+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are Drakeford and Sadiq Khan trying to stop cars in their City's ?

Re: Why are Drakeford and Sadiq Khan trying to stop cars in their City's ?

Quote Originally Posted by Parti Mellow View Post
    A lot working class pleasures have been taxed heavily over the last 30 to 40 years. Whatever next, a tax on how many dumps you have a day?
    driving in central London is anything but pleasurable

Taking a dump can sometimes be pleasurable

A lot working class pleasures have been taxed heavily over the last 30 to 40 years. Whatever next, a tax on how many dumps you have a day?
    Would that be via a pay as you dump (PAYD) system, or would you need to make an annual return to declare how many dumps you'd taken over the year? Would we all have a personal dump allowance before we started to be taxed? Would the super-rich find a way around it by paying expensive accountants to divert their dumps to offshore toilets to avoid paying their fair share? Am I taking this much too seriously? 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Would that be via a pay as you dump (PAYD) system, or would you need to make an annual return to declare how many dumps you'd taken over the year? Would we all have a personal dump allowance before we started to be taxed? Would the super-rich find a way around it by paying expensive accountants to divert their dumps to offshore toilets to avoid paying their fair share? Am I taking this much too seriously? 😁
    I think it's a crap idea myself and will encourage constipation.

Would that be via a pay as you dump (PAYD) system, or would you need to make an annual return to declare how many dumps you'd taken over the year? Would we all have a personal dump allowance before we started to be taxed? Would the super-rich find a way around it by paying expensive accountants to divert their dumps to offshore toilets to avoid paying their fair share? Am I taking this much too seriously? ��
    I am waiting for Organ Morgan (or this week's Igor) to tell us this all part of the World Economic Forum masterplan, and that the dump charges will be calculated via the Bill Gates bugs injected into our bloodstreams with the Covid vaccinations.

Taking a dump can sometimes be pleasurable
    Taking it where? Would you have it in a bag or something?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Taking it where? Would you have it in a bag or something?
    English side of the Bridge?

International

Thats true, brand new cost a fortune electric cars will be free, so pricing some people out of driving, and potentially getting to work.

You could take a picture of each of your dumps and send them to your accountant/HRMC and they could work out the tax.

It's a global trend. Not sure you can blame Labour for the low emission zones in Paris, Tokyo, Amsterdam, Berlin, Hong Kong, Brussels, Beijing etc
    Yep, it's the same people who behind Agenda 30 and global immunisation programmss, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Doing all they can to make it expensive and less enjoyable?

Why?
    Basically no alternative in cardiff so he’s in to a right loser

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Basically no alternative in cardiff so he’s in to a right loser
    Why don’t they look into pool cars , better cycle lanes, car sharing , and more affordable efficient public transport ….

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Why don’t they look into pool cars , better cycle lanes, car sharing , and more affordable efficient public transport ….
    They’ve done a lovely cycle almost all the way from my house into the city centre…..lost quite a few places where we had two lanes so now we sit in traffic jams waiting for people to turn right. A journey down Allensbank rd that took 2 mins a few years ago now takes 10….the fumes all the cars sat still give off must be making the pollution in the area far worse than before…..and as a final kick in the nuts hardly any students using the cycle lanes….

They’ve done a lovely cycle almost all the way from my house into the city centre…..lost quite a few places where we had two lanes so now we sit in traffic jams waiting for people to turn right. A journey down Allensbank rd that took 2 mins a few years ago now takes 10….the fumes all the cars sat still give off must be making the pollution in the area far worse than before…..and as a final kick in the nuts hardly any students using the cycle lanes….
    Sounds like another ill thought out plan :

Cyclists don’t want to use cycle lane, such a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Since 2003, there are 4m more cars on the road in the UK, that's a 15% increase. Since the congestion charge was introduced, traffic in central London has fallen by 18%. So, there's more cars, and less traffic in London so what you have said is untrue.
    It was named the most congested city on earth only a few months ago!

Some journeys cut perhaps, but road capacity cut too. It's still a very very congested place.

It's a cash cow that hits the poor. I have far more sympathy for it in London where public transport is superb but that really isn't the case in most provincial cities.

Cardiff Council and WG still promote working at home. I have no idea who they think will be riding the Metro. I regularly get the train into Cardiff and it's nothing like it was before.

Walk or cycle ya lazy gets.

Here's the link to that. I struggle to view it as a huge success and I think these policies do tend to hurt the less well off more, directly and indirectly by changing the nature of city centres.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-64219939

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It was named the most congested city on earth only a few months ago!

Some journeys cut perhaps, but road capacity cut too. It's still a very very congested place.

It's a cash cow that hits the poor. I have far more sympathy for it in London where public transport is superb but that really isn't the case in most provincial cities.

Cardiff Council and WG still promote working at home. I have no idea who they think will be riding the Metro. I regularly get the train into Cardiff and it's nothing like it was before.
    Central London congestion has in fact reduced since the congestion charge. I wish people would do their research and post on the basis of the facts rather than what their prejudices lead them to want to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Central London congestion has in fact reduced since the congestion charge. I wish people would do their research and post on the basis of the facts rather than what their prejudices lead them to want to think.
    Some success story: "London remains most congested city"

There's arguments on both side. You also have to weigh up the impact of a regressive tax and the gentrification of city centres. Im more of a carrot than a stick person. Invest heavily in public transport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64219939

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/revealed-average-speed-of-london-traffic-is-just-7-8mph-a3416446.html

Some success story: "London remains most congested city"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64219939
    Yep, wider impacts all open to debate. I simply pointed out that when you said "Central London is as congested as ever since we the congestion charge", you were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Yep, wider impacts all open to debate. I simply pointed out that when you said "Central London is as congested as ever since we the congestion charge", you were wrong.
    I think that's up for debate really, esp if you compare it to other cities.

Nonetheless, I don't even have a huge issue with it, and I don't live there. But I certainly don't support it in provincial UK cities, esp without dramatic improvements in public transport

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    An estimated 30,000 people die due to air pollution from cars every year. In addition to that huge amounts of children develop asthma and damage their lungs due to it.

Car pollution should be looked at the same way as smoking.

Improved public transport to minimise car journeys is a must.
    ulez hasn't banned cars ,it charges people to use them , so in smoking terms i should be allowed to pay to sit in a pub all day puffing on a 12'' churchwarden

First Team

I don't support it. I am very pro public transport, walking and cycling but I am not anti car. Central London is as congested as ever since we the congestion charge.

Also, what counts as an unnecessary journey? On that basis isn't every restaurant and holiday also unnecessary in the fight against climate change?
    Your usual bollocks:

Transport for London (TfL) (January 2014). "Public and stakeholder consultation on a Variation Order to modify the Congestion Charging scheme Impact Assessment" (PDF). TfL. Retrieved 15 February 2015. See pp. 12: Traffic volume, speed and congestion