Cardiff City v Penarth Wednesday photo circa 1920

Re: Cardiff City v Penarth Wednesday photo circa 1920

good find haven' t seen that one before

but penarth wednesdays ???

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    good find haven' t seen that one before

but penarth wednesdays ???
    Someone’s tweeted below the photo “ I think that they originated from shop workers who happened to have Wednesdays afternoons off. In those days people tended to be payed in cash on a Thursday ,so Wednesday was a quiet day. It doesn't explain Abergavenny Thursdays though.”

I have no idea if this is true.

There have been a number of photos of Penarth Wednesdays posted on the 'Images of Bygone Penarth' Facebook page. The most recent one showed the back of this photo, with a pencilled note stating the names of a number of people in the picture. There is another note, clearly added later, with a date of 1907-08, which could be correct (or at least close), as Riverside became Cardiff City in 1908. I also remember seeing a full team photo (of the Penarth side) some time ago. The ground in the photo is apparently in Penarth, on Stanwell Road, though I don't recognise the houses in the background.

The game was a friendly played in Penarth on 23 April 1913, Cardiff City winning 3-1.

I don't have any other details.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    There have been a number of photos of Penarth Wednesdays posted on the 'Images of Bygone Penarth' Facebook page. The most recent one showed the back of this photo, with a pencilled note stating the names of a number of people in the picture. There is another note, clearly added later, with a date of 1907-08, which could be correct (or at least close), as Riverside became Cardiff City in 1908. I also remember seeing a full team photo (of the Penarth side) some time ago. The ground in the photo is apparently in Penarth, on Stanwell Road, though I don't recognise the houses in the background.
    The houses in the background are on cornerswell road adjacent to Victoria primary school and the pitch is on the street which is now meliden road.
    Meliden, baron road etc we’re built mid 1920’s and 30’s so the timeline fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    The houses in the background are on cornerswell road adjacent to Victoria primary school and the pitch is on the street which is now meliden road.
    Meliden, baron road etc we’re built mid 1920’s and 30’s so the timeline fits.
    That's interesting - the pitch would have sat between Victoria Road and Stanwell Road, which fits in with my earlier post. The pitch is clearly visible on early maps of Penarth.
    I wonder why they were playing a friendly while the League season was still ongoing. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    That's interesting - the pitch would have sat between Victoria Road and Stanwell Road, which fits in with my earlier post. The pitch is clearly visible on early maps of Penarth.
    I wonder why they were playing a friendly while the League season was still ongoing. Any ideas?
    City's reserve team played a game at Portsmouth that same day. The Southern League season had already finished. The reserves had one more game at home to Luton on 25 April (won 5-2). The first team played a few more friendlies against Bath City, Portsmouth and Mid Rhondda, drawing all three.