+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Ashes Thread

Re: Official Ashes Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I've wondered how that would have panned out if City had been involved.

Imagine Swansea scoring a winner in Cardiff from a similar situation. I reckon there would even be a handful of City fans, wrongly of course, on the pitch remonstrating and the atmosphere would turn very, very ugly. I doubt many City fans would be saying we should have "played the whistle".
    I'd be fuming but I'd also be fuming at our players for getting within 5 yards but rather than tackle hold their hands out, then screaming in the refs face like he had a choice one he didn't give the foul. I'm also not a fan of the knock the ball out when someone is knocked. Other than an Erikson type incident where the speed which treatment is received really matters just wait a a minute until there's a break in play. May stop players pretending they are hurt.

I didn't see any England fans complaining two days ago when Bairstow tried exactly the same thing he got dismissed for today. If he was more competent and hit the wickets they'd all be patting him on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I'd be fuming but I'd also be fuming at our players for getting within 5 yards but rather than tackle hold their hands out, then screaming in the refs face like he had a choice one he didn't give the foul. I'm also not a fan of the knock the ball out when someone is knocked. Other than an Erikson type incident where the speed which treatment is received really matters just wait a a minute until there's a break in play. May stop players pretending they are hurt.

I didn't see any England fans complaining two days ago when Bairstow tried exactly the same thing he got dismissed for today. If he was more competent and hit the wickets they'd all be patting him on the back.
    Not often I change my mind completely, but after seeing that Barstow attempt on Marnus I have. It was him who probably put the idea in their heads. It was a childish attempt by bairstow, that deserved to be reciprocated

I didn't watch the Bairstow incident live,but caught up with it on TMS throughout the afternoon (whilst watching Glamorgan capitulate again).
    The more I watch it, the more I think it's sloppy by Bairstow. Alex Carey released the ball immediately- he didn't walk giving the impression that he also thought it was over - he was still playing the delivery to a conclusion.
    Spirit of the game, yes potentially Cummings could have considered withdrawing the appeal, but this is the Ashes, and its hard to conclude that the Aussies did anything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Not often I change my mind completely, but after seeing that Barstow attempt on Marnus I have. It was him who probably put the idea in their heads. It was a childish attempt by bairstow, that deserved to be reciprocated
    One is at the end of the over, after Bairstow has already marked his ground. The other is because Marnus walks half way down the wicket after every shot. Apart from that, they’re identical.

It all stems from the fact umpires often don’t call over now. They’d started walking to square and standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    'Why is Wales not a cricket nation like Scotland and Ireland?'

https://www.iwa.wales/agenda/2019/09...d-and-ireland/
    Laughable they think Glamorgan would continue to be a county side. Why would the ECB fund a county they don’t benefit from and where it is an open secret the ECB want to cut down on the number of counties?

Our best players won’t be allowed to play county cricket unless they’re classed as an overseas, and most tournaments happen during our summer. Someone would have to plug millions of pounds of lost funding. The “international tournaments” they speak of bring in peanuts. Ireland have played 7 tests since they were awarded test status. The whole thing is crap, if I'm honest and the ICC is worse than FIFA. Wales can’t play a qualifier for years, they’d have to get promoted through various leagues to get a sniff at playing Ireland or Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    One is at the end of the over, after Bairstow has already marked his ground. The other is because Marnus walks half way down the wicket after every shot. Apart from that, they’re identical.

It all stems from the fact umpires often don’t call over now. They’d started walking to square and standing.
    I don't really see the difference. The fundamental point is 'was the ball dead' . It's not up to bairstow to decide when the end of the over comes, that's up to the umpire. would like to wager that if bairstow hadn't tried to run out Marnus, Carey never would have got the idea

So, there is no funding for cricket without the ECB. There is no investment in facilities and the sport dries up.

I've played cricket since I was 7, and the entire time all I wanted to do was play for England. It has never been an issue for me, and every single kid I played with (be it for my club or county) had the same ambition. Cricket is not football, it is a closed shop due to the insane decisions of the ICC (and BCCI). I love cricket, it is a special sport in worse hands than football.

I remember playing an age group final in Aberdare in 2005, we'd finished by the time Giles hit the winning runs and everyone went mental. There were hundreds there, everyone went bonkers. I often see this issue on twitter etc and it is almost always started by people who fundamentally don't like cricket. "Maybe I'd be interested if Wales had a team" etc. Bollocks.
    100% it's almost always people who aren't cricket fans trying to apply rivalries from another sport onto cricket

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I think both Mike Powell and Adrian Dale came close to the odd cap. Dale toured with the A or Lions team.
    Colin Metson was also good enough but was playing at a time when the selectors rarely coughed up the Severn toll fees.
    Metson’s lack of ability with the bat went against him as far as England was concerned - he was left out of the Glamorgan team for Adrian Shaw at times as well.

Think David Hemp went on a Lions/A tour as a Glamorgan player didn’t he and Dean Cosker may have as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I don't really see the difference. The fundamental point is 'was the ball dead' . It's not up to bairstow to decide when the end of the over comes, that's up to the umpire. would like to wager that if bairstow hadn't tried to run out Marnus, Carey never would have got the idea
    Marnus was half way down the wicket. The issue is with the umpires. They don’t call over. They’d started walking off and Bairstow had marked his ground, whereas Marnus was nearly at midwicket

Marnus was half way down the wicket. The issue is with the umpires. They don’t call over. They’d started walking off and Bairstow had marked his ground, whereas Marnus was nearly at midwicket
    Let’s get this straight, it was the correct decision however given the fact that a Bairstow dismissal would have exposed the tail on a last day of the match , given the circumstances, the Aussies were wrong.

Considering they released a Netflix documentary trying to repair the damage of sandpaper gate , then I would have expected a different outcome with this team.

Clearly I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Let’s get this straight, it was the correct decision however given the fact that a Bairstow dismissal would have exposed the tail on a last day of the match , given the circumstances, the Aussies were wrong.

Considering they released a Netflix documentary trying to repair the damage of sandpaper gate , then I would have expected a different outcome with this team.

Clearly I was wrong.
    It’s got nothing to do with the tail, or the winning, it’s a wanker’s trick. Stokes said he would have withdrawn the appeal and I have no doubt he would have given he asked the umpires to take 4 runs off England’s total in the World Cup final.

The convicts are so upset about the stick they’re getting because they know it is justified. It is lower than Mankadding.

It’s got nothing to do with the tail, or the winning, it’s a wanker’s trick. Stokes said he would have withdrawn the appeal and I have no doubt he would have given he asked the umpires to take 4 runs off England’s total in the World Cup final.

The convicts are so upset about the stick they’re getting because they know it is justified. It is lower than Mankadding.
    Perhaps they are jealous of the positive attention BazBall is getting throughout the cricket world ?

I’ve kept wicket since I was 11 years old and I’m just approaching 60 and in all that time I would never have considered doing what Carey did, but it was perfectly legal to do so.

I have thrown down the stumps while standing back many a time when the batsman was batting outside his crease and was in the habit of not returning to his crease after each delivery. But Bairstow was batting in his crease and after each delivery he checked that he was behind the crease before wandering off. As some commentators have said his thought process was dozy, but the dismissal certainly leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

I seem to remember Alvin Kallicharan being given out against England many years ago in similar circumstances off the last ball of the days play, but England withdrew the appeal overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I’ve kept wicket since I was 11 years old and I’m just approaching 60 and in all that time I would never have considered doing what Carey did, but it was perfectly legal to do so.

I have thrown down the stumps while standing back many a time when the batsman was batting outside his crease and was in the habit of not returning to his crease after each delivery. But Bairstow was batting in his crease and after each delivery he checked that he was behind the crease before wandering off. As some commentators have said his thought process was dozy, but the dismissal certainly leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

I seem to remember Alvin Kallicharan being given out against England many years ago in similar circumstances off the last ball of the days play, but England withdrew the appeal overnight.
    thers a clip on youtube of that on mcc spirit of cricket interesting to see stuart broad laughing about what happened on it

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post

That’s a good example because there was the same argument about whether “time” had been called or not - I think Tony Greig who had thrown down the wicket then went on to win the game with his off spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Metson’s lack of ability with the bat went against him as far as England was concerned - he was left out of the Glamorgan team for Adrian Shaw at times as well.

Think David Hemp went on a Lions/A tour as a Glamorgan player didn’t he and Dean Cosker may have as well.
    I think back in those days there was much more of an obsession amongst England selectors to pick players with the proper "textbook" technique, rather than someone more unconventional but effective. Test matches were seen as the ultimate examination of a player's technique and the best way to succeed was to play the textbook way. Hence certain players got so many chances.
    that seems a lot less of a consideration these days.

Stokes said he would have withdrawn the appeal and I have no doubt he would have given he asked the umpires to take 4 runs off England’s total in the World Cup final.
    He didn't do that though and I don't believe for one second England would have acted any differently and neither should they.

He didn't do that though and I don't believe for one second England would have acted any differently and neither should they.
    David Gower said on commentary that he would have withdrawn the appeal, and I believe him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    David Gower said on commentary that he would have withdrawn the appeal, and I believe him.
    Maybe he would have but there's as many controversial incidents where people have withdrawn the appeal as haven't.

People making out England are the moral bastions of cricket are deluded.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That’s a good example because there was the same argument about whether “time” had been called or not - I think Tony Greig who had thrown down the wicket then went on to win the game with his off spinners.
    https://youtu.be/qBSgfZzbpPM

This was more out in my mind as Kalicharan didn’t make any effort to return to his crease which would be the sensible thing to do but I fully agree with England withdrawing their appeal…eventually!!

Ben Stokes asked them to take 4 runs off the board in the Final.

Ben Stokes asked them to take 4 runs off the board in the Final.
    He confirmed on the Tuffers and Vaughan podcast that he didn't.

He confirmed on the Tuffers and Vaughan podcast that he didn't.
    Ha, he told Vaughan in 2019 that he did. Although this is MPV, a world class dickhead telling this story

Ha, he told Vaughan in 2019 that he did. Although this is MPV, a world class dickhead telling this story
    https://www.outlookindia.com/website...-stokes/335226

One of those stories that gets told so often it gets believed, then.