+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bournmouth's style of play

Bournmouth's style of play

I'm pleased Gary O'Neil has been successful so far in consolidating Bournmouth's place in the Premiership - not least because of his Cardiff and Pompey connections.

I've watched a number of the Cherries' matches recently. Normally the system a side is using is obvious, but I haven't got a clue about Bournmouth's style of play, apart from using a main striker and a No 10.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Re: Bournmouth's style of play

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I'm pleased Gary O'Neil has been successful so far in consolidating Bournmouth's place in the Premiership - not least because of his Cardiff and Pompey connections.

I've watched a number of the Cherries' matches recently. Normally the system a side is using is obvious, but I haven't got a clue about Bournmouth's style of play, apart from using a main striker and a No 10.

I havent a clue what our style of play is let alone Bournemouths.

He only played about 9 games for City but I still remember he was a class above many of our players. I' m sure there are plenty of other loanees that I have forgotten.

I haven't watched Bournemouth play, but I would be interested to know how they play as it could be a blueprint for us. Would I be correct in saying that they mix it up a bit? Decent players who work to the strength of the team? This could be an interesting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    He only played about 9 games for City but I still remember he was a class above many of our players. I' m sure there are plenty of other loanees that I have forgotten.
    He was superb for us, I especially remember him starring in a night game vs West Ham which we won 4-1 (I think).

Koumas was a close second I'd say.

I too am pleased for GO'N.
    He spoke well earlier in his interview and had some awful luck this season but continued his ethos.
    They looked doomed only a few weeks ago but has done brilliantly to steady the ship.

Found this which is illuminating:

After Parker, O'Neil switched "to 4-2-3-1. But in all three matches he has chosen to revert to a back three during the second half.

The key difference with that pattern is that the players are pushing higher up to make that shape more of an offensive 3-4-2-1.

O’Neil’s tactical shift made a huge difference at Forest, where his side came back from 2-0 down to win. In that match, it was noticeable how much he encouraged his midfielders and wing-backs to take more risks by making runs into advanced areas....Bournemouth have been bolder in an attacking sense since the change was made.

O’Neil has reduced caution and given his players the confidence to try and get at their opponents.

They may have had the fewest shots in the division, but AFC Bournemouth are a fit, hard-working side who have outrun each of their seven opponents. That said, O’Neil’s arrival has still sparked a significant upturn in the distance covered by the players per 90 minutes.

AFC Bournemouth players ran an extra 7.5km in their next match at home to Wolves, totalling 115.4km.

That was O’Neil’s first match and the team have followed that up by recording their second and third-highest numbers for distance covered in the next two outings.

They are posing an increased goal threat because of additional forward runners, and in defence that collective endeavour has given them a more compact defensive shape."

That all makes perfect sense. The team seems to dominate opponents, create chances and look dangerous. They also have several technically proficient players. If O'Neil has identified this style and the players have bought into it, credit to them all.

Yes. It's Bournemouth not Bournmouth. You're welcome.

Did Moore get substituted as a substitute yesterday, or was he injured ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Did Moore get substituted as a substitute yesterday, or was he injured ?
    Took a knock