+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: City action from 1981.

City action from 1981.

Just come across this on You Tube.

https://youtu.be/m7sAOuPSZls

Re: City action from 1981.

Gary Stevens scored at exactly the time as Nathan Ake scored for Man City, heard the roar on the telly and looked up, missed them both. Hooray for replays Great bit of nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Cheers Paul.

One of the many things I'd forgotten about football back then was the ref checking with the linesmen before blowing for full time.

I wonder when that stopped?

another good find tonight

for those who don't watch it all city score on 11 minutes 30 seconds

Mad Mick at centre back

Brilliant. Thank you, Paul.

I can't believe I was nervous watching the last 5 minutes. That is a team that should have achieved so much more. What formation were City playing? 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3? It's difficult to work out as Sugrue was so anonymous. I can't believe that Sayer was playing in central midfield (back on loan), so I'm discounting 4-4-2. Quite ahead of it's time; Richie Morgan was a very underrated manager (as was Jimmy Andrews before him)

Wonderful stuff.

Joe Dwyer dominant.

Ron Healey a very good keeper.

Dave Bennett one of my favourites together with his brother Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Wonderful stuff.

Joe Dwyer dominant.

Ron Healey a very good keeper.

Dave Bennett one of my favourites together with his brother Gary.

Dave Bennett my favourite City player

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    Brilliant. Thank you, Paul.

I can't believe I was nervous watching the last 5 minutes. That is a team that should have achieved so much more. What formation were City playing? 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3? It's difficult to work out as Sugrue was so anonymous. I can't believe that Sayer was playing in central midfield (back on loan), so I'm discounting 4-4-2. Quite ahead of it's time; Richie Morgan was a very underrated manager (as was Jimmy Andrews before him)
    Did you hear the commentator say that City had won at Luton in midweek? They ended up winning the title that season and we also beat Watford who finished runner's up, yet we still got relegated. I always associate that relegation with the barking mad decision to move Richie Morgan "upstairs" and bring in Graham Williams at a time when we were a respectable twelfth in the table, then when it all went wrong, they not only sacked Williams, but Morgan as well!

The following week we were beaten 4-0 at home by Newcastle and that was Billy Ronson's last match for us - I suppose we had to find the money we'd paid for Dave Bennett from somewhere. Ronson did not leave in good terms and I can remember him getting terrible stick from the crowd when he came back to Ninian Park with Wrexham later in the season in a Welsh Cup game, but I think we really missed him as we did Phil Dwyer who was out from about November onwards with a knee injury which originally led to Len Ashurst releasing him at the end of the season - another good player, who was getting on a bit mind by then, who was left out after tha Newcastle game was Colin Sullivan.

Attendance at the match. 12,114 , looked more than that

City fans appeared to get there late , only looks about 400

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Attendance at the match. 12,114 , looked more than that

City fans appeared to get there late , only looks about 400
    went to the same fixture in early 1984 running out 3-2 winners . remember Gordon Owen scoring from a hazy memory

crowd was around 7,000 with about 300 of us in attendance .

I wasn't a regular away traveller but it would have been around that time I went up to a Barnsley game. All that way in the back of a Ford Transit van with with half a dozen of North Cornelly's finest. Them were the days.

That was a painful watch as the quality want very good - I probably back at the early days of my time as a city supporter with rose tinted glasses

Do agree with some on here re dave Bennett one of my all time favourites - sure he got fined a pound by len Ashurst for missing a sitter v Plymouth in a 3-2 away defeat - also remember beating Millwall 4 0 away from home and Millwall fans trying to grab Bennett when he was on the wing at the old den

Did you hear the commentator say that City had won at Luton in midweek? They ended up winning the title that season and we also beat Watford who finished runner's up, yet we still got relegated. I always associate that relegation with the barking mad decision to move Richie Morgan "upstairs" and bring in Graham Williams at a time when we were a respectable twelfth in the table, then when it all went wrong, they not only sacked Williams, but Morgan as well!

The following week we were beaten 4-0 at home by Newcastle and that was Billy Ronson's last match for us - I suppose we had to find the money we'd paid for Dave Bennett from somewhere. Ronson did not leave in good terms and I can remember him getting terrible stick from the crowd when he came back to Ninian Park with Wrexham later in the season in a Welsh Cup game, but I think we really missed him as we did Phil Dwyer who was out from about November onwards with a knee injury which originally led to Len Ashurst releasing him at the end of the season - another good player, who was getting on a bit mind by then, who was left out after tha Newcastle game was Colin Sullivan.
    Sadly, we needed Ronson more than we needed Bennett. Kitchen was missing from this game as was Tarki Micallef who was a talent out wide. None of Grapes, Wayne Hughes or Maddy could fill the void left by the sale of Ronson; one of my favourite city players ever.