+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When was Vincent Tan supposed to be "jetting over" for that meeting with Sabri Lamouchi?

When was Vincent Tan supposed to be "jetting over" for that meeting with Sabri Lamouchi?

Seems about a week since it was being reported, shouldn't we have heard something about the outcome by now? They always say that sides in the Play offs are at a disadvantage when it comes to planning for the following season because they can't be sure of what division they're going to be in. The situation is different at City, but with no confirmation yet as to who our manager will be for the start of 23/24, we are, effectively in the same position as those Play Off teams.

That said, at many clubs the manager plays little part in the recruitment processes and basically ends up having to deal with what he is given. The difference is though that most such clubs have structures where their recruitment department could carry on with their work in he event of their manager leaving because they have a clear philosophy of how they want to play the game.

Seeing as we ended the season playing the sort of football we've played for much of the past decade with a squad which was supposedly assembled with the intention of playing in a completely different manner, we clearly do not have a coherent philosophy as to how we want to play the game. Although we've come up with some good loans lately, I wouldn't want our summer rebuilld to be carried out by people who are not involved in the management and/or coaching of the team.

We need to confirm Lamouchi in the job or get someone else in quick if there's a problem with him staying here - the bargains in he market we're forced to shop in will be gone pretty quickly and the last thing we want is to end up recruiting people in the month before the season starts who nobody else wanted.

Re: When was Vincent Tan supposed to be "jetting over" for that meeting with Sabri Lamouchi?

Tan has been in London this week, as it was reported that he’d taken the Women’s team out for dinner and had received them at the Malaysian High Commission. He’s apparently over as part of the Malaysian delegation for the Coronation.
    It’s also been reported that he leaves on Sunday, so a conclusion to those discussions must surely be imminent.

Re: When was Vincent Tan supposed to be "jetting over" for that meeting with Sabri Lamouchi?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Tan has been in London this week, as it was reported that he’d taken the Women’s team out for dinner and had received them at the Malaysian High Commission. He’s apparently over as part of the Malaysian delegation for the Coronation.
    It’s also been reported that he leaves on Sunday, so a conclusion to those discussions must surely be imminent.

It really isnt look good is it. We really need made major restructuring and urgently.

I dont agree we played the sort of football we did for most of the last decade though.

We went from a very good direct side who were really good and dangerous at set plays and throws and had players who could counter quick and play in the final third with a hard physical defence to eventually a poor direct side under McCarthy.

I really couldnt tell you what our football identify is. We are a poor passing side and a poor direct side and seem to play a bit of both and hope something happens. We offer no threat whatsoever from set plays and look vulnerable from them.

The shambles of Tan Choo and Dalman need to get their acts together quickly or we are going one way.

I fear Tan really couldnt care less and its all about cost cutting.

We badly need a buyout but lets face it nobody is going to buy us anytime soon.

City need to get a move on. Watford have already appointed their first new manager of the season and have probably lined up their second and third too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    City need to get a move on. Watford have already appointed their first new manager of the season and have probably lined up their second and third too.
    Cardiff have a wealth of future management prospects already in the queue Dave, Tess in the canteen, Big Steve who polishes the Fred Keenor statue, Ron the kit man etc etc

I’m hoping that all the necessary agreements have been made and we are just awaiting the announcement.

Then again it wouldn’t surprise me if Tan flies back to Malaysia on Sunday, and then Lamouchi flies out to meet him on Monday, all on the clubs expense of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    It really isnt look good is it. We really need made major restructuring and urgently.

I dont agree we played the sort of football we did for most of the last decade though.

We went from a very good direct side who were really good and dangerous at set plays and throws and had players who could counter quick and play in the final third with a hard physical defence to eventually a poor direct side under McCarthy.

I really couldnt tell you what our football identify is. We are a poor passing side and a poor direct side and seem to play a bit of both and hope something happens. We offer no threat whatsoever from set plays and look vulnerable from them.

The shambles of Tan Choo and Dalman need to get their acts together quickly or we are going one way.

I fear Tan really couldnt care less and its all about cost cutting.

We badly need a buyout but lets face it nobody is going to buy us anytime soon.
    We've got an under 23 set up that, by all accounts, is far more comfortable on the ball than our first team. It's maybe no wonder some of our youngsters struggle in our first team, when the style of play is completely different.

I'd suggest that we need a complete rethink in midfield. There's plenty of industry but no creativity. Between them, Ralls, Rinhamota and Wintle make Gavin Rae look like Pirlo. We can't control the middle of the park so we're forced to be direct.

Our possession stats have been abysmal for some time. While there are occasionally examples of sides that have done remarkably well with crap possession stats, it doesn't happen that often. I'm not an advocate of any tippy tappy, passing nonsense, I find it as boring as aimless hoofball garbage. Being able to keep some semblance of possession means we're not chasing the ball around as much. There are times when a steady build up is required as well as being more direct - our steady build up must have been the slowest and most predictable in the division this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We've got an under 23 set up that, by all accounts, is far more comfortable on the ball than our first team. It's maybe no wonder some of our youngsters struggle in our first team, when the style of play is completely different.

I'd suggest that we need a complete rethink in midfield. There's plenty of industry but no creativity. Between them, Ralls, Rinhamota and Wintle make Gavin Rae look like Pirlo. We can't control the middle of the park so we're forced to be direct.

Our possession stats have been abysmal for some time. While there are occasionally examples of sides that have done remarkably well with crap possession stats, it doesn't happen that often. I'm not an advocate of any tippy tappy, passing nonsense, I find it as boring as aimless hoofball garbage. Being able to keep some semblance of possession means we're not chasing the ball around as much. There are times when a steady build up is required as well as being more direct - our steady build up must have been the slowest and most predictable in the division this season.
    Our possession stats in 2022/23 were 47% (50% at home; 43% away).

Not abysmal - but I suppose it is what the team did with that possession.

My main impression on this from last season is that we were often very slow starters - with very little ball in the first 15-20 minutes. Then we started to push and play a bit and the possession numbers started to recover as the game progressed.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Our possession stats in 2022/23 were 47% (50% at home; 43% away).

Not abysmal - but I suppose it is what the team did with that possession.

My main impression on this from last season is that we were often very slow starters - with very little ball in the first 15-20 minutes. Then we started to push and play a bit and the possession numbers started to recover as the game progressed.
    I agree about the slow starts, but I’d go further and say that they tended to last forty five minutes. This flies in the face of those 3-goal first half’s leads at Boro, Blackpool and Watford, but, increasingly, I’m thinking the big issue at the club is our inability to cash in on the “advantage” of playing at home. When is the last time we put in a good, dominant first half performance at Cardiff City Stadium? I can’t think of one last season - in fact, I’m struggling to think of one in the last three seasons!

A common theme at City in recent seasons is our inability to get our “play maker” (we never have more than one!) on the ball in the early stages of a game. Our home record wasn’t as bad as it is now during Lee Tomlin’s time at the club, but it was very rare that he had an impact on things in the first half of games. The same applies to Harry Wilson and Rubin Colwill when he started games.

To have the same problem season after season suggests an ingrained way of thinking about how to approach a match. I’m probably applying the rose tinted glasses treatment here, but it seems to me that we’d go for it from the start when we played at home - poor, out of form sides have come to Cardiff City Stadium in the last three seasons and been given a nice, gentle introduction to proceedings which only succeeds in instilling confidence in them - we’ve been cowards when playing at home for at least the last two seasons.

Youve got to question the coaching as well.

It really isnt one thing. Its the whole set up.

Off field in the boardroom , the coaching staff , the playing staff.

It needs a complete overhaul.

Tan just annouced
    Flew in from Miami Beach, B-O-A-C
    Didn't get to bed last night
    On the way, the paper bag was on my knee
    Man, I had a dreadful flight
    I'm back in the C;C;S
    You don't know how lucky you are, boy
    Back in the C;C;S

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Tan just annouced
    Flew in from Miami Beach, B-O-A-C
    Didn't get to bed last night
    On the way, the paper bag was on my knee
    Man, I had a dreadful flight
    I'm back in the C;C;S
    You don't know how lucky you are, boy
    Back in the C;C;S
    Been away so long I hardly knew the place...

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Youve got to question the coaching as well.

It really isnt one thing. Its the whole set up.

Off field in the boardroom , the coaching staff , the playing staff.

It needs a complete overhaul.
    What’s the most likely scenario for this summer…..
    A. Tan finally sells up, new owners install a proper DoF with a decent manager lined up….reasonable budget
    B. Tan bumbles along as is no info as ever, no plan and gives lamouchi the job, woeful start, sacked in September.relegation on the cards
    C. Tan realises the only way he will ever get his cash he’s lost back is to get us up to the sunshine league so gets a decent CEO, manager, pays up for Sala and on we roll…..with 10 million to spend.
    D. Tan bumbles along, gives lamouchi the job and we manage to stay up…just….again.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    A. Tan finally sells up, new owners install a proper DoF with a decent manager lined up….reasonable budget
    B. Tan bumbles along as is no info as ever, no plan and gives lamouchi the job, woeful start, sacked in September.relegation on the cards
    C. Tan realises the only way he will ever get his cash he’s lost back is to get us up to the sunshine league so gets a decent CEO, manager, pays up for Sala and on we roll…..with 10 million to spend.
    D. Tan bumbles along, gives lamouchi the job and we manage to stay up…just….again.
    E. Gets us relegated 3 years on the trot, then sells the land for housing

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    E. Gets us relegated 3 years on the trot, then sells the land for housing

Doesn't the lease state the land has to be a sports ground?

This thread is like a who’s who of manic depressives about City’s future. Meanwhile, others of us are looking forward to next season in the Championship with anticipation of an upturn in our fortunes.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    This thread is like a who’s who of manic depressives about City’s future. Meanwhile, others of us are looking forward to next season in the Championship with anticipation of an upturn in our fortunes.
    I take it you’re using the Royal we when you say “us”?

DM68?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    What's the club worth to a buyer ? Probably the same as a poor Championship club and a very average league 1 club. Not sure he's bothered about selling anyway whilst the Sala situation remains un-resolved. Just treading water and occasionally getting Dalman or Choo to make the right noises..

According to the BBC the meeting had happened.
    Cardiff City: Sabri Lamouchi meets owner Vincent Tan to discuss future - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65579019

I've got to ask - what has happened during the season just ended and since its completion that makes you anticipate an upturn in our fortunes?

I've got to ask - what has happened during the season just ended and since its completion that makes you anticipate an upturn in our fortunes?
    I think he means that it surely can’t be any worse than the season just gone, but it could get worse.
    More importantly, has DML just admitted that we’ve had a poor season…??

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I think he means that it surely can’t be any worse than the season just gone, but it could get worse.
    More importantly, has DML just admitted that we’ve had a poor season…??
    Anticipate - to expect, predict or regard as probable. He's 99% certain next season will be better. I think that's quite a big difference. I just want to know why he thinks that, not just from blind optimism.

Anticipate - to expect, predict or regard as probable. He's 99% certain next season will be better. I think that's quite a big difference. I just want to know why he thinks that, not just from blind optimism.
    Possibly he thought Ojo was on loan?