+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any regrets over the 2022 released players

Any regrets over the 2022 released players

Here's a quick snippet of the players that we released last season. It's excluded some of the players that have gone out on loan.

Alex Smithies Leicester
    Curtis Nelson Blackpool
    James Collins Derby
    Josh Murphy Oxford United
    Marlon Pack Portsmouth
    Ciaron Brown Oxford United
    Aden Flint Stoke City
    Will Vaulks Sheff Wed
    Sam Bowen Newport County
    Isaac Vassell Without Club
    Leandro Bacuna Without Club
    Sean Morrison Without Club

After having a quick flick through, none of them have really come back to bite us.

Bacuna has played more minutes than I expected
    Murphy has done a lot worse than I expected (has not regained any form)
    Ciaron Brown has done better than I expected
    Smithies don't think we had a choice in the matter but would have been an improvement.

Looks like all right decisions

Re: Any regrets over the 2022 released players

I would have kept Flint, he wasn’t the best player but at least he gave us a thread at set pieces and had some passion.

Given our issues up front, James Collins might have come in useful sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    I would have kept Flint, he wasn’t the best player but at least he gave us a thread at set pieces and had some passion.
    he'll be 34 in the summer and was probably on a big wage - i think it was the right move to get rid

Smithies is the only one people wanted to stay and he would have been of use but he had other ideas. The others had to go.

No one except maybe Smithies but he was on too much dosh. A younger Morrison yes but all the rest are journeyman at best and wouldn't have improved us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he'll be 34 in the summer and was probably on a big wage - i think it was the right move to get rid
    Fair enough but I would have offered him a lot less money.

Smithies as noted would have been a big improvement but we couldn’t afford by all accounts.

Think despite his limitations Flint probably would have saved us paying for Simpson, don’t think he’s worse especially under Lamouchi (but was never going to fit the way Morison wanted to play)

Collins would have been our best striker entering the season, which shows how much of a mess recruitment there was. And who knows in a parallel universe might have scored one of those early season sitters that Watters and Harris missed and we could have Morison still in charge.

Smithies and Flint if they had been on less money

International

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Smithies and Flint if they had been on less money
    Probably and I think Morrison the player would have been handy to have around in a relegation battle, although he was injured straight away again, wasn't he.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Smithies is the only one people wanted to stay and he would have been of use but he had other ideas. The others had to go.
    3rd choice keeper in a Premier League team, we can't compete with those wages. Madness and a shame really.

None really, Smithies is a better keeper than either of the ones we have now but he was never staying

What about the best ever transfer window - list of players signed ( not including loans)

Allsop
    Alnwick
    Romeo
    Simpson
    Daley- Campbell
    Collins
    Tanner
    O’Dowda
    Sawyers
    Ojo
    Rinomhota
    Adams
    Robinson
    Etete

Did I miss any other permanent signings?

Added to the squad - Robinson and O Dowda have been good signings. Etete was poor to begin with but has improved and may continue to do so therefore will include in this section

Average - Romeo and Allsop - I don’t rate Allsop but he’s not been awful, just we’ve been spoilt by much better keepers over the years. He’s okay as back up but would much prefer another number one.

Poor signings - Simpson, Sawyers, Rinomhota, Alnwick, Tanner and Daley -Campbell ( last two were only cheap gambles)

Terrible signing in a category of his own - Ojo

Jury out - Collins and Adams injured nearly all season, though Collins looked a good player in his first few games

Not the best result was it , half were awful signings - but still not many from the list of the ones we let go in 2022 would you keep over this lot.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    None really, Smithies is a better keeper than either of the ones we have now but he was never staying

What about the best ever transfer window - list of players signed ( not including loans)

Allsop
    Alnwick
    Romeo
    Simpson
    Daley- Campbell
    Collins
    Tanner
    O’Dowda
    Sawyers
    Ojo
    Rinomhota
    Adams
    Robinson
    Etete

Added to the squad - Robinson and O Dowda have been good signings. Etete was poor to begin with but has improved and may continue to do so therefore will include in this section

Average - Romeo and Allsop - I don’t rate Allsop but he’s not been awful, just we’ve been spoilt by much better keepers over the years. He’s okay as back up but would much prefer another number one.

Poor signings - Simpson, Sawyers, Rinomhota, Alnwick, Tanner and Daley -Campbell ( last two were only cheap gambles)

Jury out - Collins and Adams injured nearly all season, though Collins looked a good player in his first few games

Not the best result was it , half were awful signings - but still not many from the list of the ones we let go in 2022 would you keep over this lot.
    Collins looked very good in his brief spell playing, and got man-of-the-match awards from most fans, lets's hope he comes back OK and not injury prone forever.

Flint , Pack , Vaulks, Morrison

Allsop
    Alnwick
    Romeo
    Simpson
    Daley- Campbell
    Collins
    Tanner
    O’Dowda
    Sawyers
    Ojo
    Rinomhota
    Adams
    Robinson
    Etete

is alnwick really a poor signing? just a backup keeper?

Ojo, Sawyers and Rinomhota have been the biggest disappointments as they had some pedigree at this level

I think Romeo is a decent enough signing too

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Flint , Pack , Vaulks, Morrison
    do you not remember how dire they were at the end of their time here?

Allsop
    Alnwick
    Romeo
    Simpson
    Daley- Campbell
    Collins
    Tanner
    O’Dowda
    Sawyers
    Ojo
    Rinomhota
    Adams
    Robinson
    Etete

Ojo isn't very good currently but better than many others in our squad, Campbell, Tanner, Whyte, a few of the youngsters to name a few

On the other hand, look at our most recent loan signings:

22/23
    Philogene
    Nkounkou
    Kipre
    Kaba

21/22
    Drameh
    Doyle
    Doughty
    Hugill
    Ikpeazu

Only really Nkounkou and Doughly out of that lot weren't successes, and we didn't use Nkounkou that well and Doughty got injured - that's a pretty impressive hit rate, especially compared to how we have done in the past with loans.

I think Tanner will make the grade as a League footballer, not sure it'll be championship level, but it will be in the football league

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I think Tanner will make the grade as a League footballer, not sure it'll be championship level, but it will be in the football league
    Great loan spell at York, who finished 19th in the National League.

Two starts, four sub appearances, no goals.

York lost all six games he played in.

As regards regrets over the players released, none. Smithies is much better than Allsop, but he was too expensive and wanted to leave, so no point moaning about that. The rest are League One players except Bacuna, who was useless as often as not.

Last year's team was crap. This year's team is equally crap, but costs a less to maintain.

Assuming City get nothing at Burnley on Monday, last season's team gained four more points than the current side. They also scored nine more goals. However, they conceded thirteen more goals. Obviously, both of those figures could change on Monday and probably not for the better from the current side's point of view, but they do demonstrate that both teams were rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Great loan spell at York, who finished 19th in the National League.

Two starts, four sub appearances, no goals.

York lost all six games he played in.
    that might be, but he has time, could very well be a late developer, look at Kieffer Moore, he was still kicking around non-league at his OT's age

That some of them didn't leave sooner

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    that might be, but he has time, could very well be a late developer, look at Kieffer Moore, he was still kicking around non-league at his OT's age
    He could. Or he could be no good. Sadly, the latter is far more likely to be the case.

Incidentally, Tanner is just three months younger than Philogene.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    He could. Or he could be no good. Sadly, the latter is far more likely to be the case.

Incidentally, Tanner is just three months younger than Philogene.
    I think these are the types of gambles it's worth making. Although older than most 'prospects' he's not come through a professional route so is/was probably lacking the fitness, conditioning and the benefits of pro coaches & team mates.

The odds are always stacked against but it's potentially low risk high reward.

We've got another in Lennon Peake who has lost a year or two to injury who if lives up to his potential (against the odds) could be handy.