+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Ashes Thread

Official Ashes Thread

Off to see Glenn McGrath and Aggers tonight , will be interesting to see if McGrath predicts his usual 5-0 whitewash

Archer has to be fit for us to stand any change of a series victory.

Re: Official Ashes Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Off to see Glenn McGrath and Aggers tonight , will be interesting to see if McGrath predicts his usual 5-0 whitewash

England at home can beat the convicts without Archer.

Im going 3-2 England.

First Team

Can't see past an Aussie series win but England being competitive throughout.
    Depending on the weather and supply of sandpaper but my money would be 3 - 1 to Australia.

Stokes wants fast, hard pitches which means Archer, Wood and Stone getting games if fit I’d guess. Given a choice between pitches like that and typical English green tops, I’d have thought the Aussies would choose the former - either way, I quite fancy an England win unless Stoke’s and McCullum really aren’t bothered about losing games.

Englands main problem is still the openers. Im not convinced at all with any of them.

I hope Ben Foakes keeps wicket and isnt cast aside to get Bairstow in.

McCullum and Stokes are definitely doing things differently. I know theres a lot of talk about Bairstow opening but im wondering if they may look at sending Foakes in 1st.

I think there a few concerns over the fitness of Ben Stokes and we're not hearing the full extent.
    As for the openers I can see Bairstow taking over from Crawley,although I think Crawley will be given one last chance against Ireland. Bowling wise, there's an abundance of riches. I think both Broad and Anderson will play with Wood in the first Test, then after that i can see 1 of Archer/Wood, 1 of Broad/Anderson and one of Potts/Robinson/Stone/Mahmood.
    Tough to call the series outcome.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Stokes opening the batting - Duckett and Crawley have both scored big hundreds this season mind.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Wouldn’t be surprised to see Stokes opening the batting - Duckett and Crawley have both scored big hundreds this season mind.
    McGrath predicted a 5-0 victory in the men’s Ashes

cant see them winning many on hard pitches

Australia haven’t won a series over here since McGrath’s playing days have they, yet I think they’d be 20-0 up on aggregate based on his predictions

I reckon England should be thinking in terms of any cricket Archer plays in the Ashes as being a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I reckon England should be thinking in terms of any cricket Archer plays in the Ashes as being a bonus.
    Don't need him in English conditions, either. Robinson, Broad, Woakes, Anderson, Potts, Wood and Stokes are a really potent attack over here.

I'd play Anderson, Broad (if Warner plays), Robinson and Leach.

Re the openers, Duckett is a seriously talented batter and it looks like he's done a fair bit of growing up recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Don't need him in English conditions, either. Robinson, Broad, Woakes, Anderson, Potts, Wood and Stokes are a really potent attack over here.

I'd play Anderson, Broad (if Warner plays), Robinson and Leach.

Re the openers, Duckett is a seriously talented batter and it looks like he's done a fair bit of growing up recently.
    I dont think they can rely on Stokes to bowl many overs. I think there will be a 4th seamer.

Id leave Leach out. Hes not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I dont think they can rely on Stokes to bowl many overs. I think there will be a 4th seamer.

Leach is the best of a bad bunch , the cupboard is bare in the slow bowler department.

Dom Bess anyone ?

Leach is the best of a bad bunch , the cupboard is bare in the slow bowler department.

Dom Bess anyone ?
    He probably is. Id just use Root as the spinner. We have nobody near Lyons ability.

He probably is. Id just use Root as the spinner. We have nobody near Lyons ability.
    Hopefully with Stokes wanting fast pitches , the spinner might not be as important as normal.

The Aussies have Lyon and Matthew Kuhnemann, who looked good in India

They'll play Leach. You need someone to bowl overs.

It'll be 3 seamers, Leach and Stokes will bowl a bit, as will Root.

Hopefully with Stokes wanting fast pitches , the spinner might not be as important as normal.

The Aussies have Lyon and Matthew Kuhnemann, who looked good in India
    Root took a 5fer in India...

Kuhnemann got injured playing for Durham, too. He probably won't tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They'll play Leach. You need someone to bowl overs.

It'll be 3 seamers, Leach and Stokes will bowl a bit, as will Root.
    They do need someone to get through overs. Problem is Leach will concede a lot of runs as well.

England are weak in the opening dept and spinning option.

Leach is probably the best spin option but I think he will take a hammering.

They do need someone to get through overs. Problem is Leach will concede a lot of runs as well.

England are weak in the opening dept and spinning option.

Leach is probably the best spin option but I think he will take a hammering.
    Leach took 12 wickets for 26 at 3.05 an over last time he played Australia in the UK.

Umpires soft signal scrapped for the Ashes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/65599978

I’m going to Lords and The Oval. It should be good.

Archer set to miss this summers Ashes

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...tress-fracture

Bairstow back as Foakes left out of England squad for Ireland test.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/65608618

Where’s Bairstow going to bat?