+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If someone had told me

If someone had told me

When i was a young innocent 14/15 yr old regularly going down the City and watching old division 4 dross, that I’d go on to see my team play 5 times at Wembley, including 2 cup finals, I’d have laughed in their face.
    Same must apply to Man City fans who were there when they were in the 3rd tier, being told they’d be 2 games from being League, FA cup and European champions.

Re: If someone had told me

Don't you mean 4 times and 3 games ?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    When i was a young innocent 14/15 yr old regularly going down the City and watching old division 4 dross, that I’d go on to see my team play 5 times at Wembley, including 2 cup finals, I’d have laughed in their face.
    Same must apply to Man City fans who were there when they were in the 3rd tier, being told they’d be 2 games from being League, FA cup and European champions.
    Indeed. It's all about perspectives.

If you'd been a City fan 30 years earlier and someone had said we'd spend nearly 2 decades bobbing about the bottom 2 divisions, you'd have laughed in their face.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Don't you mean 4 times and 3 games ?
    No. 5 times, 2 cup finals.

No. 5 times, 2 cup finals.
    Isn’t it
    2 x cup finals
    1 x semi final
    1 x play off final
    4 in total

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Isn’t it
    2 x cup finals
    1 x semi final
    1 x play off final
    4 in total
    Spurs?

Ralls was sent off for fouling Kane at Wembley.

Astonishing journey not ended yet loved up , downs and experience ,allowed me to meet some lovely people on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Ralls was sent off for fouling Kane at Wembley.
    It was Lucas Moura he fouled.

I forgot about Tottenham at Wembley but its still 3 games

Eh?

Blackpool, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Liverpool, Spurs. It’s 5 for me

Are you for real? 2 cup finals. League cup and FA cup. Where are you getting 3 ?

Are you for real? 2 cup finals. League cup and FA cup. Where are you getting 3 ?
    Man City are 3 games away from the 3 trophies not 2

Imagine being a Tottenham fan 15 years ago being told you would play at Wembley 20 odd times.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Imagine being a Tottenham fan 15 years ago being told you would play at Wembley 20 odd times.

Well said! The free fall from 2nd Division to 4th during the 80's were bereft of hope. The mid 90's under Kumar/Hibbitt after the short term high of the Rick Wright years were depressing. The Graham Williams relegation season after 5 years of promise and great football was another low. Most of which was witnessed by crowds of circa £3k

A real difference now is the extreme and imbalanced commentary you get on social media.

I'd be happy with lower/mid-table mediocrity this coming season, if we play attractive football and some of the local kids get a chance.

Nah I disagree with this.

What defines enjoyment and even success in football isn't what level you are at. Eg last season we came much higher in the pyramid than 1993, yet should we be celebrating and praising more so than in 1993? Of course not.

Everton fans should be amongst the happiest around being in the Premier league for so long. Are they? Wrexham should be miserable they are still only league 2.

For me success and enjoyment is pretty much the same at any level. Eg you use man City as an example but their 3rd tier play off final win v Gillingham was probably more exciting and tense than when they win the champions league in a few weeks.

Exactly !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Exactly !!!!!
    So many Bellends on here 😁

Man City are 3 games away from the 3 trophies not 2
    Aww, you thought the Blackpool game was a cup final. Bless you.

I don't see it as 'we were very bad and now we're better".

I see it as "with our population and potential catchment area, we should be nowhere near League One".

That's my belief regardless of how we're doing.

Aww, you thought the Blackpool game was a cup final. Bless you.
    No I didn't and you thought Man City were 2 games away from securing 3 trophies.
    Bless your cotton socks.

No I didn't and you thought Man City were 2 games away from securing 3 trophies.
    Bless your cotton socks.
    They are. I know it you know it. The whole footballing world know it 👍

with only one trophy to show for it

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    The Graham Williams relegation season after 5 years of promise and great football was another low.
    Are you sure about this?

I was 4 when Williams was sacked so I know virtually nothing about those times. However, in the 5 seasons before the relegation season of 1982, our two highest finishes were 9th and 15th, having also finished 18th, 19th twice and then 20th to suffer relegation.

In fact, since the 3rd placed finish in 1971 until 1982 we finished in the top half of Division 2 only once more, suffered one relegation in 1975 and finished 17th or lower in Division 2 on 8 occasions. On the face of the stats alone they don't appear to show much promise, so I'm interested to learn more about the club at the time.

Just by way of comparison, between 2006 and 2021 we managed 13 top half finishes in the Championship in 14 seasons. We've never had it so good in this division. In fact, I think 4 bottom half finishes in the last 18 Championship seasons is pretty good going.