+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Portable Air Con Units.

Portable Air Con Units.

Daughter has moved back in and i've lobbed her in the box room. Being a good Dad and all that, and knowing that it gets hot in there during the summer, can anyone recommend a good portable Air con unit? is it a case of you get what you pay for with these things? Cheers.

Re: Portable Air Con Units.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Daughter has moved back in and i've lobbed her in the box room. Being a good Dad and all that, and knowing that it gets hot in there during the summer, can anyone recommend a good portable Air con unit? is it a case of you get what you pay for with these things? Cheers.
    Are you a Costco member?

I was in there yesterday and noticed they had portable air con units for sale. I can’t tell you much more than that I’m afraid, as I didn’t go over to check them out, but at least its an option you can look at.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    Are you a Costco member?

I was in there yesterday and noticed they had portable air con units for sale. I can’t tell you much more than that I’m afraid, as I didn’t go over to check them out, but at least its an option you can look at.
    Cheers, will gwt down there.

Screwfix are normally pretty decent for the prices on units

We have 2, both live in the shed most of the time, then I wheel them into the house, one does the lounge and the other I have made a faceplate that splits the cold air and it runs into 2 bedrooms

they can be fairly noisy, so the doubler is in the bathroom and the hoses run to the bedrooms, it works well, less noise and chills it down a fair bit

screwfix they are 300 quid now

they do a air cooler for 80 quid, just has a 5L water tank in it, a fan and it just blows vapour to cool the air, you can freeze a bottle of water and put it in the 5L tank, so it'll be colder vapour, but I always think the cooler just as moisture which intern might create damp issues ( not that its used that long in the UK )

How big is your "box" room.?? My teenage Daughter is in ours. Theres already no room in there. A rubic cube would be too much let alone an air con unit.🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    How big is your "box" room.?? My teenage Daughter is in ours. Theres already no room in there. A rubic cube would be too much let alone an air con unit.🤣🤣🤣
    Listen, she's 25, and could live in Buckingham palace and there wouldn't be enough room for her shit. Women eh! They're the homes equivalent of an invasion and occupation, all three of my girls take over the house. My Boy just lives in the loft and comes out when he needs more crisps, not even a grunt from him. Good lad!

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

We have 2, both live in the shed most of the time, then I wheel them into the house, one does the lounge and the other I have made a faceplate that splits the cold air and it runs into 2 bedrooms

they can be fairly noisy, so the doubler is in the bathroom and the hoses run to the bedrooms, it works well, less noise and chills it down a fair bit

they do a air cooler for 80 quid, just has a 5L water tank in it, a fan and it just blows vapour to cool the air, you can freeze a bottle of water and put it in the 5L tank, so it'll be colder vapour, but I always think the cooler just as moisture which intern might create damp issues ( not that its used that long in the UK )
    Thanks Matt, that's some great advice. Was thinking around the 300 mark.

Where does the condensation go? Do they have trays?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Where does the condensation go? Do they have trays?
    Yes, like a sliding draw, empty it as you go.

Yes, like a sliding draw, empty it as you go.
    Interesting. Most houses over here still have sash windows. So ours go in the windows from June to October. I like the noise, so I have a box fan on the floor all winter.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

Do you run the hoses out of a window?
    I need to buy some kind of fitting for my window I think as it’s a standing opening one so let’s heat back in.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    I need to buy some kind of fitting for my window I think as it’s a standing opening one so let’s heat back in.
    Yes you can buy a flexi hose and also a window fitting which simply closes when not in use.
    My advice would be to get a professional glazier to fit it

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    I used to, its the same setup as a tumble dryer, just a pipe through the window, then I used a foam infill to seal the gap in the window

Now im in a Bungalow, so can't leave the window open ( I guess I could, but a open window cant be a good ) I hired a 4" Diamond Drill and cut a hole through the wall, run some 4" pipe though the cavity, fitted a tumble dryer Vent outside, and loosely fitted a round vent on the inside ( this pulls off to attach the end of the aircon house ) this inside vent it white and fairly out of the way in the bathroom, so looks acceptable when not in " aircon mode "

then when I use the aircon, I just push a connector ( attached to the aircon hose ) into the 4" pipe and away goes the hot air

works well, its not quite a permanent aircon unit, buts its the 2nd best imho

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Yes you can buy a flexi hose and also a window fitting which simply closes when not in use.
    My advice would be to get a professional glazier to fit it
    Great, I’ll have a look. I did see something on Amazon but wasn’t particularly well rated.