+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Kaba, Denmark and the Championship

Kaba, Denmark and the Championship

Whenever Robert Glatzel's scoring record for Hamburg is mentioned on here, some contributors are quick to suggest that the ex-City striker is scoring so many goals in Bundesliga 2 because that league is significantly weaker than the Championship.

During the first half of the current campaign, Sory Kaba scored just 2 goals in 12 (+2) Danish Superliga appearances for FC Midtjylland. Since arriving in Cardiff, he's scored 7 goals in 10 (+3) Championship appearances.

So, does anyone reckon the Danish Superliga is a stronger league than the Championship?

Kaba's complete scoring record in the Danish top flight is as follows:

2019/20 - 7 goals in 22 (+8) appearances

2020/21 - 11 goals in 23 (+4) appearances

2022/23 - 2 goals in 12 (+2) appearances

Overall - 20 goals in 57 (+14) appearances

Kaba seems to be finding the Championship a slightly easier hunting ground than the Danish league, especially this season. He had a similar purple patch to his current run last season, scoring 6 goals in 8 games for O-H Leuven while on loan in Belgium, but then he failed to find the net in any of his final 7 games. His overall record for O-H Leuven was 10 goals in 19 (+7) appearances.

One thing's for sure, Kaba's a fascinating player to watch. There have been times when he's looked hopeless and his first touch is often erratic, but he can certainly score goals and is capable of some brilliant moments, as we saw on Wednesday. He's proving a very effective loan signing.

Re: Kaba, Denmark and the Championship

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Whenever Robert Glatzel's scoring record for Hamburg is mentioned on here, some contributors are quick to suggest that the ex-City striker is scoring so many goals in Bundesliga 2 because that league is significantly weaker than the Championship.

During the first half of the current campaign, Sory Kaba scored just 2 goals in 12 (+2) Danish Superliga appearances for FC Midtjylland. Since arriving in Cardiff, he's scored 7 goals in 10 (+3) Championship appearances.

So, does anyone reckon the Danish Superliga is a stronger league than the Championship?

Kaba seems to be finding the Championship a slightly easier hunting ground than the Danish league, especially this season. He had a similar purple patch to his current run last season, scoring 6 goals in 8 games for O-H Leuven while on loan in Belgium, but then he failed to find the net in any of his final 7 games. His overall record for O-H Leuven was 10 goals in 19 (+7) appearances.

One thing's for sure, Kaba's a fascinating player to watch. There have been times when he's looked hopeless and his first touch is often erratic, but he can certainly score goals and is capable of some brilliant moments, as we saw on Wednesday. He's proving a very effective loan signing.
    A player may score three times as many goals in one season with the same club and in the same division as compared to a previous season. There may be many factors involved and not just the perceived status of the league involved, of course.

Sometimes, I reckon a change of scene, fresh start is all it is….and boom off you go. Bit like women…..

It’s because we’re playing with 2 lumps instead of 1.

Teams found it too predictable, our midfield was too slow to support strikers or get behind. Our defence would look to lump it to the solo target man at any opportunity.

All the opposition had to do was get tight and pressurise.

I don’t think glatzel is any worse than Kaba, probably better than him in all honesty. Although I don’t think any could cut it at a higher level but I do think Glatzel had it a lot tougher during his spell here and I do think he would have looked better than he did if he was placed in this formation, arguably though with much weaker players than he did have.

He was a square peg in a round hole.

As for your question I have no idea

sample sizes are too small to make any sensible comparison really

Glatzel scored 4 in 29 for Heidenheim in the 17/18 season and 13 in 26 for Heidenheim in the 18/19 season.

So I guess that suggests the Bundesliga 2 is significantly weaker than the Bundesliga 2.... err wait a moment.

I'd bet that the Danish league is more technical than the championship, slower in approach etc, so less mistakes, that doesn't mean a stronger league though. Point i'm making is that in Denmark the ball is probably played into Kaba at ground level more often than not, and i think that most of us will agree that he isn't really about that. With us, it's chest height and above, more direct, that's where his power is, that's where he's strong and athletic, so it suits him, i'd say, a bit like it did Gestede (eventually) There's also a load of mistakes made at championship level in terms of defending, and that's not just on the ball, but players switching off etc. So, maybe we play to his strengths.

I must add that i have never seen a Danish league game and had never heard of Kaba before he came to us, so it's likely that i'm talking bollocks.

International

He's happy, and really seems to be enjoying his football and time in Cardiff if you're happy in work and not feeling over pressured you maximise your productivity, I think that has a lot to do with it. Plus of course, the players like him, trust him and are giving him good opportunities. He's a good Striker at this level and is doing a great job.

Glatzel is a good Striker too, it just didn't work out for him here for whatever reason?

International

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    He's happy, and really seems to be enjoying his football and time in Cardiff if you're happy in work and not feeling over pressured you maximise your productivity, I think that has a lot to do with it. Plus of course, the players like him, trust him and are giving him good opportunities. He's a good Striker at this level and is doing a great job.

Glatzel is a good Striker too, it just didn't work out for him here for whatever reason?
    Kaba's confidence has grown a lot too, he's taking more chances and making better runs, and his heading seems miles better than when he first arrived. Also, Sabri may have improved him, they certainly seem to get on, and he's consistently getting picked over the other Strikers, we are playing to his strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Glatzel didn't work because his strengths aren't suited to playing in Britain, or more so his weaknesses (pace and strength) make him unsuited to playing over here. In a really good side he might have been OK but as a lone striker in an average side he was always going to struggle. He couldn't hold it up, he couldn't run away from anyone and he wasn't a creative force.

Kaba is big and strong, so he can hold the ball up. He is a fascinating player, he is so random. He puts the ball in the back of the net and is a proper, proper handful. Sometimes I don't think he knows what he's going to do next, so defenders don't either.

Kaba is a route one striker

My kind of player

I think a box in the box would work well with him

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    A player may score three times as many goals in one season with the same club and in the same division as compared to a previous season. There may be many factors involved and not just the perceived status of the league involved, of course.
    Indeed, old fruit. It was a rhetorical question. I’m always amused by the simplistic reasoning of some where Glatzel is concerned. Makes me laugh.

It would be interesting to see how Kaba would fare in this division if he was playing in a team that is a bit more technical than our lot, or if he was playing as a lone striker in the manner that Glatzel often was.

It would also be interesting to know what sort of genuine market value he has now. He apparently signed a five-year contract with FC Midtjylland in July 2019, so he has another year left. I suspect they will be looking to cash in this summer.

Indeed, old fruit. It was a rhetorical question. I’m always amused by the simplistic reasoning of some where Glatzel is concerned. Makes me laugh.

It would be interesting to see how Kaba would fare in this division if he was playing in a team that is a bit more technical than our lot, or if he was playing as a lone striker in the manner that Glatzel often was.

It would also be interesting to know what sort of genuine market value he has now. He apparently signed a five-year contract with FC Midtjylland in July 2019, so he has another year left. I suspect they will be looking to cash in this summer.
    So, having seen both Glatzel and Kaba play, who would you choose to wear the blue shirt and why?

Im really not sure how good Kaba is and whether hes just going through a bit of a golden spell.

However he has without doubt been a very good loan. Would he be worth paying a permanent fee. Im not sure. We havent the option anyway thanks to the embargo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    So, having seen both Glatzel and Kaba play, who would you choose to wear the blue shirt and why?
    I’d choose Kaba simply because he’s far more amusing. He genuinely makes me laugh at times and I like the fact that he’s so unconventional. He’s like a Championship version of LFW - a bit less physical and a fair bit more talented, but he has the same sort of entertainment value.

Kaba and Glatzel would make an interesting front two.

I’d choose Kaba simply because he’s far more amusing. He genuinely makes me laugh at times and I like the fact that he’s so unconventional. He’s like a Championship version of LFW - a bit less physical and a fair bit more talented, but he has the same sort of entertainment value.

Kaba and Glatzel would make an interesting front two.
    Okay, not quite the answer I was expecting. I thought you might have based it on his goals tally, as opposed to Glatzel's lack of goals.
    You weren't so amused by Glatzel it would seem.
    Were you glad that Glatzel left the City at the time, or did you think it was a wrong decision by the club?

I realise that your contribution was to stimulate discussion, old fruit

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Okay, not quite the answer I was expecting. I thought you might have based it on his goals tally, as opposed to Glatzel's lack of goals. You weren't so amused by Glatzel it would seem. Were you glad that Glatzel left the City at the time, or did you think it was a wrong decision by the club?
    I was glad he went for his sake. I often felt sorry for Glatzel. He frequently looked disappointed during games when it wasn’t working out for him. Although he scored a few decent goals, he clearly wasn’t ideally suited to the way City were playing and it was only likely to get worse under McCarthy, so it made sense for him to move on when he did.

I liked Glatzel but he wasn’t a good fit for City under the likes of Warnock or Harris. It might have worked out under a different manager as he’s obviously a goalscorer, but we’ll never know.

The opposite seems to have happened with Kaba. He seems to have got a new lease of life here as it wasn’t working out in Denmark. They sent him out on loan to Belgium last season and the club he was with apparently didn’t take up an option to buy him, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens next.

I was glad he went for his sake. I often felt sorry for Glatzel. He frequently looked disappointed during games when it wasn’t working out for him. Although he scored a few decent goals, he clearly wasn’t ideally suited to the way City were playing and it was only likely to get worse under McCarthy, so it made sense for him to move on when he did.

I liked Glatzel but he wasn’t a good fit for City under the likes of Warnock or Harris. It might have worked out under a different manager as he’s obviously a goalscorer, but we’ll never know.

The opposite seems to have happened with Kaba. He seems to have got a new lease of life here as it wasn’t working out in Denmark. They sent him out on loan to Belgium last season and the club he was with apparently didn’t take up an option to buy him, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens next.
    I’ve seen Glatzel twice in the flesh this season- both derby games - and he’s looked lightweight both times. In fact looking online this morning he gets consistently poor ratings for last night’s performance. On the other hand I read that he has got more shots away than any other B2 striker and is second highest goal scorer. Maybe he doesn’t like playing against St Pauli

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I’ve seen Glatzel twice in the flesh this season- both derby games - and he’s looked lightweight both times. In fact looking online this morning he gets consistently poor ratings for last night’s performance. On the other hand I read that he has got more shots away than any other B2 striker and is second highest goal scorer. Maybe he doesn’t like playing against St Pauli
    Just watched the highlights of last night's game - mad! Why was that St Pauli goal disallowed at 0-0?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just watched the highlights of last night's game - mad! Why was that St Pauli goal disallowed at 0-0?
    Not sure - haven’t seen it again but was there adjudged to have been a foul in the build up? Can’t help feeling that St Pauli threw that away!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Not sure - haven’t seen it again but was there adjudged to have been a foul in the build up? Can’t help feeling that St Pauli threw that away!
    They certainly had their chances - more than Hamburg did. Think it must have been a foul with the disallowed goal, definitely wasn’t offside.

Lets be honest, the Championship isn't a great league.

There's no great teams in it, just a few top quality players sprinkled around, like you see with most feeder leagues. Would Burnley win the Danish league? possibly. It's probably on par with middling European Leagues.

Vincent Kompany said the Championship is the same level as the Belgian League.

Perhaps the Danish league is slightly more refined / skill full than the championship. So the battering ram approach along with a bit of ability has it the right spot. Or maybe this manager knows how to play him to his strengths and gets the players to adapt accordingly. It would have been interesting to see Kaba and Robinson together , the stant and dale of 2024 ? - but if he is going back then that'll never happen now