+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Official Ashes Thread

Re: Official Ashes Thread

Haven't seen a single ball today due to work. Been In and out on Cricinfo. Their end of innings write up said both teams would be disappointed, with the Aussies disappointed that 283 were scored against them on a good bowling day, although that's been followed by Oz getting to a serene looking 42/0, which makes me think they may have overegged the help available for bowlers. Few good experts in this thread, how would you say the day has gone?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Haven't seen a single ball today due to work. Been In and out on Cricinfo. Their end of innings write up said both teams would be disappointed, with the Aussies disappointed that 283 were scored against them on a good bowling day, although that's been followed by Oz getting to a serene looking 42/0, which makes me think they may have overegged the help available for bowlers. Few good experts in this thread, how would you say the day has gone?
    The England openers and Moeen and Brook made batting look easy for a while, but it seemed a good bowling day to me. The BBC website said England were “skittled” out for 283 which I thought was very harsh and I see they’ve now changed it to bowled out.

I’ve not seen any of Australia’s reply, but it’s disappointing that they haven’t lost a wicket - if they get to the close with no wickets down, it’ll definitely be their day.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The England openers and Moeen and Brook made batting look easy for a while, but it seemed a good bowling day to me. The BBC website said England were “skittled” out for 283 which I thought was very harsh and I see they’ve now changed it to bowled out.

I’ve not seen any of Australia’s reply, but it’s disappointing that they haven’t lost a wicket - if they get to the close with no wickets down, it’ll definitely be their day.
    Cheers Bob. Hopefully the weather stays away and we get a good game.

Thought Marnus was going to cry there. Stop whining and get back to the changing room. Great catch by Root. Light didnt bother him.

The Steve Smith (not) run out by Jonny Bairstow is still strangely being debated by the "expert" whether it was the correct decision.

The bails were dislodged by Bairstow's gloves a split second before he'd got the ball and Ricky Ponting says that it should be out because Smith hadn't made up the ground at the time the ball had been gathered.

I was always brought up to believe that if you hit the stump before you caught the ball on a run out, the stump needs to be pulled out.

Therefore Smith correctly not out.

Simples shirley

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The Steve Smith (not) run out by Jonny Bairstow is still strangely being debated by the "expert" whether it was the correct decision.

The bails were dislodged by Bairstow's gloves a split second before he'd got the ball and Ricky Ponting says that it should be out because Smith hadn't made up the ground at the time the ball had been gathered.

I was always brought up to believe that if you hit the stump before you caught the ball on a run out, the stump needs to be pulled out.

Therefore Smith correctly not out.

Simples shirley
    If both bails are off you have to pull the stump out. They werent in this case.

Think the 3rd umpire believes it was the glove which dislodged the bail when Smith was just out of his ground. Tight call probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    If both bails are off you have to pull the stump out. They werent in this case.

Think the 3rd umpire believes it was the glove which dislodged the bail when Smith was just out of his ground. Tight call probably right.

Stokes WOW!

Funny that the first innings of the final test has mirrored the series as a whole.

Completely on a knife edge with England playing 'Bazball' and Australia being a lot more conservative but finishing slightly ahead.

What is the most important thing style or substance? Are England the Tottenham must attack or playing the Swansea way and everyone's favourite second team, with the Aussies the evil 442 route one merchants that are Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Funny that the first innings of the final test has mirrored the series as a whole.

Completely on a knife edge with England playing 'Bazball' and Australia being a lot more conservative but finishing slightly ahead.

What is the most important thing style or substance? Are England the Tottenham must attack or playing the Swansea way and everyone's favourite second team, with the Aussies the evil 442 route one merchants that are Cardiff City.
    Bit unfair but ive seen it called Bazball v Snoozeball today.

Good morning for England, 130-1 off twenty five overs (terrible over rate yet again) - Stokes batting at three and, unbelievably, Zac Crawley is fast becoming favourite to be the highest run scorer on either side in the series with his unbeaten 71.

Good morning for England, 130-1 off twenty five overs (terrible over rate yet again) - Stokes batting at three and, unbelievably, Zac Crawley is fast becoming favourite to be the highest run scorer on either side in the series with his unbeaten 71.
    Controlled aggression, good move from Stokes as well as he certainly has the temperament.

Stuart Broad announces his retirement after the Ashes.

I can understand James Anderson doing such a thing but Broad?

Is he serious or just a publicity stunt

Stuart Broad announces his retirement after the Ashes.

I can understand James Anderson doing such a thing but Broad?

Is he serious or just a publicity stunt
    Publicity stunt?

There's no tests on home soil for 11.5 months. I fully expect Jimmy will follow tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Publicity stunt?

There's no tests on home soil for 11.5 months. I fully expect Jimmy will follow tomorrow.
    Think Anderson may want to try to get to 700 wickets before retiring.

Broad’s retirement is a shock only if, like I do, you think of him as a youngster compared to his bowling partner, but thirty seven is pretty ancient for a quick bowler - Anderson is a freak.

Think I'd be more surprised if Anderson retired now than if he didn't. If he does retire tomorrow he'll announce it before the start of play to ensure a decent send off, but I think he'll carry on.
    Not surprised at Broad going. Probably thinking with a new kid he'd rather spend more time at home than spending much of the winter away.

Think Anderson may want to try to get to 700 wickets before retiring.

Broad’s retirement is a shock only if, like I do, you think of him as a youngster compared to his bowling partner, but thirty seven is pretty ancient for a quick bowler - Anderson is a freak.
    I'd be surprised if Anderson gets there. Broad is the best bowler England have, he's a world class player still. Anderson has gone. I wouldn't take him to India, is Jimmy really going to make it to a home series in 2 weeks short of 12 months time?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I'd be surprised if Anderson gets there. Broad is the best bowler England have, he's a world class player still. Anderson has gone. I wouldn't take him to India, is Jimmy really going to make it to a home series in 2 weeks short of 12 months time?
    I must admit that I have to agree with this.

No doubt in my mind that Broad has so much more in his locker.
    He's been awesome this series and is turning out to be one of the England all time greats.

Jimmy has been found out this series.
    He may be a decent container but as far as taking wickets go he's been poor by his own standards and in IMHO he should step down before he is pushed.

Perhaps Broad's decision is made after looking at Jimmy.

I must admit that I have to agree with this.

No doubt in my mind that Broad has so much more in his locker.
    He's been awesome this series and is turning out to be one of the England all time greats.

Jimmy has been found out this series.
    He may be a decent container but as far as taking wickets go he's been poor by his own standards and in IMHO he should step down before he is pushed.

Perhaps Broad's decision is made after looking at Jimmy.
    It has to be said that Anderson is pretty much undroppable for all he's achieved. He'll decide when it's time to finish. I reckon he has a say in what tests he can miss as rest time.

It reminds me of our own legend, Peter Whittingham, when it was clear in his last couple of seasons that he wasn't the player he was, but how could you drop a club legend?

I actually think Broads retirement is genius. He's been very, very good all this series, but is bowling at a level he hasn't often achieved through his career. He's been a bowler of great spells(most against the Aussies who's heads he's got into) rather than a great bowler. Trip to India ahead where he's been utterly awful.

This allows him to go out on his own terms. Going now means he's going to down as a legend of the game. Which is actually pretty remarkable when you think how far behind in terms of talent and average he is from the modern day greats.

He's a clever bloke (who likes the limelight) and this works perfectly for him.

Looking at the BBC forecast, it could be a case of watching the rain come down post lunch today and tomorrow looks like one of those frustrating sunshine and showers days - it may be we end up with another draw.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I actually think Broads retirement is genius. He's been very, very good all this series, but is bowling at a level he hasn't often achieved through his career. He's been a bowler of great spells(most against the Aussies who's heads he's got into) rather than a great bowler. Trip to India ahead where he's been utterly awful.

This allows him to go out on his own terms. Going now means he's going to down as a legend of the game. Which is actually pretty remarkable when you think how far behind in terms of talent and average he is from the modern day greats.

He's a clever bloke (who likes the limelight) and this works perfectly for him.

Looking at his career average this current series mirrors his form which improves from 2013 onwards.

He’s has also developed an out swinger to right handlers.

http://www.cricmetric.com/playerstat...er&format=Test

Bowling averages for the series so far

http://www.cricmetric.com/series.py?...9&show=bowling

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Looking at his career average this current series mirrors his form which improves from 2013 onwards.

He’s has also developed an out swinger to right handlers.

http://www.cricmetric.com/playerstat...er&format=Test

Bowling averages for the series so far

http://www.cricmetric.com/series.py?...9&show=bowling
    You're correct about his series average mirroring his career average. Although I think what those averages also show are how poorly a lot of the other pacemen have done. There won't be many series where broad has performed better over 5 games than vastly superior bowlers like Jimmy, cummins and Hazelwood.

Broad leaves now with a '600 wicket, legend' legacy. If he stayed and hit a flat spell then there's a fair chance that his legacy would be looked at very differently. His career average certainly doesn't have him anywhere near exalted company

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Great post mate. As a very, very casual viewer of cricket I’ve throughly enjoyed the series and found myself fully captivated. I was gutted the way the 4th test and ultimately the chance to win the Ashes finished.

Long live Baz Ball
    Yes, that's me too. A real part-timer but absolutely loving this series. It's even made me look at how I could get tickets for a county match.

Stuart Broad what a legend.
    I went to Lords to watch Glammy play Nottinghamshire in the 1 day Cup final about 10 years ago.
    The Glamorgan fans were giving him stick as he fielded on the boundary near us he just turned around and smiled. He then took us apart with the ball and right at the end of the match he came back over to us took his sweater off and gave to a disabled Glamorgan supporter in a wheelchair.
    The Glamorgan fans to a man stood up and applauded him.