarrassment of having to sack his mate
    Several months down the line Raab gets reappointed in another ministerial position
    Everyone’s a winner 😏

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Tough one this Raab stuff, especially without knowing the people involved and one person's assertive behaviour is another person's bullying.

I do have some sympathy for the "bar being set low" here. He has an extremely important job and should be able to set high standards. Obvs it seems it may have crossed the line sometimes.

I know a few people though who have commented that these things have changed post Covid. For example asking some people to come into work has seen an accusation of bullying etc
    Have I just read you think Raab had "high standards?"

Whilst Kabul fell to the Taliban, he stayed on his holidays. OK if it's you and me, bit of a lack of commitment if you're the then Foreign Secretary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    It’s a typical political swerve
    Raab resigns
    Rishi doesn’t have the embarrassment of having to sack his mate
    Several months down the line Raab gets reappointed in another ministerial position
    Everyone’s a winner 😏
    Absolutely that is what will end up happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Have I just read you think Raab had "high standards?"

Whilst Kabul fell to the Taliban, he stayed on his holidays. OK if it's you and me, bit of a lack of commitment if you're the then Foreign Secretary.
    I completely agree with you that he shouldn't have done that. But that doesn't change the fact that he apparently sets high standards for his staff in terms of performancec etc.

That's what's been said anyway, and clearly some felt it went to far.

I completely agree with you that he shouldn't have done that. But that doesn't change the fact that he apparently sets high standards for his staff in terms of performancec etc.

It's pretty obvious that the conclusion reached by the investigating body is that Raab bullied his staff. You come over as a bit of an apologist with your remarks about high standards and 'some felt it went to [sic] far'.

Setting high standards for your staff is okay if your work attains those standards, it’s when it doesn’t you start looking like a bully.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's pretty obvious that the conclusion reached by the investigating body is that Raab bullied his staff. You come over as a bit of an apologist with your remarks about high standards and 'some felt it went to [sic] far'.
    Like I said TBG I've had a few mates in the last year for two who feels that the game has changed since Covid. There are few things I abhor more than bullying, particularly pile-ons, but I do have some sympathy having read what I have about this case.

He's resigned and that's that. But put it this way - if his was bullying then I think there are a hell of a lot of managers who have been bullied and reading some of the claims then I myself have unquestionably been bullied in work under the definitions used here.

You already had low credibility after saying GB news isn't right wing, that nobody in the UK has ever said to ban all immigration, and that gammon is a racist term.

But now extreme bulling is just 'high standards'. Coming from a party who've had no standards for 13 years. Brilliant.

They are a funny thing, "high standards". Before his resignation, Sir Alex Allan, Johnson's ethics advisor concluded that Priti Patel had said 'My advice is that the Home Secretary has not consistently met the high standards required by the Ministerial Code of treating her civil servants with consideration and respect.

Now Johnson "formed a square around the pritster" allowing her to stay in office even though her behaviour was arguably a clearer case of bullying than Raab. So in one sense there has been an improvement in imposing the "high standards" required by the Ministerial Code in that Raab fell on his sword, albeit still in denial.

He is the last of the Britannia Unchained crew to fall to earth, following Patel, Kwarteng and Truss (forgetting the lesser known Skidmore). I guess Sunak thought he owed Raab some loyalty given his support in the Leadership campaign but you do have to wonder what achievements, if any, Raab will have on his black belt from his time as a Minister.

Another example of his "high standards" was whilst as Brexit secretary "he hadn't quite understood..." how important the Dover - Calais route was to some industry.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8624036.html

We could find other examples of his "high standards" but let's just agree the bloke is an incompetent dickwad.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    You already had low credibility after saying GB news isn't right wing, that nobody in the UK has ever said to ban all immigration, and that gammon is a racist term.

But now extreme bulling is just 'high standards'. Coming from a party who've had no standards for 13 years. Brilliant.
    An interesting take in a discussion on bullying to pull up some totally unrelated issues from the distant past and accuse me of stuff! The reality is I simply disagree with you on many things. There's nothing wrong with that!

The report (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65339102) says this:

"The report concluded that his conduct was "abrasive" on some occasions which "feels intimidating or insulting to the individual but is not intended to be so".

His conduct was not "abusive" and behaviour was not "intended and specifically targeted", it added."

It does seem a rather low bar to me. Perhaps he is intimidating and sometimes unpleasant. But he did quite literally have one of the most important jobs in the UK at the time.

It does seem a fairly low bar to me and based on what I've read I most definitely have therefore been a victim of workplace bullying on several occasions.

I guess we will never know if Raab would have moderated his behaviour if Johnson had sacked Priti Patel as he should have done! The response to that episode was not to turf her out but re-write the Ministerial Code to make it more accommodating!

That's what you get though when the expectations on Ministerial behaviour that were the norm before Johnson get thrown out of the window.

Like I said TBG I've had a few mates in the last year for two who feels that the game has changed since Covid. There are few things I abhor more than bullying, particularly pile-ons, but I do have some sympathy having read what I have about this case.

He's resigned and that's that. But put it this way - if his was bullying then I think there are a hell of a lot of managers who have been bullied and reading some of the claims then I myself have unquestionably been bullied in work under the definitions used here.
    There absolutely are and always have been and they're all rubbish. "Setting high standards" always has been a euphemism and an excuse for bullying.

Hopefully the departure of this maniac might start the ball rolling for better standards employed in every workforce. I've met enough of these nutters so far up their own a**e they are a danger to the working environment.

Raab irrespective of being found out as a bully is a useless politician.

Sunak has just shown how pathetically weak he is.

All these right wing loons have left is the immigration card.

Well if this was all down to Raab having high standards, at least the rest of the Tory party can sleep easy knowing they’ve weeded out all of the bullies

First Team

Is there nothing Tory you won't defend? Are your standards really that low? Raab is an incompetent hubristic shitweasel. End of.

Don't bother replying - take your kids out for a nice walk.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Is there nothing Tory you won't defend? Are your standards really that low? Raab is an incompetent hubristic shitweasel. End of.

Wow 🤣

He sounds like a completely unpleasant person to work with. Glad he's gone.

Just seen his TV interview. A complete pr!ck. Apparently activists to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post

James is the right wing equivalent to that Iraqi Information Officer during the gulf war.

nasty piece of work, good riddance.

Did you mean “Chemical Ali” Hilts?
    I remember the rants on air
    Tanks he said- there are no enemy tanks in Baghdad whilst the live backdrop showed dozens of tanks rolling past
    Classic
    He was as mad as a box of frogs that fella lol 😂

The complete shower of this government needs getting rid of pronto, IMO irrespective if he's been a bully or not, based on the snippets I've read so far, if this constitutes to being a bully then there are quite a few tomato throwers in this thread that should follow his lead and resign from CCMB