+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lamouchi quiz question

Lamouchi quiz question

Lamouchi joins other City managers Bartley Wilson, Billy Jennings, Trevor Morris, George Swindin, Russell Osman and Mick McCarthy in achieving what stat?

Re: Lamouchi quiz question

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Lamouchi joins other City managers Bartley Wilson, Billy Jennings, Trevor Morris, George Swindin, Russell Osman and Mick McCarthy in achieving what stat?
    Playing poncey football unlike Warnock ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Playing poncey football unlike Warnock ?
    Hang on, you've praised Lamouchi for playing long ball. Are you now suggesting that's not the case?

More away wins than home wins?

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    More away wins than home wins?
    No, but it relates to wins.

I thought Billy Jennings was a striker who used to play for West Ham, I had to look him up to find out that he was also once our manager -- I've not a clue about the answer to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I thought Billy Jennings was a striker who used to play for West Ham, I had to look him up to find out that he was also once our manager -- I've not a clue about the answer to your question.
    To be honest, I doubt anyone would be able to guess it! They're the only City managers who, out of their first 5 wins as manager, 4 of them were by 2 or more goals. I find it quite remarkable that 4 of our 5 wins under Lamouchi have been by 2 goal margins, so relatively comfortable. 4 of our 8 defeats under him have also been by 2 (or more) goal margins. That adds up to 8 games under Lamouchi have had at least a 2 goal margin, while only 6 have been won or lost by a solitary goal, or been drawn (just 1).

To be honest, I doubt anyone would be able to guess it! They're the only City managers who, out of their first 5 wins as manager, 4 of them were by 2 or more goals. I find it quite remarkable that 4 of our 5 wins under Lamouchi have been by 2 goal margins, so relatively comfortable. 4 of our 8 defeats under him have also been by 2 (or more) goal margins. That adds up to 8 games under Lamouchi have had at least a 2 goal margin, while only 6 have been won or lost by a solitary goal, or been drawn (just 1).
    You're right I'd never have guessed. Not that it matters one jot, but I think you're slightly wrong in including George Swindin. His first win was 4-2 against Charlton but the next two were 1-0 wins against Derby and Chelsea.

With all those high scoring wins we're no longer the lowest scorers in the league - Wigan have scored 2 fewer than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    With all those high scoring wins we're no longer the lowest scorers in the league - Wigan have scored 2 fewer than us.
    I admit I was surprised how "good" our defence is (well at least amongst the bottom 10 clubs).

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    You're right I'd never have guessed. Not that it matters one jot, but I think you're slightly wrong in including George Swindin. His first win was 4-2 against Charlton but the next two were 1-0 wins against Derby and Chelsea.
    That's interesting. I had Swindin in my database as starting on Oct 1st 1962. That's what appears on some websites. Wikipedia suggests he started on Oct 30th, another source suggests Nov 1st.

This causes a slight issue. We beat Southampton away 5-3 on Oct 31st, so it would be good to know if he was manager for that match.

Charlton wouldn't have been his first victory in any case as we beat Rotherham 4-1 a week before on Nov 10th.

I can now amend the stat. Instead of George Swindin, the duo of caretaker bosses Ron Stitfall and Ernie Curtis saw 4 of their first 5 wins were by 2 goals or more.

Until Lamouchi was appointed, the only game we'd won this season by more than a single goal margin was Wigan away when we made it 3-1 in added time. The fact that we've suddenly started winning matches by two goal margins makes me wonder if our attitude is a bit different under Lamouchi when we go ahead - are we a bit less to sit back and try to hold on to one goal leads?

It's a hard one to jump to conclusions about. For example, the 2-0 win at Birmingham was gained with two very late goals and thinking back to when we led 3-0 at Middlesbrough in September, we weren't exactly sitting back defending after we'd gone 2-0 up. However, I'd say that at Blackpool and Watford, we recognised that we had our opponents rattled and went chasing a third goal (and a fourth on Wednesday) while we were on top - I wouldn't say that was a common attitude under Cardiff teams under any of the five managers before Lamouchi. I'm not saying we've gone gung ho under Lamouchi because we were cautious in the second half of both of the recent games where we'd score three in the first forty five minutes, but maybe we have a little more licence to attack under this manager when we get ahead?

That's interesting. I had Swindin in my database as starting on Oct 1st 1962. That's what appears on some websites. Wikipedia suggests he started on Oct 30th, another source suggests Nov 1st.

This causes a slight issue. We beat Southampton away 5-3 on Oct 31st, so it would be good to know if he was manager for that match.

Charlton wouldn't have been his first victory in any case as we beat Rotherham 4-1 a week before on Nov 10th.

I can now amend the stat. Instead of George Swindin, the duo of caretaker bosses Ron Stitfall and Ernie Curtis saw 4 of their first 5 wins were by 2 goals or more.
    The Sunday Mirror match report of the 4-1 win against Rotherham on November 10th 1962 indicates that Swindin would be taking up his duties the following Monday (12th). I may be wrong but I think there was some contractual issue with Norwich which prevented him starting work with City until about a month after he was appointed

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    The Sunday Mirror match report of the 4-1 win against Rotherham on November 10th 1962 indicates that Swindin would be taking up his duties the following Monday (12th). I may be wrong but I think there was some contractual issue with Norwich which prevented him starting work with City until about a month after he was appointed
    Thanks for that. I'll update my spreadsheet.