+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just chatting to a Huddersfield fan

Re: Just chatting to a Huddersfield fan

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Wickham was training with us under Hudson, wasn’t he?
    We’ll never know if Warnock would have kept us up, as whatever he’s doing with Huddersfield proves nothing. It’s a different club with different players and I don’t expect that their owner wears his trousers up to his armpits, either.
    The Huddersfield owner almost put them into administration and a points deduction until a last minute deal

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Wickham was training with us under Hudson, wasn’t he?
    We’ll never know if Warnock would have kept us up, as whatever he’s doing with Huddersfield proves nothing. It’s a different club with different players and I don’t expect that their owner wears his trousers up to his armpits, either.
    Absolutely right. That's been the point I've been trying to make.

Hey Sludge and Eric, you're 2 of the good guys on here and I hate seeing you 2 squabble.
    Both of you have made good points. I was advocating Warnock before Lamouchi. Even though I do not like him on a personal basis i felt his track record was so good that his appointment would be a no brainer.
    Warnock would have got us playing in the opposition half and cutting out silly defensive mistakes. How he does it, I do not know. Must be his strength of personality.
    On the other hand we would not have wanted Warnock long term and perhaps Lamouchi will be a good bet going forward.
    What I am certain of though, is that relegation will be a disaster and to be avoided at all costs.

If we avoid relegation then going with Lamouchi was the correct call. He is a more progressive manager and not only do we not have the players for Warnockball, it would be a step backwards in terms of style of play.

If we do get relegated then there will be lots of 'what if's! I think the injury to Collins was the big one. Not only was he one of our best players, but it meant we nullified one of best wingers by sticking O'Dowda at leftback. Due to the timing of the injury we also had to endure Nkonku for 6 months because of the lack of anyone better.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think so. Wickham was out of contract I think.

Apart from McGuinness, we haven't really got a lot of height at the back, not that height is necessarily the main attribute to ability in the air. For what is a relatively short defence, we spent much of the season with one of the best defensive records in the division, so a lack of height couldn't have been too much of an issue.
    One of the best defensive records in the division? How do you work that out?

Great thread. Bloke who was never going to be appointed as City manager might have kept the team up had he been appointed seems to be the gist of it. The same could be said for literally anyone, except perhaps Mick McCarthy.

The simple fact is that Neil Warnock had the same chance of being reappointed as City manager as Malky Mackay - absolute zero. You'd have imagined that those who long for his tedious brand of hoofball would have appreciated that by now, but apparently not.

"I spoke to a Huddersfield fan who said Warnock has made them hard to beat..."

Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    One of the best is a bit of a stretch, but we've never been amongst the worst defences, if we hadn't have been so toothless we could have had a decent season. Even now we concede relatively few shots per game (only Burnley, Sheff Utd, Middlesborough, Swansea and Stoke face fewer shots) and only a handful of clubs allow less xG against than us (Burnley, WBA, Sheff Utd, Middlesborough, Luton and Millwall). Of course that doesn't take into account game state. At the other end of the pitch only Rotherham, Huddersfield and er Blackburn have generted less Xg - we actually make an above average number of shots, but we need far more shots before we score compared to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    When we drew 0-0 with Coventry in December, 8 sides had marginally better defensive records than us. 4 sides in the top half had conceded more. Before we lost 3-1 to Boro only 5 sides had conceded fewer than us.

Maybe I should have reworded it as us having one of the better defensive records in the division, rather than one of the best.

Since, and including that Boro game, only 6 sides have conceded more than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Hey Sludge and Eric, you're 2 of the good guys on here and I hate seeing you 2 squabble.
    Both of you have made good points. I was advocating Warnock before Lamouchi. Even though I do not like him on a personal basis i felt his track record was so good that his appointment would be a no brainer.
    Warnock would have got us playing in the opposition half and cutting out silly defensive mistakes. How he does it, I do not know. Must be his strength of personality.
    On the other hand we would not have wanted Warnock long term and perhaps Lamouchi will be a good bet going forward.
    What I am certain of though, is that relegation will be a disaster and to be avoided at all costs.
    No squabbles at all between us. I'm just trying to work out what he's on about. He's long advocated that long ball football will get us out of trouble and I'm trying to, and failing, to get him to see that there are ways of being direct without just whacking the ball long and hoping. One day he'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think this team lacks the nous and bottle for a relegation fight and we are going down

I hope not but we have failed to show we have what it takes recently

I find it incredible we haven't managed to put a decent unbeaten run together

Warnock would have kept us up the evidence is overwhelming
    Sadly I agree. I don’t think there is anyone at the club, including the manager, who can inject the will and urgency required to get out of this hole.

...One day he'll get it.
    don't hold your breath

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    That would be fair enough if Lamouchi was a long term appointment. But hes not. He was given a job to keep us up and a contract to the end of season.

He is advising though about player contracts as we wants Bagan to be given a long term deal.
    Strange as he refuses to pick him

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Sadly I agree. I don’t think there is anyone at the club, including the manager, who can inject the will and urgency required to get out of this hole.
    I hope we win tonight and somehow get over that line but it's like a ghost ship at ccfc

No squabbles at all between us. I'm just trying to work out what he's on about. He's long advocated that long ball football will get us out of trouble and I'm trying to, and failing, to get him to see that there are ways of being direct without just whacking the ball long and hoping. One day he'll get it.
    The most effective style of play we have had in most fans recent memory was under warnock

I don't recall too much complaining about the ball being in the air when we got out of relegation trouble and then got promoted

Percentage football gets results and we should never have tried to go full circle

You can pine and whine like an abandoned old dog for pretty football but needs must and boy do we need some fight in the next 5 games

The most effective style of play we have had in most fans recent memory was under warnock

I don't recall too much complaining about the ball being in the air when we got out of relegation trouble and then got promoted

Percentage football gets results and we should never have tried to go full circle

You can pine and whine like an abandoned old dog for pretty football but needs must and boy do we need some fight in the next 5 games
    It wasn’t all long ball with Warnock, we played some lovely stuff early in the season whipping Leeds and Villa. Were we 3 nil up v Villa by half time ? Look at them now 5 years on……

Sludge, why don't you just ****off repeating yourself in your quest to be right all of the time. Get a gym membership or something.

International

I think this team lacks the nous and bottle for a relegation fight and we are going down

I hope not but we have failed to show we have what it takes recently

I find it incredible we haven't managed to put a decent unbeaten run together

Warnock would have kept us up the evidence is overwhelming
    A good win tonight against a playoff-chasing team, and a great comeback from a bad start, they showed plenty of fight and bottle, Kaba is looking like a great player for us

International

I think so. Wickham was out of contract I think.

Apart from McGuinness, we haven't really got a lot of height at the back, not that height is necessarily the main attribute to ability in the air. For what is a relatively short defence, we spent much of the season with one of the best defensive records in the division, so a lack of height couldn't have been too much of an issue.
    The defence has played well over the season, especially when you consider the keeper is poor and doesn't command his area, he did quite well tonight mind.

Why did you get a bloke from Leeds to sort your internet? Surely get someone from Cardiff, or wherever you live John? Poor c(nt must have driven miles.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    A good win tonight against a playoff-chasing team, and a great comeback from a bad start, they showed plenty of fight and bottle, Kaba is looking like a great player for us
    It's about time

It's been a shocking season and if it wasn't for points deductions and the next 3 points we hope for we would be down

Thank freck for tonight some breathing space now

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Why did you get a bloke from Leeds to sort your internet? Surely get someone from Cardiff, or wherever you live John? Poor c(nt must have driven miles.
    The modern world

I phone up plusnet and talk to someone in Leeds

Lamouchi win percentage at Cardiff - 36%
    Warnock win percentage at Hudd - 33%

The modern world

I phone up plusnet and talk to someone in Leeds
    I see