+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Away Fans at Cardiff

Away Fans at Cardiff

Following on from the Burnley thread,, most away fans you've seen at Cardiff
    For me was Man Utd followed by Sunderland then the Jacks in the Buchanan game
    Biggest mob I've seen at Cardiff was Chelsea early 80s?
    Leeds Villa and Everton on the old Bob bank also brought more than a few

Re: Away Fans at Cardiff

Newcastle by a mile, they brought a boat load about 5 years ago, around 8000 if I recall. Hard to see that being beaten anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Newcastle by a mile, they brought a boat load about 5 years ago, around 8000 if I recall. Hard to see that being beaten anytime soon.
    Don't think it was as many as that was it? They just had the overflow from the away end which is about 5k. Same amount we gave Villa when we beat them under Warnock and Man City in the FA Cup in the same season.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Don't think it was as many as that was it? They just had the overflow from the away end which is about 5k. Same amount we gave Villa when we beat them under Warnock and Man City in the FA Cup in the same season.
    Ah yes you are in fact right, it appears we made 8000 available - what crap support not selling out the full allocation!

Looked more than Villa and Man City from memory but there we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Following on from the Burnley thread,, most away fans you've seen at Cardiff
    For me was Man Utd followed by Sunderland then the Jacks in the Buchanan game
    Biggest mob I've seen at Cardiff was Chelsea early 80s?
    Leeds Villa and Everton on the old Bob bank also brought more than a few
    Everton in the cup in 1977 was a lot. Not a Cardiff game but Scotland in the 1975 Home Internationals was one of the most I remember. That was the 2-2 draw with the great Brian Flynn goal. The noise they made was incredible.

Sheffield Weds mid 80s. Think Gary Bannister scored 2.

Easily Man Utd 1974-75. They gave them the whole of the bob bank and they damn near filled it.

At ccs it's Leeds in the cup by a mile isn't it?

Crystal Palace had a huge allocation in the 2nd leg of the League Cup semi final and took it up I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Easily Man Utd 1974-75. They gave them the whole of the bob bank and they damn near filled it.
    No, they had about a third of it next to the Grange End. I was stood next to them on the Bob and was Grange End side of the TV gantry.

Sunderland 1980 was the biggest in my time. Easily about 11k of them. The JAcks in the 3-3 game was the next biggest IMO.
    Spedger

celtic fans at a inter cardiff game i think, at ninian park

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Crystal Palace had a huge allocation in the 2nd leg of the League Cup semi final and took it up I reckon.
    They made a lot of noise too in fairness to them.

most fans seen in Cardiff playing the city has to be QPR

Not a City game.

Scotland in 85, the Jock Stein game. I've got it in my head there were at least 12000 jocks here?

I was fourteen at the time and their presence left an impression on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Not a City game.

Scotland in 85, the Jock Stein game. I've got it in my head there were at least 12000 jocks here?

Same here , all the Grange End and a few on the Bob Bank

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Same here , all the Grange End and a few on the Bob Bank
    They also had most if not all the Grange End side of the Enclosure, in my head anyway. Was sat in the Grandstand and the enclosure seemed teeming with Jocks.

Most intoxicated mass support I've ever seen.

I can also remember some of them camping outside the Castle the day before the game.

They also had most if not all the Grange End side of the Enclosure, in my head anyway. Was sat in the Grandstand and the enclosure seemed teeming with Jocks.

Most intoxicated mass support I've ever seen.

I can also remember some of them camping outside the Castle the day before the game.
    Had just moved to Reading. There was a special train back to London after the game where there were about 50 Welsh supporters amongst about a thousand Jocks. Reasonably amicable because of the result but when we got off at Reading the news of Jock Stein's death had come through. Such a sad day.

Not a City game.

I was a schoolboy at the time down the City. We had training at the ground the next day. We would hole up in the away changing room. There was an old treatment table at the centre of the changing room, very old heavy thing from the 60s, Brown leather. I was sat on it, and Stan Montgomery grabbed my shoulders from behind and said to me " Son, Jock Stein died on that table last night" sent a shiver...

Not a City game.

I would say they had about 1/6th of the Bob Bank (on which they got ****ing battered - full-on toe-to-toe) and the whole of the Grange. There were thousand around town, but no way 12,000 at the game. I'd say 7,000 maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I would say they had about 1/6th of the Bob Bank (on which they got ****ing battered - full-on toe-to-toe) and the whole of the Grange. There were thousand around town, but no way 12,000 at the game. I'd say 7,000 maximum.
    My memory isn't the best and I've probably plucked 12000 from a newspaper source at the time but I can remember the enclosure towards the Grange End being rammed with Jocks.

I'd never seen the Grange End as full and the only part of Ninian Park without a Scottish presence was the Canton.

I'll have a snoop at YouTube later to try and justify my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Sunderland 1980 was the biggest in my time. Easily about 11k of them. The JAcks in the 3-3 game was the next biggest IMO.
    Spedger
    Yes, I’d agree about Sunderland, City fans were more or less confined to the Bob Bank that day.

My memory isn't the best and I've probably plucked 12000 from a newspaper source at the time but I can remember the enclosure towards the Grange End being rammed with Jocks.

I'd never seen the Grange End as full and the only part of Ninian Park without a Scottish presence was the Canton.

I'll have a snoop at YouTube later to try and justify my memory.
    You might be right about the enclosures.

Newport County , Welsh Cup Final V Merthyr

Most of them on a mission to wreck everything in their way

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Newport County , Welsh Cup Final V Merthyr

Most of them on a mission to wreck everything in their way
    Not many of them though was there? Definitely the biggest crew they ever brought here although not playing us. What was that jacks v palace game here? 1980 was it? Why was it even here? Anyone go? Before my time