+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Riot in Ely

Re: Riot in Ely

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Thanks, that's interesting. Perfectly understandable too. For some reason I started thinking about the boys' funerals earlier and wished I hadn't, what a devastating day that'll be.
    Yes, Ely will be very different on that day. There's plenty of community in Ely, yes there are some bad eggs, but i have never felt threatened up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Drakeford runs the national government.
    No, Rishi Sunak does when I last looked

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yes, Ely will be very different on that day. There's plenty of community in Ely, yes there are some bad eggs, but i have never felt threatened up there.
    I used to do a bit of care work in some houses there and I'd agree with you. I heard plenty of stories, of course, and I probably wouldn't cycle up Grand Avenue on firework night again out of choice but my experiences there were positive ones on the whole and it saddens me to think about last week and the problems they've got there.

It’s a worry what you can get away with these days though. You can just stand there and throw rocks at police and they’ll just stand there.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I used to do a bit of care work in some houses there and I'd agree with you. I heard plenty of stories, of course, and I probably wouldn't cycle up Grand Avenue on firework night again out of choice but my experiences there were positive ones on the whole and it saddens me to think about last week and the problems they've got there.
    I did care work as well, evenings, to supplement my income while the kids were little. Completely agree with you, it is sad what has happened, and the problems we see up there.

I grew up in Archer Rd in the late 60's and 70's. Walked to St Francis Primary School day after day, went to Cubs in the Scout Hall by Ely Police Station, played football on the pitches off Heol Trelai or on the Racecourse. Never felt threatened or intimidated back then.

It looks a totally different place now to that of my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I grew up in Archer Rd in the late 60's and 70's. Walked to St Francis Primary School day after day, went to Cubs in the Scout Hall by Ely Police Station, played football on the pitches off Heol Trelai or on the Racecourse. Never felt threatened or intimidated back then.

I remember circa late 70's walking a girlfriend back home to Ely around 2am on a Saturday night. Didn't think anything of it, dead quiet. We're living in another world today.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Similar, Curtis road, St Francis infants, St Francis Church, many of the local amenities at the time, very occasionally have a drive to see the house I grew up in, round pin plugs, town gas, outside shitter, not been for a few years, happy and sad memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    No, Rishi Sunak does when I last looked
    When I last looked it was Drakeford. Or are you trying to pretend Wales is not a nation?

Drakeford runs the national government.
    No, that happens if and when Wales gets full independence.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No, that happens if and when Wales gets full independence.
    Could you imagine the state he'd make of that he couldn't run a bath.

When I last looked it was Drakeford. Or are you trying to pretend Wales is not a nation?
    No pretending. Since when was it recognised as a sovereign nation by the UN?

It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It's not.
    Exactly! I rest my case.

You are confusing the words ‘nation’ and ‘state’. Wales is a country and a nation, but not a state. It is not sovereign in any way but will be once independent.

Since the 1987 local elections, Ely has elected 27 councillors, every last one of them has been Labour.

Over the same time 35 years, the council has been Labour led in 27 of those years. The Welsh Govt has been Labour run since it was created in 1999.

It's unbelievable and totally shameful the lack of responsibility that some local and Welsh politicians take.

And that's not to say by any stretch that everything is their fault. That's not how politics works, but equally pointing at Westminster all the time is not how it works either. It's pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Since the 1987 local elections, Ely has elected 27 councillors, every last one of them has been Labour.

Over the same time 35 years, the council has been Labour led in 27 of those years. The Welsh Govt has been Labour run since it was created in 1999.

It's unbelievable and totally shameful the lack of responsibility that some local and Welsh politicians take.

And that's not to say by any stretch that everything is their fault. That's not how politics works, but equally pointing at Westminster all the time is not how it works either. It's pathetic.
    And you are right to call out Labour on this occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    You are confusing the words ‘nation’ and ‘state’. Wales is a country and a nation, but not a state. It is not sovereign in any way but will be once independent.
    No I'm not confusing anything and there is still a huge question mark as to whether or not it will ever be independent.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

The people of Cardiff and in this case the people of Ely have had lots of opportunities to get rid of Labour and replace them with what you would like which is the conservatives

They have rejected them totally

There are lots of things wrong with labour in Wales but it seems the people don't want your lot

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The people of Cardiff and in this case the people of Ely have had lots of opportunities to get rid of Labour and replace them with what you would like which is the conservatives

There are lots of things wrong with labour in Wales but it seems the people don't want your lot
    Labour wants to tax workers more and pay more benefits, so, of course, they will vote for what benefits them most, everyone knows that surely?

If Wales had independence it would be the biggest political disaster ever, they can't manage the little bits of power they have, the NHS is 10 times worse than England, the Roads are a 10mph mess, the airports a car park with no planes, the economy is fecked, they want to tax the few tourists we have more, he hasn't got a clue!

International

No I'm not confusing anything and there is still a huge question mark as to whether or not it will ever be independent.
    Does anyone think Mark Drakeford is a good leader???

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Labour will always control Wales, grandfather Dai voted for them, My dad voted for them, so guess what, I'll vote for them ( which is exactly what I ( and most others ) do in Wales ( apart from voting for PC ) its all a little predictable

Also gives the people a reason to blame " Westminster " for all the woes they have

Well you said that Wales isnt a ‘sovereign nation’. That isn't a terminology that’s normally used, ‘sovereign state’ is correct. Wales is a nation and a country but not a sovereign state.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Labour wants to tax workers more and pay more benefits, so, of course, they will vote for what benefits them most, everyone knows that surely?

If Wales had independence it would be the biggest political disaster ever, they can't manage the little bits of power they have, the NHS is 10 times worse than England, the Roads are a 10mph mess, the airports a car park with no planes, the economy is fecked, they want to tax the few tourists we have more, he hasn't got a clue!
    Firstly I don't support Welsh independence

Secondly do YOU think that labour will tax working people more and increase the number on benefits ?

Thirdly do you think most people in Ely are on benefits ?

I don't think you are correct at all

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Labour will always control Wales, grandfather Dai voted for them, My dad voted for them, so guess what, I'll vote for them ( which is exactly what I ( and most others ) do in Wales ( apart from voting for PC ) its all a little predictable

Also gives the people a reason to blame " Westminster " for all the woes they have
    What do you think that the people living in London and the South East of England who struggle financially think about Rodger, his father Rupert and Grandfather Charles who vote for anyone in a Conservative rosette ? and have kept things that way for several hundred years ?

It's all a bit predictable eh