+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 2023/4 Season Ticket Sales

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 2023/4 Season Ticket Sales

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    This is the whole point though. It is mythical. No one knows what they look like and yet people get upset that it isn't the correct dragon.
    That is not the whole point.

Most Cardiff fans know what the Welsh dragon looks like. It is an emblem that appears everywhere around us, and hasn't changed too much through the history of its' use as a Welsh emblem. The early ones were on their hind legs, but still the shape was similar.

Many Cardiff fans know what a Chinese dragon looks like. Again it is an emblem that appears across UK cities and on TV.

It is not about 'what they look like'. They don't look like anything. They don't exist. The emblems exist and are recognisable.

There is a history of using a small Welsh dragon on the Cardiff badge. Personally I don't much like the traditional badge and would prefer something simpler and cleaner - actually I would prefer a bluebird emblem with Cardiff City and 1899 on it in san serif font - no fiddly bits and no clutter. But there is at least a heritage argument for a small Welsh dragon. The Chinese dragon is inappropriate, and a stain at the bottom of the badge. It is a symbol of the owner's ego and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Most Cardiff fans know what the Welsh dragon looks like. It is an emblem that appears everywhere around us, and hasn't changed too much through the history of its' use as a Welsh emblem. The early ones were on their hind legs, but still the shape was similar.

Many Cardiff fans know what a Chinese dragon looks like. Again it is an emblem that appears across UK cities and on TV.

It is not about 'what they look like'. They don't look like anything. They don't exist. The emblems exist and are recognisable.

There is a history of using a small Welsh dragon on the Cardiff badge. Personally I don't much like the traditional badge and would prefer something simpler and cleaner - actually I would prefer a bluebird emblem with Cardiff City and 1899 on it in san serif font - no fiddly bits and no clutter. But there is at least a heritage argument for a small Welsh dragon. The Chinese dragon is inappropriate, and a stain at the bottom of the badge. It is a symbol of the owner's ego and nothing more.
    You are absolutely correct but it’s wasted on dml who is just trying to wind people up by making very churlish - and childish points

The Chinese depiction of the dragon on our badge is Mr Tan’s point of saying it is my club, not yours

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Fair play this thread is nuts.

DML is literally the only person I've ever seen suggest these points about the dragon. Utter madness.