+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Women's Footy

Re: Women's Footy

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well that's for others to decide

But cricket , golf , formula 1 and horse racing is banned as far as I am concerned
    Topless darts from Roehampton is allowed I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    That's your problem, not cricket's.
    It’s not a problem for me at all. Like the vast majority of people in the UK, I just ignore county cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Maybe only things that appeal to middle aged white straight men should be on the TV?
    Not at all. The coverage has driven the success of the international teams, but at a club level it's massively disproportionate to the interest and attendances.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Not at all. The coverage has driven the success of the international teams, but at a club level it's massively disproportionate to the interest and attendances.
    It’s a slow burner, but you have to start somewhere, if it has a positive effect on young impressionable girls, looking at playing sports rather than watching some moronic airhead telling them what to buy and watch and wear then it’s a good thing.
    If you’re not into it, simply do something else

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Precisely. The way some people talk about women’s football you’d think they were somehow being force-fed it. It’s as if the notion of watching something else instead hadn’t occurred to them. I find it really strange. For whatever reason, it seems some feel threatened by it.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    It’s a slow burner, but you have to start somewhere, if it has a positive effect on young impressionable girls, looking at playing sports rather than watching some moronic airhead telling them what to buy and watch and wear then it’s a good thing.
    I'm not disputing that at all. The development of the women's game over the last decade has been excellent. I don't think though that the level of coverage reflects its popularity, that's all.

Topless darts from Roehampton is allowed I assume?
    Of course

God bless em

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Scottish Premiership results are also listed ahead of Championship results. Do you object to that as well? I’m asking because I’ve never seen you mention it.
    Do I object to it ? No, but when the BBC used to read out the football results the Scottish Premiership came after League 2.

SuperBluebirds91

I actually prefer women’s football to watching championship men’s. It’s a lot cleaner - you haven’t got players rolling all over the floor or arguing with the ref constantly. It’s much more respectful. They are a higher level of skill (not power) than the championship IMO. Just to mention the match that the OP watched was top against the bottom and there’s quite a difference in the quality there - defensively they were probably made to look dreadful. I don’t think you can make up your mind after watching just 1 match - it’ll take quite a few. Women’s football used to be more popular than men’s 100 years ago drawing in massive crowds but then the war came which put a stop to it. After the war ended, women just went back to their roles (expected roles) at home and were kind of written out of footballs history. Men’s football then took over in term of popularity. The women’s football was kind of written out of the game and not reported or spoken about after this.This is why there is a push and investment into the women’s game now as it’s about time. Women have lost out to the men’s game for decades.

It is different to the men’s game and it’s upto the individual whether what they watch. What I would say though it - it’s the women’s World Cup this summer starting in July. The kick off times are funny because it’s in Australia and most matches will be between 9am-midday but if you’re not sure I’d say give it a go and see what you think. Wales are unfortunately not through but England lionesses are or you can choose another team to look out for. USA, Germany, Sweden, France and Spain are good teams alongside England. Canada and Brazil are also pretty good. Personally I’ll be following England womens as I like their manager. Sarina Wiegman is a real force but due to the vast amount of injuries to some of the best players I doubt England will win it but I’d be happy if they get to the Quarters!

It is possible to support a women’s team alongside the men’s as I do. Upto you though but I’d say pick a team a follow them for a while and see how you feel.

Good luck to the women's game, I'm all for it growing and offering opportunity.

The inflated coverage it gets does get a bit annoying but if there's money to be made then it will get put out there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Precisely. The way some people talk about women’s football you’d think they were somehow being force-fed it. It’s as if the notion of watching something else instead hadn’t occurred to them. I find it really strange. For whatever reason, it seems some feel threatened by it.
    Again completely missing the point.

I don't really get what the problem is. It's just Football, and we all like football, right? And seeing as the people who are playing it make up 50% of the worlds population who as men, we have a very close affinity with, then i can't see the problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Again completely missing the point.
    And what, dare I ask, is the point that I'm completely missing, oh great one?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Do I object to it ? No, but when the BBC used to read out the football results the Scottish Premiership came after League 2.
    But we weren't talking about Radio 2's Sports Report (which has finished). You were apparently taking umbrage at the BBC sport website listing WSL results ahead of Championship results (although that's not always the case). I merely asked whether you also object to Scottish Premiership results being listed ahead of Championship results.

Incidentally, Saturday's listings were Championship / Scottish Premiership / WSL:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...res/2023-05-27

SuperBluebirds91

For those who are interested or want to give it a go -

The women’s champions league final is on 3rd June Barcelona Femeni v Vfl Wolfsburg Ladies but Ithink it’s on DAZN tv so not sure if you have to pay etc.

For me the world cup is the big one starting from 20th July - 20th August (kick off times will prob be early in the day due to it being hosted by Australia and New Zealand).

Maybe only things that appeal to middle aged white straight men should be on the TV?
    like women's beach volleyball

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    naked women gravy wrestling
    Custard is more appealing to me.

One of my boys coaches plays for City women. The girls are star stuck around her, having accessible role models is huge for them.

More visibility of the game and the friendly atmosphere is bringing people into football. Win win all round.

Great to see the women's game doing better. Girls have as much right to enjoy the beautiful game as we do but do agree the coverage is out of line with the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBluebirds91 View Post
    I actually prefer women’s football to watching championship men’s. It’s a lot cleaner - you haven’t got players rolling all over the floor or arguing with the ref constantly. It’s much more respectful. They are a higher level of skill (not power) than the championship IMO. Just to mention the match that the OP watched was top against the bottom and there’s quite a difference in the quality there - defensively they were probably made to look dreadful. I don’t think you can make up your mind after watching just 1 match - it’ll take quite a few. Women’s football used to be more popular than men’s 100 years ago drawing in massive crowds but then the war came which put a stop to it. After the war ended, women just went back to their roles (expected roles) at home and were kind of written out of footballs history. Men’s football then took over in term of popularity. The women’s football was kind of written out of the game and not reported or spoken about after this.This is why there is a push and investment into the women’s game now as it’s about time. Women have lost out to the men’s game for decades.

It is different to the men’s game and it’s upto the individual whether what they watch. What I would say though it - it’s the women’s World Cup this summer starting in July. The kick off times are funny because it’s in Australia and most matches will be between 9am-midday but if you’re not sure I’d say give it a go and see what you think. Wales are unfortunately not through but England lionesses are or you can choose another team to look out for. USA, Germany, Sweden, France and Spain are good teams alongside England. Canada and Brazil are also pretty good. Personally I’ll be following England womens as I like their manager. Sarina Wiegman is a real force but due to the vast amount of injuries to some of the best players I doubt England will win it but I’d be happy if they get to the Quarters!

It is possible to support a women’s team alongside the men’s as I do. Upto you though but I’d say pick a team a follow them for a while and see how you feel.
    Good post, the women’s game was banned for about fifty years after that spell you mentioned where they were getting huge crowds - I think it was 1972 when the ban was lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Good post, the women’s game was banned for about fifty years after that spell you mentioned where they were getting huge crowds - I think it was 1972 when the ban was lifted.
    1972. Around the same time the sales of irons and hoovers started their decline..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    1972. Around the same time the sales of irons and hoovers started their decline..
    Yep, football’s got a lot to answer for hasn’t it.

I actually much prefer watching Women's tennis to the Men's game. A lot more variety in the play and way less predictable.

Woman champion in the Cheese Rolling!

https://www.theguardian.com/food/202...ng-knocked-out

Although ivortheengine is convinced the wrong genitals have undermined the importance of this sporting achievement.