+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Very OT - advice needed

Very OT - advice needed

My wife's brother passed away yesterday, haven't got a clue what we need to do.
    He had learning difficulties, and almost certainly didn't make a will.
    Though he has no property, he hardly spent anything and I was surprised to learn that he has about £17k in his bank.

He has another sister and brother, but they live a long way off so it's all down to me and Mrs bob to do everything.

Any pointers please?

Re: Very OT - advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    My wife's brother passed away yesterday, haven't got a clue what we need to do.
    He had learning difficulties, and almost certainly didn't make a will.
    Though he has no property, he hardly spent anything and I was surprised to learn that he has about £17k in his bank.

He has another sister and brother, but they live a long way off so it's all down to me and Mrs bob to do everything.

Any pointers please?
    Almost everything you will need to consider is here

https://www.gov.uk/after-a-death

It is almost a one-stop shop to notify all the parties that need telling. Once you have the death certificate you should go to the bank where his assets are. They should then let you access to his account to draw down legitimate funeral expenses.

I would start with the You.Gov site and work through the guidance on estate valuation and applying for probate.

https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will

Citizens Advice also do good on line guidance.

It looks like your wife and her brother and sister will inherit a third each of whatever there is - but someone has to do the leg work.

Sorry for your loss.
    I would advise speaking to a solicitor as well as the above. If you need a contact in South Wales let me know and I can put you in touch with someone. We are going through probate currently as my mum left a will. Unfortunately not with my firm of solicitors so it’s not going remotely quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Sorry for your loss.
    I would advise speaking to a solicitor as well as the above. If you need a contact in South Wales let me know and I can put you in touch with someone. We are going through probate currently as my mum left a will. Unfortunately not with my firm of solicitors so it’s not going remotely quickly.
    expect anything up to a year to get sorted

Yes when my father in law died it took about 12 mths to sort his estate out as he had no will.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Almost everything you will need to consider is here

https://www.gov.uk/after-a-death

..... Once you have the death certificate you should go to the bank where his assets are. They should then let you access to his account to draw down legitimate funeral expenses.
    They won't unless Grant of Probate has been issued and then the EXECUTOR of the estate needs to do this. It is also paying a small extra to get several copies of Death Certificate and Gtrant of Probate....else you will be going round each contact/firm one by one...taking weeks each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    They won't unless Grant of Probate has been issued and then the EXECUTOR of the estate needs to do this. It is also paying a small extra to get several copies of Death Certificate and Gtrant of Probate....else you will be going round each contact/firm one by one...taking weeks each time.
    Most banks will allow money to be released for funeral costs.

The doctor who signs the Medical Certificate of Death will pass this to the registrar who will contact you to arrange an appointment.

In the mean time get three quotes from funeral directors (unless you already have one in mind).

Tell your funeral director that there are sufficient funds in the bank and that the payment will come out of the account.

The bank will need a draft copy of the invoice which they can pay via BACS.

If all the family are happy for you to make the arrangements whoever signs the estimate will be the client.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    expect anything up to a year to get sorted
    We’re about 6 months in so far

you'll need to inform HMRC even if no IHT is payable.

use the tell us once service.

Thanks for the replies.
    I think we have a plan now.