+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a solution that would bring an immediate end to the transfer embargo?

Re: Is there a solution that would bring an immediate end to the transfer embargo?

I must say that after 3 years of reading literally 100's of 'ITK' posts on this matter [including a few of my own], this is the most succinct and informative summary of the situation. Thank you.

First Team

Re: Is there a solution that would bring an immediate end to the transfer embargo?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I must say that after 3 years of reading literally 100's of 'ITK' posts on this matter [including a few of my own], this is the most succinct and informative summary of the situation. Thank you.
    Totally agree. Very informative.

Sadly, it makes Cardiff City seem like a sitcom/soap opera in which the main actors are either nefarious or catastrophically incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    Cardiff City and its owner and directors made several errors throughout the whole matter of the Emiliano Sala transfer, including the following

1. Allowing Neil Warnock to promote and push for the transfer in the first place with his friend Willie McKay because the transfer fee was well above what Nantes were expecting from the deal and the salary being offered to Sala was 4 times what he was being paid by Nantes. No-one at the club had the football knowledge to spot this straight away or ,if they did, failed to prevent the deal happening

2. In addition to the over inflated fee and wages the club knew (or most certainly should have known with about 5 minutes of research) that Willie McKay was not a licenced intermediary and was also subject to a 5 year bankruptcy. Neil Warnock certainly knew as he had previous experience of dealing with the McKay family - with Willie at QPR and with his son at CCFC (Sol Bamba`s agent was McKay`s son`s company which subsequently went into liquidation in the Scottish courts)

3. The club made an error in the transfer agreement with Nantes by not having a clause that said the transfer fee only became payable when Sala`s contract terms were accepted by all the football authorities for all competitions that CCFC played in. The CAS ruling notes show that the Premier League (in which we were playing at the time) said that some of the contract terms were unacceptable to them but he tragically died before the necessary adjustments could be made. Again an example of football contract details knowledge which the club didn`t have.

4. Despite being given warning of a deadline, the club appeared to miss a payment before that deadline lapsed

After all of the above is said , there is a large degree of unfairness(in my opinion) in the EFL decision to impose a three window transfer restriction even if the club pays the rest of the transfer fee due to Nantes. The specific breach which the club is being penalised for is to prevent clubs failing to pay for a player who enhances their playing squad. For tragic reasons the club could never have gained such a playing advantage and this , as I understand it, is the basis of the club`s appeal to the EFL to have the decision reversed.
    With such a level of incompetence being the hallmark of both the club's management structure and culture, what hope is there Cardiff City can avoid falling into the football abyss?