+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Married Blokes only

Married Blokes only

Any of you married blokes have a wife who hasn't taken your name after the great day?

I've just read that RFK Juniors wife hasn't taken his name, this seems reasonably common with politicians, our dearest Nicoliar and her old man being another example, also Yvette Cooper and Ed Balls, probably with a bit of research quite a few more.

Re: Married Blokes only

My father in law unfortunately passed away suddenly after a massive heart attack
    His surname was the only one in the phone book so out of respect she wanted to keep the name
    I completely understood
    Our kids names are double barrelled using both our surnames 👍

My sister in law kept her own name, primarily because she's a surgeon and changing it would have caused confusion in the wider medical profession.
    Keeping the maiden name I think is not that uncommon these days.

I reckon a quarter of the married couples I know have retained their own names.

A growing number of ‘celebrities’ combine or hyphenate their names (not that I know any).

A few men take their wife’s name on marriage (like Meg and Jake White of the White Stripes). Rare but getting more common.

Apologies for replying as I’m not married. Cohabiting for 38 years and Civil Partnered for 20 months - both happily carrying on with the names we have had all our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I reckon a quarter of the married couples I know have retained their own names.

A growing number of ‘celebrities’ combine or hyphenate their names (not that I know any).

A few men take their wife’s name on marriage (like Meg and Jake White of the White Stripes). Rare but getting more common.

Apologies for replying as I’m not married. Cohabiting for 38 years and Civil Partnered for 20 months - both happily carrying on with the names we have had all our lives.
    Not accepted

I think Bloop is on the money with many now not following tradition, I have no motive for the question just an observation and Sunnysideup response is sad in that his wife no longer has her dad, and uplifting that she has kept her fathers name

Few and far between. I can probably only think of one couple I know of where the woman hasn't taken his surname, and one gay couple where they didn't also.

Often it's for any future kids as much as anything.

I can honestly say both my girls having a double barrelled surname has actually helped them in life.
    Not sure if it’s stereotypical elitism but they always seem to get through the interview process with ease and land the jobs they’re after.
    Being drop dead gorgeous like their mum couldn’t possibly be a factor 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I can honestly say both my girls having a double barrelled surname has actually helped them in life.
    Not sure if it’s stereotypical elitism but they always seem to get through the interview process with ease and land the jobs they’re after.
    Being drop dead gorgeous like their mum couldn’t possibly be a factor 😉
    Are their surnames Fortune-West? That would open doors in this city

I think everyone's surname she remain alive , think the adoption of a male surname in marriage is very dated .

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Are their surnames Fortune-West? That would open doors in this city
    More so than Poverty - East ?

I thought double-barrelled surnames were exclusively used for shotgun weddings.

my first wife took my name (and is still using it). I wouldn't have been bothered either way, but she wanted to be traditional.

my second wife has kept her name, in her culture they don't change names upon marriage, so it was never raised as an issue

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I thought double-barrelled surnames were exclusively used for shotgun weddings.
    I know an aspirational young lady who insisted that her fiancé make his own name double-barrelled before she married him in order that she inherit a posher nomenclature.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I know an aspirational young lady who insisted that her fiancé make his own name double-barrelled before she married him in order that she inherit a posher nomenclature.
    Hope you gave her the answer she deserved, Taunton Blue!

My wife has gone for the double-barrel on her passport, and used her maiden name at work for years, as she thought changing it might somehow risk her career progression. A large part of this is that her first name combined with my surname sounds really crap!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I knew a bloke named David Goode who married a woman whose surname was Evans. They formed a double barreled surname and everyone referred to them in astonishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I knew a bloke named David Goode who married a woman whose surname was Evans. They formed a double barreled surname and everyone referred to them in astonishment.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Funnily enough, my mother's first name was Jean.