+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Supermarket v Premium Petrol/Diesel

Supermarket v Premium Petrol/Diesel

I've always filled my car from the supermarket, but the last two times have used a shell garage. I am getting about 70 miles more from a tank v supermarket fuel (diesel). I believe its meant to be better for your car too.

Car people - Am I right or mad ?

Re: Supermarket v Premium Petrol/Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I've always filled my car from the supermarket, but the last two times have used a shell garage. I am getting about 70 miles more from a tank v supermarket fuel (diesel). I believe its meant to be better for your car too.

Car people - Am I right or mad ?
    I reckon you’re right , depends what car engine you have though.

Just been reading a piece on the Which? website and they say supermarket fuel tends to be a cheaper buy but may have less additives that help your engine. No evidence there that either option gives more mileage but the likes of Shell, etc. might be better for the running and life of your engine.

i cant see there being any difference as the fuel tankers filled up from the same storage tanks on the docks

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    i cant see there being any difference as the fuel tankers filled up from the same storage tanks on the docks
    Do you know that for sure. Because we know ships use different grades of fuel.

Exactly.

I've filled up with Shell V Power premium diesel twice recently. Reason being we lost engine power on the motorway on the way to the Norwich match. The engine had been stuttering before that. It looked like the auto stop/start light was flickering on and off. RAC could find no fault codes, followed us to the services, no further issues as the car restarted no problem. The suggestion was the exhahaust gas valve was sticking. So, tried additives to clean engine/ full carbon clean and premium diesel. Didn't work. Car still stuttering at roundabouts in particular. Had to return home and abandoned the trip to Stoke home match before getting on to the M5. Took the car to a local garage. Short version...not the auto start/stop. It was the (similar) traction control light flickering on and off. Two new sensors/two new rear axles and car is running fine. Still on the second tank of premium diesel and yes am getting more mpg. Engine is running very smooth. But, is extra cost of premium worth the small gain in mpg? Throw in two new (non corroded) rear axles and the picture is less clear. My thought now is maybe to fill up every 4th fill with premium to kero engine running cleaner.

I've seen his adverts in national press. He's got an excellent reputation in the trade and I doubt he would promote anything that would potentially harm it.

https://ftcdirect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    I've filled up with Shell V Power premium diesel twice recently. Reason being we lost engine power on the motorway on the way to the Norwich match. The engine had been stuttering before that. It looked like the auto stop/start light was flickering on and off. RAC could find no fault codes, followed us to the services, no further issues as the car restarted no problem. The suggestion was the exhahaust gas valve was sticking. So, tried additives to clean engine/ full carbon clean and premium diesel. Didn't work. Car still stuttering at roundabouts in particular. Had to return home and abandoned the trip to Stoke home match before getting on to the M5. Took the car to a local garage. Short version...not the auto start/stop. It was the (similar) traction control light flickering on and off. Two new sensors/two new rear axles and car is running fine. Still on the second tank of premium diesel and yes am getting more mpg. Engine is running very smooth. But, is extra cost of premium worth the small gain in mpg? Throw in two new (non corroded) rear axles and the picture is less clear. My thought now is maybe to fill up every 4th fill with premium to kero engine running cleaner.
    Try putting premium in around every 4th or so tank full.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I've seen his adverts in national press. He's got an excellent reputation in the trade and I doubt he would promote anything that would potentially harm it.

https://ftcdirect.com/
    having worked in automotive R&D many years ago my bullshit sensor is going overdrive here, I'll do some research into it though.

you see these kind of things quite regularly though and they always turn out to be baseless, like sticking magnets on your fuel lines etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    having worked in automotive R&D many years ago my bullshit sensor is going overdrive here, I'll do some research into it though.

you see these kind of things quite regularly though and they always turn out to be baseless, like sticking magnets on your fuel lines etc
    ok it's definitely bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

True. Honest John reckons they were developed in WW2 for Merlin engines running on low grade fuel, and that if you use 'super' fuel today they're irrelevant. Others rave about them.

Not entirely true, most of the brand companies have their own refineries.

There’s no single answer. It’s a combination of fuel quality (additives) and quality of fuel injection system.

No idea about quality but supermarkets, I suspect driven by Asda, have increased their margins on fuel in the last few years. Hopefully the CMA do something about it - Action to help contain cost of living pressures (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Dunno about fuel efficiency of different petrol types..but I do know the supermarkets are absolute bastards and totally in cahoots with eachother.

The very excellent www.petrolprices.com shows that. (it's well worth signing up).

Tesco charging £1.30 in Manchester but £1.39 in Cardiff. They are reacting to local markets of course, but it proves they couldn't give a toss about the cost of living. They could drop it to £.1.30 across the country tomorrow.

Edit: didn't see the post above before posting, but me and PontBlue seem to be saying the same thing.

I have had tow awful poor fuel experiences at supermarkets ,they are cheap for a reason only use use BP Ultimate range as they are better , particularly for the engine and performance , yes 5p a litre more however there is a long term gain in repair costs in my view , for example one of my fuel injectors went straight after filling up at a Tesco p 300 quid gone , got 4 on the car cleaner fuel cleaner injectors . yes it was 5p cheaper than the BP on Nantgarw however my car is now much smoother in its running when using BP fuel .

The after option is cheap fuel plus additives however that is costly and almost evens out the extra you paying for BP fuel

As MPG I have changed my driving behaviours drastically ie less speed , use cruise control , less brakingh , lighten the load in the car boot , slow down gradually rather speed and brake up too lights , junction ,easily getting 10 to 14 mpg benefit .

Just my experience others may have different views ,drive slow be safe , save money

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Not entirely true, most of the brand companies have their own refineries.

There’s no single answer. It’s a combination of fuel quality (additives) and quality of fuel injection system.
    And keeping the fuel injection system clean and efficient using better fuel and driving sensibly ??

I've stopped using supermarket fuel and will fill up with E5 at the garages I use, Texaco at Junction 35 (Pencoed), Esso at Cowbridge bypass and a shell garage in Pentwyn, I try not to run down to the warning light so that i can organise petrol from one of these garages, on longer journeys of cause you have to use what's available, by coincidence the car dealer i have bought my last two cars from just called me (looking for a sale) to remind me that I have 6 months left on my current PCP, I change my mind like the weather but am currently of the opinion that I would like an automatic diesel.

I fill my car at the same place regularly. The mileage read out after a fill-up can be anywhere from 380 to 450 miles. I don't know how this is calculated or even whether or not it's accurate.