+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Riot in Ely

Re: Riot in Ely

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Lets also be honest here, the people out Rioting will not need a huge excuse to launch bricks at the police and burn out cars

Of course the Police should have been following them, do we let these type of idiots blast around on 30mph ( plus ) E-bikes and just say " oh thats ok, we dont want to upset them " then they slam into a old dear coming back from the corner shop and kill her
    The last time anything like this happened in Ely was 1991, most of the people attacking the police weren't even born back then. As cretinous as they may be, and without consideration for peoples safety or their community and the welfare of the people who live in it, i would add that these idiots probably do need quite a huge excuse to go out and do what they did, that doesn't make it right, it was appalling, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that this kind of shit could happen on a regular basis. The good people of Ely are being failed by the Police, by the local authority, by the education system, and by the politicians. It'll probably take something like this to make them react and do something, although i very much doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Being honest is what the police should have been doing from the start

We have had the police chief saying one thing , a chief superintendent saying something else ......once footage emerged of the van following them .....and today the assistant chief constable is in front of the press and cameras again ......admitting a van WAS following the boys

What's all that about and they must think some people came down in the last shower of rain ? !

The issue is not regarding the deaths of those two boys . Or criminal activity following the crash .

It's about the police reaction . It's all very well talking about the hard job the police have but nobody is forced to join and those at the top have got to engage properly and professionally with the public after incidents like this.

It's almost as if Cardiff City are running the show .
    These bikes and scooters are running around Ely constantly, i know, i have to dodge around them. The police don't do shit about it, they park up in their vans and ignore it for the best part. They react when it suits them to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    These bikes and scooters are running around Ely constantly, i know, i have to dodge around them. The police don't do shit about it, they park up in their vans and ignore it for the best part. They react when it suits them to do so.
    Wether their reaction was good , bad or nothing at all it's the fact they have from the start failed to state exactly the situation that people saw .....a police van following two kids on a scooter .....that has caused confusion , mistrust and given some the excuse to get involved in confrontation

Let's imagine some people on here were in Ely and saw the scooter being followed by a police van

The crash occurs and on social media people start saying what they saw .....kids being followed by a van

The police come out and say there wasn't a chase etc ......

To a lot of people that's going to feel that they are being challenged on what they saw

Chase , pursuit , trailed , shadowed

You say potato , I say potato etc etc

It really doesn't matter

The police failed to make sure everyone knew that the boys were being followed but when they crashed the police had withdrawn

This is all down to this simple matter . This missed opportunity has lit the fuse .

Were there any disturbances in Ely this evening?
    Driving along Western Ave the along Cowbridge Rd towards Culver at around 7.45 could see a tall plume of smoke, then 2 fire engines with sirens on making their way towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    of course you did..who gives a feck about the dead.
    Firstly, the two are not mutually exclusive. Secondly, as you can see by the title of this thread my comment was posted during the disturbances later in the evening and pertain to that and that only. I don't need to virtue signal any sympathies I have for the victims of what happened earlier. But if you want to be seen to be making a fuss, be my guest. Cheers now.

Wether their reaction was good , bad or nothing at all it's the fact they have from the start failed to state exactly the situation that people saw .....a police van following two kids on a scooter .....that has caused confusion , mistrust and given some the excuse to get involved in confrontation

Let's imagine some people on here were in Ely and saw the scooter being followed by a police van

The crash occurs and on social media people start saying what they saw .....kids being followed by a van

To a lot of people that's going to feel that they are being challenged on what they saw

It really doesn't matter

The police failed to make sure everyone knew that the boys were being followed but when they crashed the police had withdrawn

This is all down to this simple matter . This missed opportunity has lit the fuse .
    Lots I disagree with you on Sludge, but I’m with you on this.

I think my parents did a good job in bringing my siblings and I up, but the respect for and trust in the police that we had drummed into us during our childhoods has not been justified in my experience in the last forty years or so in particular. My use of the word experience is not totally justified mind because there’s been little direct experience of them (what there has been has been a mixture of good and bad), but life in general has taught me that the police tend to lurch from one crisis to another, there are plenty of fine wors spoken after something like the Stephen Lawrence inquiry, but, essentially, nothing ever changes - suffice it to say, I’m not sure how anyone can be shocked by, for example, the police actions against the Republic protesters a few weeks back or the lies after what happened on Monday - it’s what the police do.

International

It really doesn't matter

The communication was pathetic, but I suppose they were under pressure, every day the information was getting BBC verified, but even then all they were doing was looking at 1 or 2 cameras minutes before the accident, they didn't know the boys drove towards the police, saw them turned around and both ended up traveling in the same direction and that the police didn't actually pursue them for long, and were half a mile away from the accident.

It looks like a tragic accident but the police were not really involved and the riot was based on hearsay.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Lots I disagree with you on Sludge, but I’m with you on this.

I think my parents did a good job in bringing my siblings and I up, but the respect for and trust in the police that we had drummed into us during our childhoods has not been justified in my experience in the last forty years or so in particular. My use of the word experience is not totally justified mind because there’s been little direct experience of them (what there has been has been a mixture of good and bad), but life in general has taught me that the police tend to lurch from one crisis to another, there are plenty of fine wors spoken after something like the Stephen Lawrence inquiry, but, essentially, nothing ever changes - suffice it to say, I’m not sure how anyone can be shocked by, for example, the police actions against the Republic protesters a few weeks back or the lies after what happened on Monday - it’s what the police do.
    The police should be praised when they do a good job .....that's most of the time .....

The second CCTV video released yesterday actually makes it look nothing like a chase. Van was well behind them and then went a different direction. Unfortunately the press seem to sense a 'gotcha' moment and don't really seem to be analysing it

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    care to enlighten us?
    I wouldn't hold your breath.

That shows a gap of ~16 seconds between vehicles. At 20 mph that's a distance of 154m and at 30 mph a distance of 216m.
    That's not a chase or pursuit.

The gap is obviously shorter in the earlier video.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    The second CCTV video released yesterday actually makes it look nothing like a chase. Van was well behind them and then went a different direction. Unfortunately the press seem to sense a 'gotcha' moment and don't really seem to be analysing it
    Initially the lads were being closely followed , at 30 mph , by the police

They pulled back

We know all this

We have cctv of the police following the youngsters at 30 mph

Wether they were following them for 500 yards or 50 yards that's what they were doing

The police made initial statements that they were not involved

You cannot blame people for saying hold on a minute I saw you following them ......and it's been proved by cctv

The police from the start should have said .....officers were following two persons , it wasn't a full on chase but we were at speeds of 30 mph ....at a safe distance

This happened for approximately ....2 minutes .....insert time here

Then the scooter continued as our officers turned off the road

Shortly after the fatal accident occurred but we had no vehicles in the area at the time

What's so difficult about that ?

The police should be praised when they do a good job .....that's most of the time .....
    I'll take your word for it.

Initially the lads were being closely followed , at 30 mph , by the police

They pulled back
    I'd agree with that. Makes it hard for me to understand that it can be described as a chase. Certainly pushing it to suggest the police were chasing at time of accident.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    That shows a gap of ~16 seconds between vehicles. At 20 mph that's a distance of 154m and at 30 mph a distance of 216m.
    That's not a chase or pursuit.

The gap is obviously shorter in the earlier video.
    So in the earlier video people seeing that who are not experts in roads policing would think .....those boys are being tailed , followed etc by the police ....

So when the police initially say no police involved in accident then people are understandably going to think 🤔......they are taking the piss here

Clearly not a chase, still following but having kept a safe speed, lost them? Maybe
    Is it just me though or is that police van going at quite a speed for one that's not on blue lights
    Speed the boys were going at was crazy though and a tragic accident waiting to happen

So in the earlier video people seeing that who are not experts in roads policing would think .....those boys are being tailed , followed etc by the police ....

So when the police initially say no police involved in accident then people are understandably going to think 🤔......they are taking the piss here
    People put together snippets of information/gossip/hearsay and jumped to a conclusion. That's what led to the unrest.

Alun Michael's statement and early involvement was unnecessary and wrong. That's not his job. He should have allowed the police to gather evidence before letting them make a statement. I was speaking to a civilian member of swp last night - the general feeling in the force is that Alun Michael tends to get too involved in day to day matters, and the last couple of days shows that.

People put together snippets of information/gossip/hearsay and jumped to a conclusion. That's what led to the unrest.

Alun Michael's statement and early involvement was unnecessary and wrong. That's not his job. He should have allowed the police to gather evidence before letting them make a statement. I was speaking to a civilian member of swp last night - the general feeling in the force is that Alun Michael tends to get too involved in day to day matters, and the last couple of days shows that.
    The man is nearly 80 years old, he should be put out to graze.

I would be surprised if he doesn't step down

Seek help Sludge.

You started off on ths thread saying the police were not to blame and have now done a full 180 degree turn.

SW Police need a complete restructure, perhaps like the Police Scotland set up , it’s getting like the RUC in Ulster

Any credibility they perhaps once had has evaporated.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    SW Police need a complete restructure, perhaps like the Police Scotland set up , it’s getting like the RUC in Ulster

Any credibility they perhaps once had has evaporated.
    I’m not sure that Police Scotland is a great example.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-65706748

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I’m not sure that Police Scotland is a great example.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-65706748
    Yes just saw that but perhaps a restructure would be for the best , there has been far too many mistakes and miscarriages of justice for a force of that size. I also thought the ACC was rude to walk out of the press conference whilst questions were still being put to her yesterday.

Why is there such an insistence of CCTV footage also when there a numerous witnesses saying the children were being pursued?