+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food price inflation

Food price inflation

this government is doing jack all to address inflation and in particular food and energy costs. we are getting fleeced for gas, electric, petrol, diesel and food costs still nuts.

and we have useless politicians fecking around with immigration whilst we have labour shortages, dodgy politicians playing the system.

someone needs to focus on the real issues as people are pretty miffed.

i was in lidl and aldi today and shocked to see how their prices have gone up.

uk is one big mess!

sorry i meant this for the other forum.

Re: Food price inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    this government is doing jack all to address inflation and in particular food and energy costs. we are getting fleeced for gas, electric, petrol, diesel and food costs still nuts.

and we have useless politicians fecking around with immigration whilst we have labour shortages, dodgy politicians playing the system.

uk is one big mess!

I think this is right for this forum.

Apparently supermarkets are driving the huge price rises in cupboard items to stop people hoarding.

We have been subtly brain-washed into accepting that prices inevitably have to go up because of Ukraine war/fuel cost/animal feed costs/fertiliser costs, in the hope that we won't notice the huge percentage increases in cheaper (i.e. those costing £1 to £2) items. Forget 10%, we are talking 25% or more. This is exactly what happened after decimalisation in the early 70's.

Don't blame me I didn't vote conservative

uk is one big mess!

It's not true the govt have done **** all. They borrowed billions to help with fuel prices. I paid £4 a month for fuel in the winter just gone. As a country we borrowed £24bn last month. Nearly a billion pounds a day.

Immigration is not a real issue? Where the hell do you think people are living that come here? In the clouds?

As for food price inflation, it's worse across most of Europe. See point 4 here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65632019

Moaning won't solve anything if you don't properly identify the problem. It's like Sludge pointing to his bacterial infection and rubbing paracetamol into it whilst shouting about Tories.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's not true the govt have done **** all. They borrowed billions to help with fuel prices. I paid £4 a month for fuel in the winter just gone. As a country we borrowed £24bn last month. Nearly a billion pounds a day.

Immigration is not a real issue? Where the hell do you think people are living that come here? In the clouds?

As for food price inflation, it's worse across most of Europe. See point 4 here.

Moaning won't solve anything if you don't properly identify the problem. It's like Sludge pointing to his bacterial infection and rubbing paracetamol into it whilst shouting about Tories.
    Ladies and Gentlemen

Like Clockwork JamesWales is here to tell you he is not a raving tory

Honest

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen

Like Clockwork JamesWales is here to tell you he is not a raving tory

Honest
    Sludge.

1 / The govt have done something to address fuel bills. We all had help the last winter. So stop lying..

2 / Immigration does matter. People live in houses, use public services have jobs etc. There is only a finite number of those things. Are you retired? Do you own your own home?

3. / Food price inflation is worse across much of Europe. Ergo, the cause and the solution probably doesn't lie in this country.

Presenting facts doesn't make someone a Tory, although taking pleasure in a denial of facts whilst whingeing about them probably means you arent one.

Food Inflation across the world as of May 21

Food inflation:

Lebanon ���� 352%
    Venezuela ���� 158%
    Argentina ���� 110%
    Zimbabwe ���� 102%
    Turkey ���� 53.92%
    Pakistan ���� 48%
    Poland ���� 24%
    Czechia ���� 23.5%
    Germany ���� 21.2%
    Sweden ���� 19%
    United Kingdom ���� 19.1%
    Netherlands ���� 17.8%
    Euro Area ���� 17.5%
    Spain ���� 16.5%
    France ���� 14.9%
    South Africa ���� 14%
    Italy ���� 12.6%
    Mexico ���� 11.01%
    Canada ���� 8.9%
    United States ���� 8.5%
    Australia ���� 8%
    Japan ���� 7.8%
    Singapore ���� 7.7%
    Brazil ���� 7.29%
    Switzerland ���� 5.4%
    South Korea ���� 5%
    India ���� 4.79%
    Indonesia ���� 4.58%
    Russia ���� 2.57%
    China ���� 2.4%
    Saudi Arabia ���� 2.34%
    Hong Kong ���� 1.6%%

Honestly baffles me how Wales are happy to just rot when they've never voted Conservative, consistently ruled by a party they don't vote for but won't even consider independence or full devolution. The people are the issue, the politicians just take advantage, along with the media changing the narrative to suit.

But the decision to be in this situation in the first place is because of lack of long term thinking from our governments. We chronically fail at planning for the future, have your energy needs dependent on their countries is crazy.

This is caused by multiple governments, tories and Labour.

Glad you're ok with your £4 a month energy bills, mine over winter were £240 a month. The tories have utterly failed and I can't believe how so many still defend them.

uk is one big mess!

Hopefully this is moved to the other forum.

But your right.

The country is a mess but sadly they are more concerned with implementing far right ship em to Rwanda policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think this is right for this forum.

Apparently supermarkets are driving the huge price rises in cupboard items to stop people hoarding.
    I think close season it's fine, during the season no no no...

1. why are we paying crazy prices for electricity generated by wind and solar?
    2. why aren't petrol/diesel prices reduced when crude prices drop?
    3. why don't we let people in who genuinely want to work?

there's a starting list!

I am struggling to see why food is still rising near 20% as energy goes down. I get that anything sourced to any great extent from Russia/Ukraine will be affected but on some items that doesn't stack up. The only people I know who are getting anything close to inflation matching pay rises work in finance so where are the rises from?

Not energy
    Not wages

I was reading today about ofcom and the inflation + 3.7% rises on phone and broadband bills. They are starting an investigation to see if it was 'made clear to people', who gives a flying **** if it was clear?

Communications, housing, trains, water, energy, etc. Our private sector is completely rigged to fleece the consumer at every turn. Something needs to change drastically including getting rid of pointless enabling regulators like ofgem and ofcom.

Sludge.

1 / The govt have done something to address fuel bills. We all had help the last winter. So stop lying..

2 / Immigration does matter. People live in houses, use public services have jobs etc. There is only a finite number of those things. Are you retired? Do you own your own home?

3. / Food price inflation is worse across much of Europe. Ergo, the cause and the solution probably doesn't lie in this country.

Presenting facts doesn't make someone a Tory, although taking pleasure in a denial of facts whilst whingeing about them probably means you arent one.
    It does in your case

Here is a fact for you

This country is in a mess

And the party you kiss the arse of are in charge

So suck on that

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

Food inflation:

Lebanon ���� 352%
    Venezuela ���� 158%
    Argentina ���� 110%
    Zimbabwe ���� 102%
    Turkey ���� 53.92%
    Pakistan ���� 48%
    Poland ���� 24%
    Czechia ���� 23.5%
    Germany ���� 21.2%
    Sweden ���� 19%
    Netherlands ���� 17.8%
    Euro Area ���� 17.5%

Spain ���� 16.5%
    France ���� 14.9%

South Africa ���� 14%
    Italy ���� 12.6%
    Mexico ���� 11.01%
    Canada ���� 8.9%
    United States ���� 8.5%
    Australia ���� 8%
    Japan ���� 7.8%
    Singapore ���� 7.7%
    Brazil ���� 7.29%
    Switzerland ���� 5.4%
    South Korea ���� 5%
    India ���� 4.79%
    Indonesia ���� 4.58%
    Russia ���� 2.57%
    China ���� 2.4%
    Saudi Arabia ���� 2.34%
    Hong Kong ���� 1.6%%
    Looks like Europe is pretty much the same

Damm you Torys for instilling high food inflation across the whole of Europe, they should be ashamed

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

Damm you Torys for instilling high food inflation across the whole of Europe, they should be ashamed
    Here's another tory boy defending them , like clockwork

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

Food inflation:

Lebanon ���� 352%
    Venezuela ���� 158%
    Argentina ���� 110%
    Zimbabwe ���� 102%
    Turkey ���� 53.92%
    Pakistan ���� 48%
    Poland ���� 24%
    Czechia ���� 23.5%
    Germany ���� 21.2%
    Sweden ���� 19%
    Netherlands ���� 17.8%
    Euro Area ���� 17.5%
    Spain ���� 16.5%
    France ���� 14.9%
    South Africa ���� 14%
    Italy ���� 12.6%
    Mexico ���� 11.01%
    Canada ���� 8.9%
    United States ���� 8.5%
    Australia ���� 8%
    Japan ���� 7.8%
    Singapore ���� 7.7%
    Brazil ���� 7.29%
    Switzerland ���� 5.4%
    South Korea ���� 5%
    India ���� 4.79%
    Indonesia ���� 4.58%
    Russia ���� 2.57%
    China ���� 2.4%
    Saudi Arabia ���� 2.34%
    Hong Kong ���� 1.6%%
    Rishi Sunak welcome how are you this fine morning ?

If we include Turkey as a European country, I saw four countries with higher rates than the UK (Sweden is above us in the list, but the figure quoted for them is lower than ours) and six below us (seven if you include Sweden plus “Euro area”, whatever that is). That’s hardly us having lower food inflation than “most” of Europe, as claimed by this Board’s UK Government spokesman.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If we include Turkey as a European country, I saw four countries with higher rates than the UK (Sweden is above us in the list, but the figure quoted for them is lower than ours) and six below us (seven if you include Sweden plus “Euro area”, whatever that is). That’s hardly us having lower food inflation than “most” of Europe, as claimed by this Board’s UK Government spokesman.
    But still they are all struggling with the issue

But still they are all struggling with the issue
    James Wales said our food inflation is lower than most of Europe, that is just not true based on the figures Mozzer provided. I can’t speak for others, but I’m not claiming we are outliers here - there are global matters at play, just like there was in 2008 when Labour allegedly “wrecked the economy”.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    James Wales said our food inflation is lower than most of Europe, that is just not true based on the figures Mozzer provided. I can’t speak for others, but I’m not claiming we are outliers here - there are global matters at play, just like there was in 2008 when Labour allegedly “wrecked the economy”.
    Depends on the month we are looking at, but generally over the last six months our food inflation was below the EUs. From Aprils figures we are now just ahead, which fits in with the EUs general inflation rising, peaking and falling a couple of months before us. It's mentioned here that food prices may be higher on the continent.

More to the point, if we are in the business of fact-checking..then what about Taffy Blue saying "the govt are doing Jack all to address inflation..esp energy costs."

They (we!) have spent £37bn on the energy support scheme. Almost exactly £100m a day! On what planet is that 'jack all'?!

Britain makes billions from immigration once you factor in taxation income and cost. The end of freedom of movement in the EU has cost the taxpayer and made us financially worse off.

The UK could improve infrastructure and public services with the money it makes from immigration for the benefit of everybody.

You say there are only finite numbers of certain things. What would happen if completely shut down our borders to anyone coming in and we have a population boom? Do we start telling Brits to leave as there's no room for them, or will there always be room for British Citizens and we can always build the right infrastructure, public services etc for British people?

Depends on the month we are looking at, but generally over the last six months our food inflation was below the EUs. From Aprils figures we are now just ahead, which fits in with the EUs general inflation rising, peaking and falling a couple of months before us. It's mentioned here that food prices may be higher on the continent.

More to the point, if we are in the business of fact-checking..then what about Taffy Blue saying "the govt are doing Jack all to address inflation..esp energy costs."

They (we!) have spent £37bn on the energy support scheme. Almost exactly £100m a day! On what planet is that 'jack all'?!
    It's amazing that we can find all that money down the back of the government sofa, yet we continue to let our public services fall into decline.

Just got my car insurance renewal, cranked up 35%. Can someone direct me to a garden centre that sells money trees?

Where the feck are we supposed to find this extra money? I'm retired so can't b1oody strike.

And on the subject of energy pricing. How come the energy companies can charge consumers nearly a £1 a day for standing charges?

These crept up and are crazy and sorry but fleecing people. So you could in theory be using zero energy and still be charged over £350 per annum by the utility companies.

How can the current lot empathise with the hardship people are facing to feed their families and keep their homes warm?