+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Ashes Thread

Re: Official Ashes Thread

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Bairstow back as Foakes left out of England squad for Ireland test.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/65608618

Where’s Bairstow going to bat?
    Bairstow will bat at 7

Harsh on Foakes , much better W/K

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Bairstow will bat at 7

Harsh on Foakes , much better W/K
    That’s too low for him if he plays anywhere near as well as he did last summer - I’d move him up at least one place and have Stokes at seven.

That’s too low for him if he plays anywhere near as well as he did last summer - I’d move him up at least one place and have Stokes at seven.
    Bairstow wants to bat at 7, I think. He's also so destructive there.

Pope, Root, Brook, Stokes, Bairstow. One of the best middle orders in modern times. Disgustingly good.

Archer out for the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Archer out for the series.
    Archer is done.

Disappointing about Foakes and Archer.
    I guess where Bairstow bats will depend on where Stokes wants to bat. Stokes, Bairstow and Brook at 5 6 7, with possibly Lawrence at 8, is a fairly tasty proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Disappointing about Foakes and Archer.
    I guess where Bairstow bats will depend on where Stokes wants to bat. Stokes, Bairstow and Brook at 5 6 7, with possibly Lawrence at 8, is a fairly tasty proposition.
    Lawrence at 8? Who is going to bowl?!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Lawrence at 8? Who is going to bowl?!
    If Leach isn't effective, then Root and Lawrence could share spinning duties, just to hold an end whilst the faster bowlers do the business at the other end.

Foakes being left out is really disappointing.

Really good middle order. Opening isnt strong and Pope coming in probably early most innings isnt ideal.

If Leach isn't effective, then Root and Lawrence could share spinning duties, just to hold an end whilst the faster bowlers do the business at the other end.
    You're only picking 2 seamers, then? Robinson will bat 8, with Wood/Broad, Leach and Jimmy. Stokes cannot be relied upon to bowl. Leach is absolutely guaranteed to play unless he gets injured or the pitch is the greenest seamer we've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Foakes being left out is really disappointing.

Really good middle order. Opening isnt strong and Pope coming in probably early most innings isnt ideal.
    Surely it isn't that disappointing. He's been dropped for a world class batter who is a very good keeper.

Team picks itself, it is one seamer from Potts/Wood/Broad (if Anderson is fit). Also, there's loads of rubbish written about Duckett. The bloke is an extremely, extremely talented cricketer who has finally screwed his head on. He's averaging 46 in his 14 innings opening the batting. We'll have some of that.

You're only picking 2 seamers, then? Robinson will bat 8, with Wood/Broad, Leach and Jimmy. Stokes cannot be relied upon to bowl. Leach is absolutely guaranteed to play unless he gets injured or the pitch is the greenest seamer we've ever seen.
    Sorry, I meant that if Leach doesn't play then Lawrence comes in.
    3 seamers which I think will be Robinson Broad Anderson in the first Ashes test, then rotated after that.

Sorry, I meant that if Leach doesn't play then Lawrence comes in.
    3 seamers which I think will be Robinson Broad Anderson in the first Ashes test, then rotated after that.
    You can't go into a test match with 3 bowlers and a few part timers.

You can't go into a test match with 3 bowlers and a few part timers.
    If Leach gets injured, then who plays? Icant see them playing Reham Ahmed at home as a single spinner for a while,and why pick Lawrence if he's not there as Leachs replacement?

If Leach gets injured, then who plays? Icant see them playing Reham Ahmed at home as a single spinner for a while,and why pick Lawrence if he's not there as Leachs replacement?
    I think I’d trust Root as first choice spinner above Lawrence - Jacks is playing for Surrey again now.

Lawrence isn't a front line spinner, he's taken 20 wickets in first class cricket. If Leach gets injured, they'll call someone up, which will probably be Ahmed or Jacks. They've basically called up the team, plus 1 batter and 3 extra bowlers because the want to protect the seamers. Everyone else should get game time while quicks need to be managed.

Leach ruled out of series.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Leach ruled out of series.
    That’s a really big blow for Australia

Whoever comes in it will probably mean an increased workload for Joe Root.

Whoever comes in it will probably mean an increased workload for Joe Root.
    Paul Farbrace said it should be Moeen Ali, but he also said that England might decide to go without a “proper” spinner in the early tests - I’d agree with that, they need four seamers plus Stokes.

They should go all out to get Rashid to play. (If hes fit)

Looking at the 2 squads I'd much prefer that Aussie one. Lot depends on Warner for me, can he perform? If he doesn't are they willing to make a tough selection call?

Paul Farbrace said it should be Moeen Ali, but he also said that England might decide to go without a “proper” spinner in the early tests - I’d agree with that, they need four seamers plus Stokes.
    Of all the players in the squad, losing Leach is the one that has the biggest influence on the balance of the team. I'd love Moeen to come back and I think he'd be more tempted if a bit if consistency in terms of batti g position can be offered to him. Batting at 8 will do that. Having Stokes as a bowling option isn't that important with 4 seamers but the odd 2 or 3 over spell at certain times could be useful,if that's all he can manage.