+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Ashes Thread

Re: Official Ashes Thread

We just got Willow TV here in Canada and subscription is the equivalent of £4.50 a month, so I paid for 2 months. I’m really only interested in test cricket these days and the last 5 days were a great spectacle - love it. Great to watch, and both teams should be applauded. Much rather see a result either way than a draw.
    The dinosaur traditionalist pundits will undoubtedly be critical but that was some pretty exciting stuff to watch

Entertaining game but looking a bit ominous for England. Home advantage, won the toss and still they lost. Can’t see both Smith and Labuschagne not getting big runs in either innings happening again. The declaration looked a silly gimmick at the time and so it proved. Think Australia can only improve but can England? Wood and Foakes must start to have any chance.

Only an idiot declares on the first day of a test match in an ashes series.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

There’s also consequences to picking Bairstow as wicketkeeper (someone said on Test Match Special that it’s a few years since Bairstow has played as a test wicketkeeper and that his body shape had changed in that time - they weren’t surprised that his wicket keeping, which was never top class, had declined).
    Sky showed an interesting comparison of Bairstows missed stumping and Carey's stumping of Root.
    Bairstow's whole upper body had to move to try to catch the ball, as if his back was stiff and shoulders frozen, whereas Carey's arms and hands moved much quicker and independently to stumping Root.
    I was quite supportive of Bairstows inclusion as keeper but I've changed my mind. Trouble is,the current squad has been picked for the first 2 tests, so barring injury, Bairstow will keep in the 2nd aswell.

I didn't realise Australia had won until just now as I had to take the wife to the hospital.

Fantastic result, one more win should see the Ashes retained.

Always want England to win but some of the football chanting over the last few days was OTT in my opinion. The chant at Lyon was just embarrassing especially as he is the clear difference between the two teams. Banter is great but constant shouts of wanker, wanker, wanker is for beered up dick heads not proper cricket fans. Well done both teams for a magnificent game

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I'd argue they'd have been able to move the game on quicker without declaring. I think there were 6 overs left in the day when they declared, lost 2 overs due to it so the Aussies faced 4 overs. Bright blue skies, pitch not doing much and root pinging sixes into the crowd. Just let root carry on playing T20 style for the last 6. They could well have ended up with another 50/60 quick runs against what was a tired looking bowling attack. As it was , Warner and khawaja had to face 4 overs in good conditions, they were probably glad to get out for a bat. If it was September and cloudy , and the ball was swinging round corners it would have made a lot more sense
    Yep this. A huge gamble that failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Always want England to win but some of the football chanting over the last few days was OTT in my opinion. The chant at Lyon was just embarrassing especially as he is the clear difference between the two teams. Banter is great but constant shouts of wanker, wanker, wanker is for beered up dick heads not proper cricket fans. Well done both teams for a magnificent game
    A lot of the players don’t hear chanting apparently.

With regards to OTT chanting I take it you never watched a test at Eden Gardens in the very late 70’s and 80’s ?

All good fun.

I get the annoyance with the chanting but having been to Australia for the cricket there is nothing worse than a pissed up Australian. By that I mean about 2 beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I get the annoyance with the chanting but having been to Australia for the cricket there is nothing worse than a pissed up Australian. By that I mean about 2 beers.
    No doubt, I can imagine. Our version is more orchestrated, as a result it dominates the background noise. No wonder there are increasing alcohol free areas at cricket grounds

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Yep this. A huge gamble that failed.
    it was all about billy big bollocks stokes look at what im doing, its obvious he shouldnt have played with the little bowling he could manage and when ali got a blister they were out of it, as said earlier let root have a go for half an hour them runs would have helped being with being what was 2 bowlers short

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

As much as I disagreed with stokes declaration, feel a bit sorry for him with some of the post game slatings I'm seeing for it around the press . Talk of him having to 'defend' it etc. You don't have the benefit of hindsight when making the decision, whereas some critics were happy to stay quiet for days then pipe up at end of the game.

If England had won we'd have been subjected to thousands of words from these same hacks on how 'the tone of the match was set from the first ball 4' and how the Aussies never recovered blah blah blah.

Also quite surprised to see England's approach being lauded in some quarters as the reason the game was so compelling. Maybe I'm just a cricket nerd, but the first ashes test when the teams are perceived to be evenly matched is always an exciting, supercharged event. Can't wait for the next test, think it's going to be an absolute cracker .

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    it was all about billy big bollocks stokes look at what im doing, its obvious he shouldnt have played with the little bowling he could manage and when ali got a blister they were out of it, as said earlier let root have a go for half an hour them runs would have helped being with being what was 2 bowlers short
    Nobody complained about Billy Big Bollocks Stokes when we won 3-0 in Pakistan. This reaction is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Nobody complained about Billy Big Bollocks Stokes when we won 3-0 in Pakistan. This reaction is pathetic.
    England had a few key elements of luck go against them in this test. They would have won comfortably otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    England had a few key elements of luck go against them in this test. They would have won comfortably otherwise.
    If you offered anyone that England would need to get 2 tailenders out, with 60 runs to play with, they’d have snapped your hands off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If you offered anyone that England would need to get 2 tailenders out, with 60 runs to play with, they’d have snapped your hands off.
    I was quite surprised to see Pat Cummins average was only about 16. In my head the blokes an all rounder, seen him play some wonderful innings. Although the stats would suggest that test wise he's a bowler who can bat a bit.

I'm just looking through some stats and I never knew what a graveyard Lord's has been for England in the Ashes.

37 tests played at Lord's between the two - England have 7 wins, 15 draws and 15 Aussie victories. That might not look too bad, but England won 4 of the first 6 tests between the two at Lords. So, until England won in 2009 at Lord's, they'd only one won test against Australia at Lord's in 113 years. Australia have won 6 of the last 10 with 2 England victories and 2 draws. Both the recent draws were as a result of rain - in 1997 England made a whopping 77 all out in the first innings but batted out a draw after rain delays with relative ease.

Quite a poignant story about that one England win in one hundred and thirteen years as well. Hedley Verity took fifteen wickets in England's victory at Lords in 1934 and was killed in action nine years later through wounds suffered during the Allies invasion of Sicily.

A question for older cricket fans on here - the Ashes weren't being contested in the only England v Australia test I've seen at Lords, when was the game played?

Quite a poignant story about that one England win in one hundred and thirteen years as well. Hedley Verity took fifteen wickets in England's victory at Lords in 1934 and was killed in action nine years later through wounds suffered during the Allies invasion of Sicily.

A question for older cricket fans on here - the Ashes weren't being contested in the only England v Australia test I've seen at Lords, when was the game played?
    How old?
    I thought i heard mentioned the other day about a one-off centenary test in 1980? Don't remember if myself as the only centenary test I recall was in Australia in 1977 when Derek Randall got a big score.

First Team

I want to say the 1980's centenary test but not entirely sure on this.

I know there was a centenary test in Australia when Randall scored a century. There have been regular highlights of Randalls performance that day.

i would say the it was in the seventies but not sure

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    How old?
    I thought i heard mentioned the other day about a one-off centenary test in 1980? Don't remember if myself as the only centenary test I recall was in Australia in 1977 when Derek Randall got a big score.
    Yes, I went to the first day of the 1980 Centenary test, from memory, Kim Hughes scored a century (I see Graeme Wood got one as well which, obviously, made no impression on me!). The game wasn’t a patch on the one from three years earlier you mention which finished with exactly the same result as the game it was celebrating - this one fizzled out into a dull, rain affected, draw.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...full-scorecard

Yes, I went to the first day of the 1980 Centenary test, from memory, Kim Hughes scored a century (I see Graeme Wood got one as well which, obviously, made no impression on me!). The game wasn’t a patch on the one from three years earlier you mention which finished with exactly the same result as the game it was celebrating - this one fizzled out into a dull, rain affected, draw.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...full-scorecard
    All pace attack chosen for Lords including Josh Tongue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66022952