+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any regrets over the 2022 released players

Re: Any regrets over the 2022 released players

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    that might be, but he has time, could very well be a late developer, look at Kieffer Moore, he was still kicking around non-league at his OT's age
    After watching his 30 minute cameo appearance v Leeds, it'll be quite some time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    I think these are the types of gambles it's worth making. Although older than most 'prospects' he's not come through a professional route so is/was probably lacking the fitness, conditioning and the benefits of pro coaches & team mates.

The odds are always stacked against but it's potentially low risk high reward.

We've got another in Lennon Peake who has lost a year or two to injury who if lives up to his potential (against the odds) could be handy.
    Peaks is out of contract in summer.

The football would have been dire and we’d have finished bottom.

There have been numerous posts that our current team is one of the worst we’ve had, but it’d beat that bunch 8 or more times out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    That some of them didn't leave sooner
    That's the best answer yet and I wholeheartedly concur

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Here's a quick snippet of the players that we released last season. It's excluded some of the players that have gone out on loan.

Alex Smithies Leicester
    Curtis Nelson Blackpool
    James Collins Derby
    Josh Murphy Oxford United
    Marlon Pack Portsmouth
    Ciaron Brown Oxford United
    Aden Flint Stoke City
    Will Vaulks Sheff Wed
    Sam Bowen Newport County
    Isaac Vassell Without Club
    Leandro Bacuna Without Club
    Sean Morrison Without Club

After having a quick flick through, none of them have really come back to bite us.

Bacuna has played more minutes than I expected
    Murphy has done a lot worse than I expected (has not regained any form)
    Ciaron Brown has done better than I expected
    Smithies don't think we had a choice in the matter but would have been an improvement.

Looks like all right decisions
    smithies definitely.

Putting aside the wastes issue
    I think the real question is who might have done better than the current lot.

I’d say both Nelson and Flint would have done better than Simpson and Vaulks better than Sawyers or Ojo. Collins started scoring goals for Derby at a time when Watters couldn’t take the few chances on offer,.

The even bigger question is still whether Colwill, Davies, Sang , Bagan and Denham are going to be given a real chance to prove their worth. I suspect not and that maybe because they aren’t good enough. Arguably Harrris has had enough opportunities.

I'm not sure there's any really you could argue they should have stayed. Think smithies was more a wage issue, Collins maybe, considering we only had watters.

I also don't think many of them would have done any worse.

You know what you get from some of them and they would have known each other at least.

Would have been delaying the inevitable overhaul though.

No regrets over 2022. But we should have signed Junior Hiolet to a one-year deal in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Great loan spell at York, who finished 19th in the National League.

Two starts, four sub appearances, no goals.

York lost all six games he played in.
    Wasn’t in the squad over the last month or so

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Smithies is the only one people wanted to stay and he would have been of use but he had other ideas. The others had to go.
    Don’t think he played a minute of 1st team since he’s been there. 3rd choice and as far as I can see, only been on the bench once or twice allseason

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Don’t think he played a minute of 1st team since he’s been there. 3rd choice and as far as I can see, only been on the bench once or twice allseason
    Shame. Remember that Brian Murphy we had. Played 6 games for us in about 3 years. Played 40 odd games between 2009 and 2020 pretty much his whole career.

Barely 1 season worth of games in his career. Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Yeah I think that was expected though, I don’t think anyone expected him to go as first choice.

Great article I read a while ago (may have been in The Athletic) about these keepers who have spent a large chunk of their careers being the emergency 3rd choice/training keeper for big prem teams.

The money is really good but obviously not for everyone… was really interesting reading about the conflict they felt between playing every week down the league pyramid for a fraction of the wage vs being in a situation being paid far more but having basically no chance of game time.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Shame. Remember that Brian Murphy we had. Played 6 games for us in about 3 years. Played 40 odd games between 2009 and 2020 pretty much his whole career.

Barely 1 season worth of games in his career. Crazy
    Allowed plenty of time for him to be in George and Mildred

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Great article I read a while ago (may have been in The Athletic) about these keepers who have spent a large chunk of their careers being the emergency 3rd choice/training keeper for big prem teams.

The money is really good but obviously not for everyone… was really interesting reading about the conflict they felt between playing every week down the league pyramid for a fraction of the wage vs being in a situation being paid far more but having basically no chance of game time.
    I think Wayne Hennessey is a good example of this. Goes to Forest as 2nd choice, 1st choice gets injured so they bring in Navas. He’d have had loads of games at a Championship level. 7 league games in the last 4 years & 29 caps during the same time

Yeah, Hennessey is definitely in danger of becoming that kind of keeper at this stage of his career although Navas and Henderson both on loan and presumably would have no interest in re-signing if they go down, so you may see him starting for them next year.

Thought playing him at the WC was a strange decision when Ward was playing regularly and well for Leicester (at the time at least), think that lack of game time really cost him during that moment of madness against Iran. Having played in goal for many years it's the position where if you haven't done it in anger for a while, you really feel the rust and it takes a good run of games to get your positioning and timing back, at least in my experience.

I was a GK, fully paid member of the union, still am. Fans and outfield players will never understand us, the game within a game!

Vaullks would have been more use than Sawyers, Rinhomota or Adams (although it's not his fault he's been injured).

But then Eli King would have been better than Sawyers and probably Rinhomota.

Easy with hindsight, though

Surprised so many have said Vaulks, even with this poor squad I couldn’t see him making more than a handful of appearances if that.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    Vaullks would have been more use than Sawyers, Rinhomota or Adams (although it's not his fault he's been injured).

But then Eli King would have been better than Sawyers and probably Rinhomota.

Easy with hindsight, though
    Rinhomota is definitely far better than Vaulks and so is Sawyers, though he has been disappointing overall.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Surprised so many have said Vaulks, even with this poor squad I couldn’t see him making more than a handful of appearances if that.
    You don't think Vaulks's performances for us were superior to what we have witnessed this season from Sawyers and Rinhomota? Genuine question.

You don't think Vaulks's performances for us were superior to what we have witnessed this season from Sawyers and Rinhomota? Genuine question.
    Vaulks has a better long throw and that's about it.

Sawyers has had some decent games playing deeper.

Rino has been anonymous the majority of the season.

If Vaulks is so good, how come he's in League One? Surely a gaggle of Championship teams would be beating down his door to sign him for free last summer?

surely a bait thread? weeding out the gormless idiots that don't understand football

all trash that shouldve gone sooner

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Vaulks has a better long throw and that's about it.

Sawyers has had some decent games playing deeper.

Rino has been anonymous the majority of the season.

If Vaulks is so good, how come he's in League One? Surely a gaggle of Championship teams would be beating down his door to sign him for free last summer?
    Agree with pretty well all of that. I was no fan of Vaulks. I simply don't think that the two replacements have been any better or even his equal.

Our inability to score for most of the season has been mainly due to our abysmal midfield play. Sawyers has looked disinterested and both him and Rinhomota have struggled to pass the ball to someone in the same coloured shirt as themselves.

No I don’t, I think he’s an awful player.

Sawyers and Rino have been disappointing but still better than him.