+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Fans leaving early

Fans leaving early

My Dad never ever did this and I can never bring myself to do it either (even when we were 4-0 down to the JBs at home last year!)

And yet looking at the Amex and lots of premier league grounds like Old Trafford and The Emirates in particular, fans seem to be pretty happy to leave well before full time. Why?

I suppose that it is a long way back to Devon for Man Utd fans, before anyone says it.

Re: Fans leaving early

Normally I get the train or bus but on the occasions I need to be somewhere post match I'll drive and leave at 85mins. I can be home in less than 20mins when I do that. That journey can take up to an hour if I stayed to full time.

Ninian Park station is bad enough when there's 15k people in the stadium. I'd imagine the tube station opposite the Emirates is 10x worse.

I remember a game, must be early sixties, when we were winning 1-0 v Portsmouth, and I left in the 90th minute to get to Ninian Park Halt......then discovered we lost 1-2......never ever left a game early after that.

I always stay behind until full time (though the Huddersfield game I left at full time rather than give my thanks to the players/manager etc, I was annoyed at the game and just wanted to get back) One game I wish I did leave at 90 mins was against the Jacks, I may have been a bit happier until I checked the scores when I got home

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I remember a game, must be early sixties, when we were winning 1-0 v Portsmouth, and I left in the 90th minute to get to Ninian Park Halt......then discovered we lost 1-2......never ever left a game early after that.
    Maybe I’m too mean as I’m always concerned that I’ll miss something!

I never did that. At the old NP ground, when there was about 5 minutes left to play, I would make my way from my seat in the Bob Bank to the far corner at the Grangetown end ready to leg it down the ramp onto Sloper Road. Then a sprint up to near the NP school, jump in the car, and get up the Penarth Road and onto the 4232 to beat the traffic to the M4. I was younger and fitter then of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    My Dad never ever did this and I can never bring myself to do it either (even when we were 4-0 down to the JBs at home last year!)

And yet looking at the Amex and lots of premier league grounds like Old Trafford and The Emirates in particular, fans seem to be pretty happy to leave well before full time. Why?

I suppose that it is a long way back to Devon for Man Utd fans, before anyone says it.
    I don't know whether or not leaving early is more prevalent these days, but i bet it's because fans feel more like customers these days, especially in the premier league. Brighton have plenty of new fans as well. The staying until the end thing was usually the behaviour of the more ardent supporter, or those who had nowhere else to be!

You missed the worst bit. That's a good thing.

Sadist.

....I seem to remember following my father as he grumbled his way out vs ......maidstone ....maybe. Think we got stuffed.

John Lewis scored a last minute winner as my mate walked to the exit.I shouted one nil he replied piss off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't know whether or not leaving early is more prevalent these days, but i bet it's because fans feel more like customers these days, especially in the premier league. Brighton have plenty of new fans as well. The staying until the end thing was usually the behaviour of the more ardent supporter, or those who had nowhere else to be!
    I never left early at NP, even when Sheffield United put 6 past us in the late 70s, I stayed to watch John Buchanan snatch one back

Once Russell Slade took over , we left at half time on a few occasions to go back to the pub

I couldn’t be arsed to hang around after the JBs scored 3, if the players couldn’t be bothered, I don’t see why I should

I stay to applaud the players off or on occasions to glower at them in silence.
    Got dragged out of Ninian early once by my brother as we were 0-2 down to Wolves only for Friday to come off the bench and inspire a fightback to 2-2. Never again I told myself!

I've never done it bit understand those that do...football ain't cheap

I’m sure that scenario happened a couple of seasons on the trot against Pompey in the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The latter in my case…… :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    ....I seem to remember following my father as he grumbled his way out vs ......maidstone ....maybe. Think we got stuffed.
    I even stayed to the end of the Maidstone match. Lost 5-0 I think at home on New Year’s Day.

It ended up being funny.

I even stayed to the end of the Maidstone match. Lost 5-0 I think at home on New Year’s Day.

It ended up being funny.
    this one i think it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTDizsA1kyw

First Team

I'm the complete opposite in that I get into the ground ridiculously early and then am one of the last to leave.
    Maybe I am a little OCD about this but I hate to think I am missing out on anything and will go to great lengths to avoid that sinking feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’m sure that scenario happened a couple of seasons on the trot against Pompey in the 60s.
    Definitely happened against Crewe in early to mid nineties

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I'm the complete opposite in that I get into the ground ridiculously early and then am one of the last to leave.
    Maybe I am a little OCD about this but I hate to think I am missing out on anything and will go to great lengths to avoid that sinking feeling.
    Yes I am the same.

At least you get to ‘analyse’ the warm ups now rather than just sitting there. Lol

International

It will be very early next season, many before it starts.