+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Straight from the horse's mouth - "Brexit has failed".

Straight from the horse's mouth - "Brexit has failed".

Re: Straight from the horse's mouth - "Brexit has failed".

One positive. I was in Spain 2 weeks ago and for the first time ever after I got through passport control my case was there waiting for me on a non moving belt.

Nothing to do with the extra time it took to get through passport control of course.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Prior to the vote, none of Brexit's main political protagonists were either willing or able to clearly articulate the version of Brexit they favoured.

No surprise then when opportunist demagogues like Farage now argue that Brexit could still be great but unfortunately it was and is in the hands of incompetents who are failing to deliver the sunny uplands in their true vision.

So along the way you get Lord Frost, the guy who negotiated the "oven ready" deal resigning because of the deal he negotiated, Rees-Mogg wailing from the belfry that his batshit crazy idea to abolish 4000 pieces of legislation by year end regardless of the impact hit the rocks on first contact with reality and Kwarteng's Brexit enabled deregulatory trickle down budget spooking the markets and costing the UK billions in the process. The rump of the ERG sit on the touchline taking potshots at any sane attempts like the Northern Ireland protocol to temper the damage this poor deal has introduced.

What's that old adage, in the end all revolutions devour their own children?

The best one for the disaster is its the remainers fault.🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    One positive. I was in Spain 2 weeks ago and for the first time ever after I got through passport control my case was there waiting for me on a non moving belt.

Nothing to do with the extra time it took to get through passport control of course.
    My wife travels on an Irish passport and still takes pleasure in trying to find a spot where she can wave at me standing in the non-EU queue after she's sailed through.

An extra 10 minute wait (sometimes more) isn't the end of the world, but just one small manifestation of the pointlessness and stupidity of the whole project.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I didnt know Farage was in charge of making Brexit happen ?, he wanted out of the EU. He didnt or never had the power of being able to set the direction or policies of post Brexit Britain.

For that you can blame any number of politicians and bureaucrats. Theresa May tried to make it not happen, Frost didnt do a great job either. Barnier negotiated for his side and tried to obfuscate, the Irish PM threatened all sorts re the Irish border issue.

There seemed to be a collective will to make it not happen. All Farage did was argue to leave - he didnt have a political mandate to run the UK Govt etc he isnt an MP. So not really sure of your point.

The best one for the disaster is its the remainers fault.🤣
    The JamesWales classic

Farage and his followers are total planks. Its not working so its the politicians fault. Everyone bar the staunch brexiteers.🤣🤣🤣

Farage and his followers are total planks. Its not working so its the politicians fault. Everyone bar the staunch brexiteers.🤣🤣🤣
    Whose job was it to make it work ? , Starmer was Shadow Brexit Minister (he had no plan either).
    It was the UK Govt's job to 'make it happen' and up until it seems they havent made a good fist of it. Maybe Labour could have done better or the Lib Dems (whose policy was to campaign to go back in). Labour policy was to put it to a second vote and campaign to re join.

So there you have it - above were the options post Brexit. Go back in - is like going back to your ex wife and seeing how well it'll work out a second time.....

The bed was made - UK Gov choose not to make it even though they had to sleep in it - to coin a phrase

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Whose job was it to make it work ? , Starmer was Shadow Brexit Minister (he had no plan either).
    It was the UK Govt's job to 'make it happen' and up until it seems they havent made a good fist of it. Maybe Labour could have done better or the Lib Dems (whose policy was to campaign to go back in). Labour policy was to put it to a second vote and campaign to re join.

So there you have it - above were the options post Brexit. Go back in - is like going back to your ex wife and seeing how well it'll work out a second time.....

The bed was made - UK Gov choose not to make it even though they had to sleep in it - to coin a phrase
    I think going back in is more like going back to your ex wife because you realise she's the best out there.

You've tested the water, died your hair, got contact lenses, lost about 3 stone, bought a whole new wardrobe of clothes way too young for you and maxed out your credit card, shagged everything that moves, embarrassed yourself because you can't get it up any more and come to the conclusion there's only slags and money grabbers out there after all.

Midlife crisis can be a bummer. Let's hope the old gal is forgiving of your lapse of judgement.

I didnt know Farage was in charge of making Brexit happen ?, he wanted out of the EU. He didnt or never had the power of being able to set the direction or policies of post Brexit Britain.

For that you can blame any number of politicians and bureaucrats. Theresa May tried to make it not happen, Frost didnt do a great job either. Barnier negotiated for his side and tried to obfuscate, the Irish PM threatened all sorts re the Irish border issue.

There seemed to be a collective will to make it not happen. All Farage did was argue to leave - he didnt have a political mandate to run the UK Govt etc he isnt an MP. So not really sure of your point.
    No, I’ll blame Farage thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I think going back in is more like going back to your ex wife because you realise she's the best out there.

You've tested the water, died your hair, got contact lenses, lost about 3 stone, bought a whole new wardrobe of clothes way too young for you and maxed out your credit card, shagged everything that moves, embarrassed yourself because you can't get it up any more and come to the conclusion there's only slags and money grabbers out there after all.

Midlife crisis can be a bummer. Let's hope the old gal is forgiving of your lapse of judgement.
    I like the analogy, however in reality going back to the old bird - just gives her more leverage over you. So if it were me - I'd wish the old gal all the best, lets stay in touch and on a friendly basis, maybe even share a social glass of wine. But after that - I'd rather either be on my own.

Of course if being pu ssy whipped is your thing and having the old nag like a stone around your neck then crack on and crawl back up the garden path begging for forgiveness - which the old bint is never going to give you :(

Things that people want can fail, and things the people don't want can be successfully implemented. Welcome to the technocratic future.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Things that people want can fail, and things the people don't want can be successfully implemented. Welcome to the technocratic future.
    I'm sure there's an important message here from some sort of higher level of intelligence.

Concentrate, people!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I'm sure there's an important message here from some sort of higher level of intelligence.

Concentrate, people!
    You can start with the unelected PM who is following an entirely different agenda to what was in the manifesto way back when. Boris did his bit before jumping ship, and we will soon have a handover to Starmer. Unfortunately, people like you will be none the wiser. You talk a good game, but your tactical knowledge is terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    You can start with the unelected PM who is following an entirely different agenda to what was in the manifesto way back when. Boris did his bit before jumping ship, and we will soon have the handover to Starmer. Unfortunately, people like you will be none the wiser. You talk a good game, but your tactical knowledge is terrible
    'People like me'. You haven't the first idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    'People like me'. You haven't the first idea.
    In that case, you must be acutely aware of where we are heading. Good on you

I like the analogy, however in reality going back to the old bird - just gives her more leverage over you. So if it were me - I'd wish the old gal all the best, lets stay in touch and on a friendly basis, maybe even share a social glass of wine. But after that - I'd rather either be on my own.

Of course if being pu ssy whipped is your thing and having the old nag like a stone around your neck then crack on and crawl back up the garden path begging for forgiveness - which the old bint is never going to give you :(
    Forgetting the ex wife for a moment I'd be over the moon if we crawled back to the EU with our tails between our legs and they heaped even more leverage upon us. To my mind we got away with far too much. Those bloody vetoes we were given were endangering the project.

In the industry I work in, I think it would be fair to say that Brexit has failed, in trying to complete something today, Brexit has caused a complication with a smallish financial impact, and with probably a 2 week delay, on a project that is currently approx. 18 months late,
    the extra two weeks isn't a biggie!! (18 months sounds a lot and it is, but factor in C19 and steel supply problems due to the conflict in UKRAINE!!
    I would also add that being in the EU for the period that we were, in the same industry, I would also judge it as a part failure in that much harmonisation of standards didn't happen and it should have IMO. Now having had some time to reflect on the leave, I've not seen any positives and the negatives have been minor, a big exporter I would guess will have had a difficult time.

What a turd of a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    In the industry I work in, I think it would be fair to say that Brexit has failed, in trying to complete something today, Brexit has caused a complication with a smallish financial impact, and with probably a 2 week delay, on a project that is currently approx. 18 months late,
    the extra two weeks isn't a biggie!! (18 months sounds a lot and it is, but factor in C19 and steel supply problems due to the conflict in UKRAINE!!
    I would also add that being in the EU for the period that we were, in the same industry, I would also judge it as a part failure in that much harmonisation of standards didn't happen and it should have IMO. Now having had some time to reflect on the leave, I've not seen any positives and the negatives have been minor, a big exporter I would guess will have had a difficult time.
    The 'project' was all about expansion (cheap labour and access to new markets) and the redistribution of wealth.
    Ive been working in IT for a logistics company on a contract - Ive seen first hand the mess EU regs have caused the UK, as far as software goes it's been stupidly crazy. But if you were integrated and then all of a sudden you arent - there are going to be teething problems. (although the free ports idea is great).

We went in on a lie and we came out on sort of one. 30 odd years of gradual integration is not going to undo itself over night. We'll be ok though.

The 'project' was all about expansion (cheap labour and access to new markets) and the redistribution of wealth.
    Ive been working in IT for a logistics company on a contract - Ive seen first hand the mess EU regs have caused the UK, as far as software goes it's been stupidly crazy. But if you were integrated and then all of a sudden you arent - there are going to be teething problems. (although the free ports idea is great).

We went in on a lie and we came out on sort of one. 30 odd years of gradual integration is not going to undo itself over night. We'll be ok though.
    Sounds like you have found one of those Brexit dividends.

What specifically can you point to from your first hand experience in software development and management in EU Regulations that has caused such a stupidly crazy mess for the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Sounds like you have found one of those Brexit dividends.

What specifically can you point to from your first hand experience in software development and management in EU Regulations that has caused such a stupidly crazy mess for the UK?
    "Ive been working in IT for a logistics company on a contract - Ive seen first hand the mess EU regs have caused the UK,"

We have had to re write massive amounts code on the internal logistics system to reflect the changes that required us to get trucks through customs as quickly as before. When I say 'us' I mean the company I was contracted by to help expand their infrastructure. The devs at one stage, about 18 months ago would be writing code fixes over night.

It's settled down a bit now , hence the company are doing moving a new more de coupled architecture, aws basically. Rather than the monolithic stack that was in place.

I saw this interview, as I watch Newsnight most night unless I'm out boozing with Dorcus, going to gigs with Sludge or walking the Quantocks at dark with TBG.

Farage wasn't saying Brexit has failed. He was saying the Tories implementation of it has. And that's viewed from his perspective that a hard Brexit is a good idea, that the shock of that was worth it in the long term and that we should be making more use of Brexit freedoms etc rather than pragmatic alignments with the EU.

I think he's wrong on that, and most people would, but the desire of the headline proved to strong I guess!

Not withstanding the fact that Brexit is never 'finished' so it can't fail or succeed any more than we can say Wales has failed or Cardiff City have failed.

Again; our GDP growth outperformed our European peers in 2002. Our unemployment rate is lower. Our main stock market outperformed the major European ones. Our wage growth is higher, and inflation rate peaked at about the same level.

Whenever anyone points to 'the disaster" they tend to use predictions, guesswork, memes and short take outs from interviews.

Is Britain thriving? No Is anywhere thriving? No.

I said at the start of this year that 2023 is the year when we will finally have some data that is post brexit that isn't totally distorted by Ukraine and COVID.

I will eat my hat if our full year GDP growth this year is much different from Germany, France etc. Our unemployment will almost certainly be lower and our wage growth will be better.

That's my prediction!

There are so many metrics that matter alongside GDP but so far in terms of 2023 Q1 GDP growth it's as follows. Full list in the link below.

Spain 0.5%
    Italy 0.5%
    Belgium 0.4%
    France 0.2%
    Euro area 0.1%
    UK 0.1%
    Germany 0%
    Austria -0.3%
    Netherlands -0.7%
    Ireland -2.7%

https://tradingeconomics.com/country...ntinent=europe

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I saw this interview, as I watch Newsnight most night unless I'm out boozing with Dorcus, going to gigs with Sludge or walking the Quantocks at dark with TBG.

Farage wasn't saying Brexit has failed. He was saying the Tories implementation of it has. And that's viewed from his perspective that a hard Brexit is a good idea, that the shock of that was worth it in the long term and that we should be making more use of Brexit freedoms etc rather than pragmatic alignments with the EU.

I think he's wrong on that, and most people would, but the desire of the headline proved to strong I guess!

Not withstanding the fact that Brexit is never 'finished' so it can't fail or succeed any more than we can say Wales has failed or Cardiff City have failed.

Again; our GDP growth outperformed our European peers in 2002. Our unemployment rate is lower. Our main stock market outperformed the major European ones. Our wage growth is higher, and inflation rate peaked at about the same level.

Whenever anyone points to 'the disaster" they tend to use predictions, guesswork, memes and short take outs from interviews.

Is Britain thriving? No Is anywhere thriving? No.

I said at the start of this year that 2023 is the year when we will finally have some data that is post brexit that isn't totally distorted by Ukraine and COVID.

I will eat my hat if our full year GDP growth this year is much different from Germany, France etc. Our unemployment will almost certainly be lower and our wage growth will be better.

That's my prediction!

There are so many metrics that matter alongside GDP but so far in terms of 2023 Q1 GDP growth it's as follows. Full list in the link below.

Spain 0.5%
    Italy 0.5%
    Belgium 0.4%
    France 0.2%
    Euro area 0.1%
    UK 0.1%
    Germany 0%
    Austria -0.3%
    Netherlands -0.7%
    Ireland -2.7%

https://tradingeconomics.com/country...ntinent=europe
    I think we can safely say Cardiff City has failed (hic)