Thread: Artificial Intelligence

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Your last sentence is spot on.
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    No way of putting it back in its box and let’s hope it’s used for good
    That's a key point. Bill Gates' thoughts on it are interesting - "market forces won’t naturally produce AI products and services that help the poorest. The opposite is more likely. With reliable funding and the right policies, governments and philanthropy can ensure that AIs are used to reduce inequity."

https://www.gatesnotes.com/The-Age-of-AI-Has-Begun

there was a really interesting podcast about how the rise of AI in chess.

self taught AI bots really quickly overtook the human and human programmed chess computers, and found completely different strategies that seemed crazy at first even to chess grandmasters, but now they are utterly untouchable

Get this new AI working hard on getting buses and trains to run on time , then i will be impressed

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Get this new AI working hard on getting buses and trains to run on time , then i will be impressed
    you don't need artificial intelligence for that, just invest properly in public transport.

there are plenty of countries that manage to do it properly

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzlebluebirds View Post
    I’m sorry Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that
    Did you spot Leonard Rossiter in the opening scenes?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I'm convinced that half the posts on here are written by AI.
    Yes, Al Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    AI and Robotics will replace lots of jobs. Even building sites are predicted to be largely human free by the 50s and there's already a robot bricky much quicker than any human and won't knock off at 4pm.

In the short term people working with AI will shrink the needed workforce.

Problems will arise when AI are allowed to rewrite themselves, generate other AI and build things via robotics without human oversight.

It's why universal basic income will become necessary as there won't be enough jobs for everyone.
    There are many reasons why a robot bricklayer won’t work.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    There are many reasons why a robot bricklayer won’t work.
    that's robotics rather than AI but I've seen a few systems that can do that already and they'll only get better with time .

it's probably more resilient to automation than a lot of careers though

International

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    What are people’s thoughts on where we currently are with AI and where we are heading with it?

I’ve used ChatGPT a fair bit over the last few months and it has been very handy for certain tasks that I’d not really relished doing.

It’s alarming some people though to the point of it’s progression being requested to slow or pause for a while.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/a...ge-2023-05-05/

I watched this Tom Scott video a while back and his concerns resonated with me.

https://youtu.be/jPhJbKBuNnA

I've invested in quite a few funds with a heavy AI influence, supposed to be in for a good ten years profits-wise, every cloud and all that!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that's robotics rather than AI but I've seen a few systems that can do that already and they'll only get better with time .

it's probably more resilient to automation than a lot of careers though
    As I said, there’s many reasons. Non uniformity is a massive problem for some human bricklayers, a robot would most probably explode Programming it to different gauges, perp widths etc to hit openings, head heights etc would most probably be more expensive, equipment wise and time wise, even on times having to build things out of plumb to make it ‘look right’ etc, than just having a human do it.

If every building was set out to exact brick or block gauge both width and height wise, doors & windows, vents, foundations spot on from concrete to damp course level etc there may be a chance, but, trust me, they never, ever are and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    As I said, there’s many reasons. Non uniformity is a massive problem for some human bricklayers, a robot would most probably explode Programming it to different gauges, perp widths etc to hit openings, head heights etc would most probably be more expensive, equipment wise and time wise, even on times having to build things out of plumb to make it ‘look right’ etc, than just having a human do it.

If every building was set out to exact brick or block gauge both width and height wise, doors & windows, vents, foundations spot on from concrete to damp course level etc there may be a chance, but, trust me, they never, ever are and never will be.
    those things don't actually sound that difficult for robotics to overcome, with enough investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzlebluebirds View Post
    I’m sorry Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that
    From one of my all-time favourite films! At least Dave was able to get at the memory modules and pull the plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Did you spot Leonard Rossiter in the opening scenes?
    I just googled it... never realised that. And googling it led me down one hell of a rabbit hole of forgotten 70's sitcoms and actors (I was about 3 when Rising Damp came out so can only remember the 80's repeats!).

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    It's why universal basic income will become necessary as there won't be enough jobs for everyone.
    Ah, the "useless eaters" conundrum.

those things don't actually sound that difficult for robotics to overcome, with enough investment.
    It’s actually very difficult to overcome in practice. Grinding down, picking up, cutting and making sure the bond is maintained, not to mention the different types of bond. Jointing, pointing, brushing arisses after jointing. Bricks with feathers would have to be stacked correctly, taking more time whereas the human selects each one and lays it the right way up. Cutting insulation to fit different scenarios. Honestly, there’s a hell of a lot involved that is only cost effective for a human to do.

Obviously things have moved on in construction, chippies, electricians, plumbers would rather pick up a rattlesnake than a tool without a lead or a battery, labourers have all sorts of labour saving devices nowadays whereas the wet trades are still using their trowels in the same way as has been done for centuries. Same string lines, plumb bobs, spirit levels, water levels, hammers, chisels, dressing of stone quoins and more, no change at all since time immemorial. No doubt there’s been some attempts at automation, Tomorrow’s World very often would have an item on it, to no avail though.

On domestic extensions, there’s very often ongoing alterations to the plans during construction . Clients changing their mind, dimensions changed, openings moved etc. A programmed machine would have more than steam coming out of its ears (as we do) in these circumstances akin to a SatNav bollocking you when you change your mind when driving

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    From one of my all-time favourite films! At least Dave was able to get at the memory modules and pull the plugs.
    It's a great film! I watched a interesting video on it the other night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxiB3qtMRHc&t=3s

I latched on to this thread and mistakenly thought it was a discussion about the Cardiff City board.

Informative for anyone that’s interested.

https://youtu.be/xoVJKj8lcNQ

Screenshot_2023-05-11-13-21-53-231_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg

here are 2 images of some delicious key lime pies

one is real, the other generated by an AI engine. I won't say which is which.

if you look closely it is fairly easy to tell which is which, but it's getting harder and harder to do so. at first glance though it's not bad.

the real picture requires someone to make the pie, lay out the scene, and a professional food photographer to take the photos. several hours work.

the ai picture is generated in seconds

Screenshot_2023-05-11-13-21-53-231_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg

here are 2 images of some delicious key lime pies

one is real, the other generated by an AI engine. I won't say which is which.

if you look closely it is fairly easy to tell which is which, but it's getting harder and harder to do so. at first glance though it's not bad.

the real picture requires someone to make the pie, lay out the scene, and a professional food photographer to take the photos. several hours work.

the ai picture is generated in seconds
    One on the right is AI imo.

The skin on the lime and the light/translucency on the centre looks off.

The layers of the pie are too clean as well. I think a knife being dragged through it would leave streaks of cream and lemon.

The stuff in the background looks artificially blurred instead of it simply being out of focus.

That's what gave it away for me so presumably that's actually the real one

Quite the headline.
    It says a lot that the chiefs of OpenAI and Google DeepMind back the statement.

Could this be the big catastrophe?
    Be a bit Ironic if it’s the one thing O-M and W-B didn’t predict!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-65746524

Quite the headline.

It was all part of the plan, you just needed to read between the lines.

Quite the headline.

The internet is running on a military network. Make of that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The internet is running on a military network. Make of that what you will.
    Say Wha?