+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wales Online verdict on Morison’s 17 signings. What are your thoughts?

Wales Online verdict on Morison’s 17 signings. What are your thoughts?

Steve Morison's 17 Cardiff signings rated as two stand out but others struggle
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...utm_source=app

imo based on overall effectiveness, not how hard they worked although that obviously plays it’s part.

Allsop. 5. Yes made some great saves but also has a habit of parrying the ball to the feet of attackers.
    Alnwick. Difficult to judge over so few games.
    Romeo. 5
    Campbell. N/A
    Kipre. 8 made a few gaffs but would have been much worse without him.
    Simpson. 3
    Collins. N/A
    Nkounkou. 3. Clearly capable of better but not for us.
    Rinomhota. 5. Not consistent enough.
    Sawyers. 4. Too many gaffes, to slow. A moaner!
    Adams. N/A
    O’Dowda 7
    Ojo. 2
    Philogene. 6. Great moments but only late on.
    Robinson. 6
    Etete. 4
    Tanner. N/A

Re: Wales Online verdict on Morison’s 17 signings. What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post

imo based on overall effectiveness, not how hard they worked although that obviously plays it’s part.

Allsop. 5. Yes made some great saves but also has a habit of parrying the ball to the feet of attackers.
    Romeo. 5
    Campbell. N/A
    Simpson. 3
    Collins. N/A
    Adams. N/A
    O’Dowda 7
    Ojo. 2
    Robinson. 6
    Etete. 4
    Tanner. N/A
    I think we can give Etete a 5. He came on well later in seasons though does seem injury prone.
    Out of Morison's signings I would only be happy to see these next season.
    Alsopp
    Romeo
    Collins
    Rinomhota
    ODowda
    Robinson
    Etete

The rest should be jettisoned one way or other.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post

Romeo. 5
    Campbell. N/A
    Simpson. 3
    Collins. N/A
    Adams. N/A
    O’Dowda 7
    Ojo. 2
    Robinson. 6
    Etete. 4
    Tanner. N/A
    How did Ojo and Simpson score such high marks?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I think we can give Etete a 5. He came on well later in seasons though does seem injury prone.
    Alsopp
    Romeo
    Collins
    Rinomhota
    ODowda
    Robinson
    Etete

yeah 4 seems harsh for Etete, has shown he has something, and if he keeps improving he could be sold on for a decent profit.

biggest disappointments are Sawyer's and Rinomhota, as they both had plenty of experience at this level

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Alsopp
    Romeo
    Collins
    Rinomhota
    ODowda
    Robinson
    Etete

Alsopp is a liability
    Adams deserves a chance
    The double barreled surname guy I can't judge yet, nor Tanner, though expecting little from either

Generally a dire selection of players

Allsop 5
    Alnwick 4
    Romeo 6
    Campbell 2
    Collins n/a
    Simpson 4
    Kipre 8
    Nkounkou 4
    Rinomhota 5
    Sawyers 4
    Adams n/a
    O’Dowda 7
    Ojo 2
    Philogene 7
    Robinson 7
    Etete 6
    Tanner 2

Why can’t we award zero? Ojo, Tanner and Campbell merit 0 points as they are worse than useless.
    On the other hand, I think Philogene, O’Dowda and Robison merit 8.
    Allsop and Alnwick both 3 as they aren’t up for the fight.
    Sawyers maybe 5 or 6.
    Etete has potential so I would give him 7.
    The rest I agree with TOBW.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Allsop 5
    Alnwick 4
    Romeo 6
    Campbell 2
    Collins n/a
    Simpson 4
    Kipre 8
    Nkounkou 4
    Rinomhota 5
    Sawyers 4
    Adams n/a
    O’Dowda 7
    Ojo 2
    Philogene 7
    Robinson 7
    Etete 6
    Tanner 2
    Agree with most of your ratings Bob except...

Romeo 5
    Campbell 0
    Nkounkou 5
    Simpson 3
    O'Dowda 8
    Ojo 0
    Tanner 1

I'm also tempted to give Kipre 9 but will settle on 8 like you.

There is a comment on the WOL article that says City were the worst team in the division.
    I'd like to hear the commenter's explanation for three teams finishing below them (well for two of them, obviously Reading's points deduction will be cited).

Allsop 4
    Alnwick 4
    Romeo 5
    Simpson 2
    Kipre 8
    Rino 4
    Sawyers 4
    O Dowda 7
    Robinson 7
    Etete 5
    Ojo 3
    Philogene 6.

Adams and Collins - N/A

Allsop 3 - a point for his ability with the ball at his feet, a point for his time-wasting, a point for his ability to feign injury, zero points for his actual goalkeeping. Worst first-choice keeper in a long time.

Alnwick 2 - the fact that Allsop was first choice speaks volumes. League Two is probably his level.

Romeo 4 - an average Championship right-back on his good days, but far from great and had some poor days.

Daley-Campbell 0 - hopeless.

Kipre 7 - City's best defender over the course of the campaign, but prone to some serious lapses, most of which he somehow managed to get away with.

Simpson 3 - not very good. I'm afraid it's no more complicated than that.

Nkounkou 2 - would have been interesting to see him played as an attacking winger rather than a wing-back, as he looked pretty good going forward on occasions, but he cannot defend.

Rinomhota 4 - not terrible, but couldn't establish himself in a midfield featuring the likes of Ralls, Wintle and Sawyers, which speaks volumes.

Sawyers 3 - huge disappointment. Had perhaps seven or eight decent games. No longer up to this level.

O'Dowda 5 - although he was one of City's better players, he's bang average by Championship standards. 3 goals and 3 assists from 39 appearances. To put that into perspective, Swansea's Ryan Manning had 5 goals and 10 assists.

Ojo 1 - one of the strangest signings in the club's history. We all saw what he was like during his loan spell. Why did anyone at CCFC think it was a good idea to bring him back on a two-year deal?

Philogene 7 - the side's most entertaining player by a mile. Destined for better things than another relegation battle with City.

Robinson 7 - clever player, scores and creates goals. Not a striker, though. He's going to be very important next season.

Etete 4 - improved as the season wore on, but he's more than a little fragile and a tally of just 3 goals tells a story.

Tanner 0 - non-league player.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Adams and Collins - N/A

Allsop 3 - a point for his ability with the ball at his feet, a point for his time-wasting, a point for his ability to feign injury, zero points for his actual goalkeeping. Worst first-choice keeper in a long time.

Alnwick 2 - the fact that Allsop was first choice speaks volumes. League Two is probably his level.

Romeo 4 - an average Championship right-back on his good days, but far from great and had some poor days.

Kipre 7 - City's best defender over the course of the campaign, but prone to some serious lapses, most of which he somehow managed to get away with.

Nkounkou 2 - would have been interesting to see him played as an attacking winger rather than a wing-back, as he looked pretty good going forward on occasions, but he cannot defend.

Rinomhota 4 - not terrible, but couldn't establish himself in a midfield featuring the likes of Ralls, Wintle and Sawyers, which speaks volumes.

Sawyers 3 - huge disappointment. Had perhaps seven or eight decent games. No longer up to this level.

O'Dowda 5 - although he was one of City's better players, he's bang average by Championship standards. 3 goals and 3 assists from 39 appearances. To put that into perspective, Swansea's Ryan Manning had 5 goals and 10 assists.

Ojo 1 - one of the strangest signings in the club's history. We all saw what he was like during his loan spell. Why did anyone at CCFC think it was a good idea to bring him back on a two-year deal?

Philogene 7 - the side's most entertaining player by a mile. Destined for better things than another relegation battle with City.

Robinson 7 - clever player, scores and creates goals. Not a striker, though. He's going to be very important next season.

Etete 4 - improved as the season wore on, but he's more than a little fragile and a tally of just 3 goals tells a story.

You and TOBW with some sensible observation. Would argue Romeo is a 5 (much more consistent than Rinomhota), and to polish this particular turd, he was our second highest assist maker in the team.
    Last edited by OurManFlint II; 09-05-23 at 18:51. Reason: dyslexia

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Adams and Collins - N/A

Is that harsh on Alnwick? A 2?

He's 29 and just played 2 full seasons in Scottish Premier as well as a few years in league 1 and seems to have done well in both. Not sure he has been so bad when he's played he is now league 2 level?

I haven't seen that much of him but what I have seen I think he's better than Allsop.

Everyone seems very pro Callum Robinson. Genuinely, what have I missed thus far? Scored a few, but missed plenty more. Agree no lone striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    Everyone seems very pro Callum Robinson. Genuinely, what have I missed thus far? Scored a few, but missed plenty more. Agree no lone striker.
    he was out only threat for a while, would have liked to have seen him alongside Kaba

Allsop - 4 - He's decent with his feet but he's poor at the key part of his job, keeping the ball out of the net. It is no wonder why he got relegated in the previous two seasons.
    Alnwick - 3 - Can't displace one of the worst starting keepers in the league.
    Romeo - 6 - free, he's a tidy player. Not a lot more to say.
    Campbell - 0 - thank God we've signed him to a 3 year deal. What were they thinking? Couldn't get a game at Dundee, and the club couldn't get a loan move for him in January.
    Kipre - 8 - my player of the season. It would have been a different season without him. Popped up with some big goals, and big clangers!
    Simpson - 3 - shockingly, the bloke who couldn't hack it against St Mirren et al is struggling in the Champ. Not good enough
    Collins - n/a - started well, so let's hope that continues.
    Nkounkou - 3 - should have been tried in a back 5. He cannot defend for love nor money.
    Rinomhota - 5 - a mobile Vaulks that doesn't score. Can't pass, gives away stupid free kicks. Made to look good by a lot of this sorry bunch
    Sawyers - 4 - his legs have completely gone, is a tidy footballer but he's way past his best
    Adams - n/a - no idea, let's hope he's better than most of these
    O’Dowda - 7 - good player at this level. I think he's a better wing back than a winger.
    Ojo - 1 - why did we bring him back? His confidence has gone. He was dreadful at Millwall last year and he's been even worse
    Philogene - 8 - he's got quality. He'd have been higher had he played like he did under Lamouchi all season.
    Robinson - 8 - clearly a good player. He shouldn't be marked down because he isn't a centre forward.
    Etete - 5 - got potential but 3 goals all season says it all
    Tanner - 0 - can't get a kick for York City

They're some pretty grim marks. The window was a complete disaster. Genuinely baffles me some try to paint it as a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    I haven't seen that much of him but what I have seen I think he's better than Allsop.
    3 managers disagree.

Allsop 4 Decent League one keeper
    Alnwick 2 ideal league one (Scotland) back up
    Romeo 5 Average Championship player
    Campbell 0 who the **** thought he’s a footballer??
    Simpson 2 , he’ll make his 100 league appearance, by the time he’s 35
    Kipre 8 Best signing
    Collins 7 on what we saw of him looked decent
    Nkounkou 3 not a defender
    Rinomhota 5 average no real improvement on midfield
    Sawyers 4 looks like he’s here for a pay cheque
    Adam’s N/A
    ODowda 7 shame we didn’t see more of him up the pitch
    Ojo 1 complete waste of space, when he starts it’s like playing with 10 men
    Philogene 6 showed there is a player in there
    Robinson 7 shame he was injured we missed him
    Etete 5 probably needed to go out on loan straight away for game time, I think he could develop into a decent Championship player?
    Tanner 2 will probably peak at non league level unless there is a massive improvement

It’s crystal clear that we don’t have time for “Projects”

Morison -5 way out of his depth and should have been shown the door after the defeat to the Jacks.
    He should never have been allowed to be involved with a rebuilding programme

The board -5 For allowing Morison to be in charge

From the little I've seen of him Collins must be a good signing. I know that he has been injured for most of the season but, on the basis of the few times he has played, he is a definite plus in my book and will be a key member of the squad for next season. Our two best players were Kipre and Kaba and that doesn't say a lot for those who have been recruited with permanent contracts.

I agree with the earlier comment that we do not have time for projects and in that respect Etete, though greatly improved as the season went on, was a signing that we could not afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    7 goals and 6 assists in 23 games for a team that doesn't score. Involved directly in about a quarter of our league goals

Yes he missed some chances, but he was our only threat for some time

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he was out only threat for a while, would have liked to have seen him alongside Kaba
    I notice Paul Avabanana said in his column that "if he can get regular game time and service next season, he'll bang in the goals". His career average is one goal per 4.6 games, slightly better for us. Good attacking player, no doubt, but not someone I ever envisage "banging in the goals".

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    7 goals and 6 assists in 23 games for a team that doesn't score. Involved directly in about a quarter of our league goals

Yes he missed some chances, but he was our only threat for some time
    He also shouldn't be judged because he's not a centre forward. That's on Morison and the recruitment team. He's a very good player at this level, and he's now the best player at the club.

Allsop: 3. Good with his feet but a terrible shot stopper. Unable to command his box, and has no clue how to set up a defensive wall for free kicks.

Alnwick: 3. Didn't play a lot so maybe a bit harsh. Played well in the first game against Leeds but was horrendous in the replay. Not too arsed if he stayed on as a back-up on a low wage. Both keepers have been a downgrade though (I'd honestly have preferred Dillon Phillips to stay).

Romeo: 6. Definition of a textbook, average Championship RB. Not great, not terrible. Really needs to work on his crossing.

Campbell: N/A. Barely played so I won't give him a score. But from what I have seen, he looks like an abysmal signing. Reminds me of one of those random Dave Jones signings from the 2005-08 era that would play 3 games then disappear.

Kipre: 8. Easily our best signing. Calm and confident on the ball, reads the game well, and reminded me a little of Danny Gabbidon. Shame we won't be able to keep him.

Simpson: 3. Baffling how his CV looks so good. Left-sided centre halves are the golden goose at the moment, and I assume that's the only reason we signed him. Full of mistakes.

Collins: 7. Only played a few games but made enough of an impression that he could be a handy player. Especially in a big problem position for us. Hopefully he's back at it next year.

Nkounkou: 2. As others have said, great going forward, and should have been tried as a winger. However, the fact Everton thought he could play in the PL probably says more about the state of their recent recruitment than anything.

Rinomhota: 4. Someone else compared him to Will Vaulks; he reminds me more of Gavin Rae. Covers every blade of grass but has absolutely no impact in either box. Probably only 2 or 3 games this season where I thought "yeah, he played well today" - the rest of the time, you barely noticed he was on the pitch.

Sawyers: 3. Given his track record and experience, by far the biggest disappointment. Lamouchi seemed to get something out of him for 4 or 5 games, but way too slow and, ultimately, a liability. Wanted to stroll round the pitch spraying passes but I don't think he's good enough any more.

Adams: N/A. Scored a lovely volley for the U23s the other day. Here's hoping he can hit the ground running and make up for lost time next year.

O’Dowda: 8. Someone said his attacking stats were pretty average, but he did all best work defensively for me. Others have said he's injury prone, but he played 40 odd games. Was our only reliable option at LB after Collins' injury and didn't moan; just got on with it playing out of position and gave 100%. Deserves a run on the wing next year.

Ojo: 1. I've defended Ojo in the past, but now I'm not even sure he'd cut it in League 2. There are rumours going around that he's got other priorities; that would explain why he hasn't resembled anything close to a footballer for nearly 2 years now. At this point, he's just blocking opportunities for players like Colwill and Davies.

Philogene: 7. The boy clearly has talent. Not sure if he'll cut it at PL level yet, but there's definitely an exciting player in there. As with most young wingers, consistency was an issue, but for a lot of the time, he looked like our most dangerous attacking player.

Robinson: 7. Missed a lot of chances and let us down against Swansea, but a very intelligent player that links play well. It's a shame he didn't get 15-20 games alongside Kaba, as they would have been a handy little partnership. If we can get another Kaba-type striker next year who just comes alive in the box, I think Robinson is a must as a deeper forward.

Etete: 5. Obviously needs to score more goals, but his improvement throughout the season was very good. Can frustrate, but does a lot of good things. And he's still very young. Reminds me a bit of Rudy Gestede - with the right coaching could turn into a handy player.

Tanner: N/A. Was a bit of a punt that hasn't really worked out. Unfair to give him a rating, but I'd be surprised if he ever makes another appearance for the first team. Only got a handful of minutes on loan in the National League, which doesn't bode well.