+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Souness Swim

Souness Swim

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-65664357

Graeme Souness is going to swim the channel at aged 70 fair play to him and for a worthwhile cause.

Re: Souness Swim

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post

Graeme Souness is going to swim the channel at aged 70 fair play to him and for a worthwhile cause.
    Well done Mr Souness. Hope you raise much for such a worthy cause.

StT.
    <><

I’m old enough to remember Graeme Souness as a fine player, but a dirty sod who was never a favourite of mine after his disgraceful challenge on Peter Nicholas in a Scotland v Wales match at Hampden Park. I also didn’t rate him much as a pundit, but this news has brought about a change of mind on my part - what a great gesture to help such a worthy cause, my best wishes to all involved.

70?

he looks for good for 70

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m old enough to remember Graeme Souness as a fine player, but a dirty sod who was never a favourite of mine after his disgraceful challenge on Peter Nicholas in a Scotland v Wales match at Hampden Park. I also didn’t rate him much as a pundit, but this news has brought about a change of mind on my part - what a great gesture to help such a worthy cause, my best wishes to all involved.
    I'm taking all my grudges to the grave, and I would never wimp out just because somebody is having a splash about in the water. Luckily, I'm a fan of Mr Souness, so good luck to him and what a great gesture it is

Somewhat off message, but did anyone listen to "A boy in the water" on radio 4 extra https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bhfnpz.

The story of the youngest child (11 years old) to swim The Channel.

Amazing what he went through to reach his goal. If you are at all interested, catch it now before it disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    70?

he looks for good for 70
    He's always looked after himself and despite being a dirty get he was also a bit of a warrior

Anyone complaining about the French not stopping boats cross the channel won’t have a leg to stand on if we allow Souness to swim unchallenged over there

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He's always looked after himself and despite being a dirty get he was also a bit of a warrior
    Didn't he have a heart attack?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m glad you eventually realised what the purpose of this thread was all about.

He completed the swim.
    Fair play that is immense!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...t-65944866.amp

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    He completed the swim.

That's immense indeed. 21 ****ing miles!

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    He completed the swim.

Arise Sir Graeme!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Didn't he have a heart attack?
    Triple by pass about 20 years ago? Like so many causes, worth a donation

Think it was the 1992 FA cup final, Liverpool v Sunderland

He looks amazing for his age and is clearly in cracking shape

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post

I note that he did it with others. Did he swim the entire channel on his own or as part of a relay team (which in itself is impressive)

A colleague of mine swam the channel recently but as part of a team. So each swimmer was in the water a few hours then in the boat. It sounded brutal.

But I’d like to know…..

Found it.

‘Souness completed the challenge as part of a six-man relay team who completed the swim in a time of 12 hours and 17 minutes.’

Fair play to him but I’ll bet that most people think that he swam the whole thing on his own.
    Last edited by Bobby Dandruff; 18-06-23 at 18:44. Reason: Added content

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I note that he did it with others. Did he swim the entire channel on his own or as part of a relay team (which in itself is impressive)

A colleague of mine swam the channel recently but as part of a team. So each swimmer was in the water a few hours then in the boat. It sounded brutal.

But I’d like to know…..

Found it.

‘Souness completed the challenge as part of a six-man relay team who completed the swim in a time of 12 hours and 17 minutes.’

Fair play to him but I’ll bet that most people think that he swam the whole thing on his own.
    I think they do an hour about in a relay, so he probably did 2x 1 hour stints, still fair play & respect to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I think they do an hour about in a relay, so he probably did 2x 1 hour stints, still fair play & respect to him.
    Yeah my colleague trained so hard for it and said that it was really tough, and that is before you account for the state and temp of the water, and the congested sea lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Yeah my colleague trained so hard for it and said that it was really tough, and that is before you account for the state and temp of the water, and the congested sea lanes.
    Souness would have just two footed an oil tanker out of the way.

Well done Mr Souness - The little girl who has this illness which inspired him to do the swim really got to Graeme Souness. A real worthwhile cause

International

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Yes, fair play, but a two-hour swim in a day isn't like swimming the channel.

Still a great cause and raised a lot of awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Yes, fair play, but a two-hour swim in a day isn't like swimming the channel.

Still a great cause and raised a lot of awareness.
    Isn't Souness 70, and had a double heart bypass a few years ago?

International

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Isn't Souness 70, and had a double heart bypass a few years ago?
    Actually true it's good for his age and previous health issues, but I must admit before this morning's feature on BBC I thought he was swimming the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Actually true it's good for his age and previous health issues, but I must admit before this morning's feature on BBC I thought he was swimming the channel.
    Hope I'm that sprightly at that age! Yes they didn't make it very clear. Seeing how emotional he got during the interviews I'm sure would have convinced many people to donate regardless of how much of the distance he covered

International

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Hope I'm that sprightly at that age! Yes they didn't make it very clear. Seeing how emotional he got during the interviews I'm sure would have convinced many people to donate regardless of how much of the distance he covered
    Agreed he's a great bloke Sounes and you can see he really cares