+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unfriending on facebook

SuperBluebirds91

Unfriending on facebook

I have noticed that one of my former work colleagues had recently unfriended me. I thought I hadn’t seen any of her posts for a while and that’s why I then looked her up. I haven’t interacted with her that much but have done a few likes on her posts every now and then. The thing is I was thinking perhaps she is just weeding out friends but then I noticed every single person from my former work place is still on her friends list. It sounds funny but I feel abit strange about it all. There is no history nothing bad between me and her we were just work colleagues and got on well enough. I just don’t understand why me? I’m really not too bothered but Facebook is a funny place isn’t it!

In terms of my own posts mostly are positive - I’ve posted a couple about the effects that my illness has on me and people with the condition but nothing too depressing. Was it a mistake or did she just not like me?

Re: Unfriending on facebook

It's not worth trying to decode people's online activity. There could be many reasons. I quite often unfriend people if we don't really have any online interaction. It's human nature to read the worst case scenario into things I guess but it's seldom correct.

PS stand by for posts telling you how pointless/awful/dangerous Facebook is 👍

Does she have young children? I know that as a father of young girls myself, I’ve had to be very ruthless with who I’m “friends with” on Facebook etc because occasionally I do want to share pictures or videos of them to show close friends and family how they’re doing and you just never know if that nice enough guy you used to work with is actually a wrong’un.

Don't take it to heart mate. Happens to everyone. Social media and the online world is a pretty unpleasant place and it's not making us happier, partly for reasons like you cite here.

Almost certainly though, she just wanted to tidy up her friends list a bit, often because we may be giving our personal information etc to people we don't know that we'll. It's highly unlikely you are the only person, and it's happened to us all.

Social media can let anxiety it. Close the door on its face when that comes knocking and say, No! Not today today thanks!

"We were just work colleagues" is your answer. Don't even consider it. I know that plenty of people rely on Facebook, but it isn't real, it's not personal, people are looking for attention, simply because they have a platform which encourages it and they can't resist. I know that it's personal preference, but as an Adult, i couldn't imagine myself giving a shit if a person didn't want to share pictures of their kids, holiday, new car or the proverbial 'Holding an alcoholic drink' for no apparent reason. In fact, i'd be pleased that they'd ****ed me off.

SuperBluebirds91

Thanks for all your replies. She did have a son who sadly passed away years ago and she also has another child. I think the thing is if she had taken the other former colleagues off than it wouldn’t have made me question it but I take your point - I really should t care that much as I’m not really in contact with her anymore. Facebook has been good for certain things but I do think the bad parts of it outweighs the good parts. It’s often full of trolls who like to jump on any reports etc whether negative or positive. I’ve had a few friends who have come off Facebook because it was affecting their mental health and I wonder whether I should take a break anyway. I think the most fascinating thing about Facebook is that it can connect you to people from your distant past. It has been great but that are so many negatives about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBluebirds91 View Post
    I have noticed that one of my former work colleagues had recently unfriended me. I thought I hadn’t seen any of her posts for a while and that’s why I then looked her up. I haven’t interacted with her that much but have done a few likes on her posts every now and then. The thing is I was thinking perhaps she is just weeding out friends but then I noticed every single person from my former work place is still on her friends list. It sounds funny but I feel abit strange about it all. There is no history nothing bad between me and her we were just work colleagues and got on well enough. I just don’t understand why me? I’m really not too bothered but Facebook is a funny place isn’t it!

In terms of my own posts mostly are positive - I’ve posted a couple about the effects that my illness has on me and people with the condition but nothing too depressing. Was it a mistake or did she just not like me?
    Work colleagues, you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    Does she have young children? I know that as a father of young girls myself, I’ve had to be very ruthless with who I’m “friends with” on Facebook etc because occasionally I do want to share pictures or videos of them to show close friends and family how they’re doing and you just never know if that nice enough guy you used to work with is actually a wrong’un.
    you can set up " post audience " and share to a " Family and close friends " group ( and just have specific people in that group

I use Facebook as a online diary, I love having memories pop up from 10 years ago of things we have done, I posted " one for me " for a few months, but a few of our distant friends said they missed seeing what the girls were doing

What's "facebook" :

People going on holiday and posting photos of what they had to eat

The only people responding ? Their mothers

It's very odd

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    People going on holiday and posting photos of what they had to eat

The only people responding ? Their mothers

It's very odd
    All very odd. Not like you telling strangers all about your holidays to west wales and talking nonsense about fishing, enquiring if people live in flats, that’s not odd at all. Not to mention how much you dislike the Premier league. No, not in the least bit odd.

To the OP I think maybe you should cancel your Facebook account if you are that insecure. Your reaction is irrational to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    All very odd. Not like you telling strangers all about your holidays to west wales and talking nonsense about fishing, enquiring if people live in flats, that’s not odd at all. Not to mention how much you dislike the Premier league. No, not in the least bit odd.
    It's a selective audience on here you soppy tart

Facebook is a behemoth

It's a selective audience on here you soppy tart

Facebook is a behemoth
    I've never bothered with Facebook. What's the crack with it now, is it a middle aged thing, blokes in leathers and Motorbikes etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I've never bothered with Facebook. What's the crack with it now, is it a middle aged thing, blokes in leathers and Motorbikes etc?
    I believe the young uns are into Instagram etc these days

The worst ones are the community hubs that have taken over from the women's institute and the like

Some absolute fruit cakes on there

I believe the young uns are into Instagram etc these days

The worst ones are the community hubs that have taken over from the women's institute and the like

Some absolute fruit cakes on there
    twitter is ok for you metal . thrash and motley crews etc

people on there posting sabbath etc all bluddy day !

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    twitter is ok for you metal . thrash and motley crews etc

people on there posting sabbath etc all bluddy day !
    I think a woman going on holiday to a quiet peaceful Greek island with her husband and having a pleasant meal is losing her mind if she then posts a photo of the meal and puts it on Facebook

And only her mother says that's lovely dear !

Absolutely mad and her 3000 mates clearly agree or they would be over it like a rash

I think a woman going on holiday to a quiet peaceful Greek island with her husband and having a pleasant meal is losing her mind if she then posts a photo of the meal and puts it on Facebook

And only her mother says that's lovely dear !

Absolutely mad and her 3000 mates clearly agree or they would be over it like a rash
    What i can't understand is people having this wonderful tool in front of them, they can communicate with people far and wide, learn things, Educate themselves, yet they Befriend Bob from down the road who they see in Spar three times a week and on two of those occasions they hide behind the Bread so that they don't have to strike up a conversation, yet spew their guts on Facebook. ****ing weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It’s had its day, if it wasn’t for the groups ( some ok football ones like lost grounds etc) on it or marketplace I’d have ditched it when I deleted about 250 people I barely ever knew 5 years ago….I guess some people might take offence at that but if I hadn’t seen or heard from them in over 10/20 years I guess I can live with out them. I’m sure people have deleted me too….it’s just the way

Rather predictably, the thread has veered away from the OP's point and turned into a Facebook bashing exercise.

I use Facebook to keep lightly in touch with friends I have around the world and although, no doubt, that my posts on there and here may bore and/or irritate those who read them, my pet hates on Facebook are posts that:

1. Show people"s Wordle efforts every day
    2. Quoted mindless platitudes/maxims
    3. People thanking their nearest and dearest for something when they are probably next to each other on the sofa
    4. Show photos of comestibles about to be masticated

I know what people may find annoying about my pompous contributions, however

I would worry about it.
    It seems to bring the absolute worst out of people who are show offs, attention seekers and voyeurs. People go on holiday and put dozens of photos every day documenting their every move. People live stream a band they are watching instead of living in the moment and taking it all in. I know several people who have quite unhappy personal lives - relationship, debt etc but if you viewed them through their Facebook account you'd think they were living the dream. It should be called Fakebook.
    I have an account which I use only for certain groups or when a band is playing but I never look at individual stuff. That's where you find out that bloke you haven't seen for 30 years but knew from school, is now a racist prick

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I use Facebook to keep lightly in touch with friends I have around the world and although, no doubt, that my posts on there and here may bore and/or irritate those who read them, my pet hates on Facebook are posts that:

1. Show people"s Wordle efforts every day
    2. Quoted mindless platitudes/maxims
    3. People thanking their nearest and dearest for something when they are probably next to each other on the sofa
    4. Show photos of comestibles about to be masticated

I know what people may find annoying about my pompous contributions, however
    Worldly quotes showing a solitary soul sitting on top of a mountain looking at the sunset are right up there for me too, particularly when I see the people who posted it who are the polar opposite of the kind and caring soul they profess to be….
    Also, rather than unfriending, not responding positively to a friend request is deemed far worse and is an excellent way in this modern world of just saying F off like we used to back in the day…..

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Rather predictably, the thread has veered away from the OP's point and turned into a Facebook bashing exercise.
    No, it’s good for some stuff…..there are just plenty of weirdos out there like we all know. Most stuff is alright in small doses isn’t it