+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Ashes Thread

Re: Official Ashes Thread

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    stokes is not fit enough to bowl maybe
    Fit enough to get the Worlds best batsmen.😃

First time I've sat down and watched for any length of time for a long time........but why do they need to emulate footballers when they take a wicket???Almost kissing on the neck! Oh for the stoicism of Barrington, Edrich, Boycott etc.... and I still wince when I hear 'batters' instead of batsmen....I mean I see no females out there.....

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    First time I've sat down and watched for any length of time for a long time........but why do they need to emulate footballers when they take a wicket???Almost kissing on the neck! Oh for the stoicism of Barrington, Edrich, Boycott etc.... and I still wince when I hear 'batters' instead of batsmen....I mean I see no females out there.....
    Feckin old timers 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Feckin old timers ��
    yeah I know....no standards...!!

Bad miss by Bairstow.

Another absorbing and delightful day of cricket.

Disappointed for Marnus, would have been nice to see a Welsh boy do well!! Bit of a daft shot to play foray ball. Barstow certainly have the Aussies a bit of a boost with a couple of poor misses. If the weather is ok and Carey gets going again, it could get ugly for England tomorrow.

The role of the wicket keeper severely underestimated. Its not as if Foakes is a crap batsman either.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Disappointed for Marnus, would have been nice to see a Welsh boy do well!! Bit of a daft shot to play foray ball. Barstow certainly have the Aussies a bit of a boost with a couple of poor misses. If the weather is ok and Carey gets going again, it could get ugly for England tomorrow.
    Im sure he will get plenty of runs this series.

However I hope he gets another 9 ducks.🤣

At least today has proved that Foakes has to play in the remainder of the series. Bairstow is worth his place as a batsmen in the team without doubt, but I’m sure if you looked at all 18 counties wicketkeepers he is easily the poorest of them all. Good standing back I don’t dispute, but standing up which is so much more difficult he couldn’t keep chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    At least today has proved that Foakes has to play in the remainder of the series. Bairstow is worth his place as a batsmen in the team without doubt, but I’m sure if you looked at all 18 counties wicketkeepers he is easily the poorest of them all. Good standing back I don’t dispute, but standing up which is so much more difficult he couldn’t keep chickens.
    Who do you leave out if you include Foakes though? Crawley's the obvious candidate I suppose, but he looked good in the first innings, as did Bairstow. Wasn't impressed by Duckett, but he'd been on a really good run before Friday's innings, so it would be very harsh to consider dropping him on the back of one bad test (he could still get a good score second time around as well).

Although Stokes has picked up a very important wicket, his place would be under threat now if it wasn't for his inspired captaincy because he's not scoring many runs and bowling is, clearly, much harder for his body to cope with these days. England also need an all rounder (I'd consider Curran if Stokes' bowling tails off like it may well do), but I'd also always want a spinner because England's attack would be very samey without one, I think the Aussies may have something to say about using thirteen mind

Think one of the seamers has to stand down for a Wood or Curran to give us something different in terms of pace bowling and, although I'd also be looking to play Foakes, for Crawley I suppose, I think they'll stick with Bairstow behind the stumps.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Who do you leave out if you include Foakes though? Crawley's the obvious candidate I suppose, but he looked good in the first innings, as did Bairstow. Wasn't impressed by Duckett, but he'd been on a really good run before Friday's innings, so it would be very harsh to consider dropping him on the back of one bad test (he could still get a good score second time around as well).

Although Stokes has picked up a very important wicket, his place would be under threat now if it wasn't for his inspired captaincy because he's not scoring many runs and bowling is, clearly, much harder for his body to cope with these days. England also need an all rounder (I'd consider Curran if Stokes' bowling tails off like it may well do), but I'd also always want a spinner because England's attack would be very samey without one, I think the Aussies may have something to say about using thirteen mind

Think one of the seamers has to stand down for a Wood or Curran to give us something different in terms of pace bowling and, although I'd also be looking to play Foakes, for Crawley I suppose, I think they'll stick with Bairstow behind the stumps.
    Shows how much we miss Archer , with him fit , he would have been the difference. Robinson looks laboured and ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Shows how much we miss Archer , with him fit , he would have been the difference. Robinson looks laboured and ineffective.
    I really didnt understand the Broad is playing instead of Wood. Id have had Broad ahead of Anderson and definitely Robinson for this Test.

Ideally at least one express pace bowler plays. Archer and Stone are both out and Wood will struggle to play 5 tests.

England can still win this but due to the errors yesterday Australia id say are favourites.

Should've batted them out of the game IMHO.

Another Bairstow drop. This was so predictable. They never learn. Admit the error and bring back Foakes. ( they wont though)

This really is game on now.

Exciting Test. I can see Lyon into the attack very quickly.

England need at least a 280 lead.

And **** off Labuschagne.!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    England need at least a 280 lead.

And **** off Labuschagne.!!!!
    Would have liked 300 …. Nervous as heck

That declaration is looking dodgier by the minute. I could understand it if it had been Robinson and Broad in at the time, but it wasn’t, there was one of England’s greatest ever batsmen with a hundred to his name, not Broad. It’s far from inconceivable that another fifty could have been scored and things would now be looking a lot different.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That declaration is looking dodgier by the minute. I could understand it if it had been Robinson and Broad in at the time, but it wasn’t, there was one of England’s greatest ever batsmen with a hundred to his name, not Broad. It’s far from inconceivable that another fifty could have been scored and things would now be looking a lot different.
    If we were 8 down with just the tail to bat then I would understand the declaration more, but with your best batsman still at the crease it doesn't appear to be the wisest move.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    If we were 8 down with just the tail to bat then I would understand the declaration more, but with your best batsman still at the crease it doesn't appear to be the wisest move.
    By declaring Stokes has guaranteed a result , which is good enough for me regardless who wins

281 to win. Game in the balance. England could have done with one of the batsmen kicking on from a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    By declaring Stokes has guaranteed a result , which is good enough for me regardless who wins
    As I mentioned before in this thread, Stokes declaring a booboo.

Throw the bat about for a few overs with a devil may care attitude, nothing to lose.

Aussies should win this.

Four sessions to bat sensibly.

Bairstow again.!!!! He shouldn't be behind the stumps. Theyve got this decision badly wrong.

Hopefully Aus motor this evening and get a fair chunk of the 280 on the board given the forecast for tomorrow.

If England lose it won't be due to the declaration it'll be the missed opportunities.