+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Championship 2023 / 2024.

Championship 2023 / 2024.

Almost EPL 2. Only five clubs I think who have not been Premier League.

Birmingham
    Blackburn
    Bristol City
    Cardiff
    Coventry
    Huddersfield
    Hull
    Ipswich
    Leeds
    Leicester
    Middlesbrough
    Millwall
    Norwich
    Plymouth
    Preston
    QPR
    Rotherham
    Sheffield W
    Southampton
    Sunderland
    Stoke
    Swansea
    Watford
    West Brom

Re: Championship 2023 / 2024.

and only Plymouth and Rotherham who haven't been in 1st Division/top flight

3 teams worse than us ?

Mmmmm

I cannot see one team worse than us...

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet of Doom View Post
    I cannot see one team worse than us...
    Well we don't know how things are going to be but so far things are not encouraging

Possibly Hull, QPR , Rotherham

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well we don't know how things are going to be but so far things are not encouraging

Possibly Hull, QPR , Rotherham
    Hull? They finished 15th last season, 9 points clear of us and beat us home and away. Seem to have money behind them too

SkyBet currently have City ranked at 18th. They believe the following will six clubs will finish below the Bluebirds:

Bristol City
    Plymouth
    Preston
    QPR
    Huddersfield
    Rotherham

Sheffield Wednesday are not very good and have an ageing side. If they don't strengthen significantly in the summer I reckon they'll be in trouble.

There's always points deductions to come to our rescue..........

Little doubt we need to sort manager out and strengthen squad urgently otherwise we will be in big trouble. Looks like a strong league this year.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    SkyBet currently have City ranked at 18th. They believe the following will six clubs will finish below the Bluebirds:

Bristol City
    Plymouth
    Preston
    QPR
    Huddersfield
    Rotherham

Sheffield Wednesday are not very good and have an ageing side. If they don't strengthen significantly in the summer I reckon they'll be in trouble.
    Be very surprised if Plymouth finish below us

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Be very surprised if Plymouth finish below us
    They're only making wild guesses at this stage as nobody knows what the various squads are going to look like when the season begins, but I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind placing Bristol City and Preston below Cardiff in the betting on this season's evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Almost EPL 2. Only five clubs I think who have not been Premier League.

Birmingham
    Blackburn
    Bristol City
    Cardiff
    Coventry
    Huddersfield
    Hull
    Ipswich
    Leeds
    Leicester
    Middlesbrough
    Millwall
    Norwich
    Plymouth
    Preston
    QPR
    Rotherham
    Sheffield W
    Southampton
    Sunderland
    Stoke
    Swansea
    Watford
    West Brom
    We'll finish above;
    • Coventry
    • Huddersfield
    • Hull
    • Ipswich
    • Plymouth
    • QPR
    • Sheff Wed

Positivity starts before the season begins

The standard was pretty crap last season apart from a couple of teams. I see no reason why it'll be much different next season. We do need to be better, and there's no sign of that happening at the moment, but I don't think we'll need to be massively better to at least stay up.

Impossible to tell until we start the season, let’s see what happens. Unimpressed by Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    3 teams worse than us ?

Mmmmm
    I don't see anything in the three teams that have come up. Other than Ipswich and Sheff Wed being big "names", I think they'll have some work to do to stay up.

Bristol City
    Plymouth
    Preston
    QPR
    Huddersfield
    Rotherham

It's usually the same. Bigger names get more money put on them.

Ipswich got 98 points and Sheff Weds 96 in L1.

We wouldnt get anywhere near that with our squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I don't see anything in the three teams that have come up. Other than Ipswich and Sheff Wed being big "names", I think they'll have some work to do to stay up.
    You don't see anything in 3 teams that managed almost 300 points between them this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Ipswich got 98 points and Sheff Weds 96 in L1.

We wouldnt get anywhere near that with our squad.
    Is that to do with the strength of those sides or the rest of the division?

This season's top 4 won more points between them than any other season in the 3rd tier's history (since 3 points for a win). By the same token, this season's bottom 4 are one of the worst in terms of points won.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    You don't see anything in 3 teams that managed almost 300 points between them this season?
    I've had a look at some of the seasons where the points tally of the top 4/6 have been at their highest.

The second best was in 2013/14 when Wolves and Brentford both finished in the top 7. The fourth best was in 2018/19 when Barnsley went down and Luton and Charlton finished 19th and 21st respectively.

The lowest points tally of the top 6 saw Colchester finish top half and Southend relegated.

I don't buy too much into how many points they won.

I know we say it every year but this really does look like the strongest Championship in some time.

But then I'm also pretty sure there's three worse teams than us in there (assuming we don't **** up the transfer window).

It's also the least excited / optimistic I'll be going into a season since can't remember when. A long time. It's going to be shit. New manager feels even more important because there's no way we can get enough good players on board for a playoff push. Not even mid table. It's 18th and below for us and it's never been more obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I've had a look at some of the seasons where the points tally of the top 4/6 have been at their highest.

The second best was in 2013/14 when Wolves and Brentford both finished in the top 7. The fourth best was in 2018/19 when Barnsley went down and Luton and Charlton finished 19th and 21st respectively.

The lowest points tally of the top 6 saw Colchester finish top half and Southend relegated.

I don't buy too much into how many points they won.
    Sides that get to, or very close to, a hundred points can be very strong, but it can also mean that the opposition was weaker than normal. This season’s League One strikes me more as being a weak division rather than the top three being outstanding. As for the teams coming down, Southampton’s points tally is low, Leicester will probably look a lot different come the autumn than they do now and Leeds will need to get a manager with plenty of Championship experience I feel. Nevertheless, it’s hard to see us being competitive in a strong or a weak Championship if the current sense of drift is allowed to continue much longer.

Mate of mine in work is from Stoke he reckons they are going to struggle next season

They're only making wild guesses at this stage as nobody knows what the various squads are going to look like when the season begins, but I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind placing Bristol City and Preston below Cardiff in the betting on this season's evidence.
    I doubt there's much reasoning behind the odds at this stage. It will mostly be a popularity contest and with so little money on the market even low stakes coming in on us from DML will likely cut our odds a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sides that get to, or very close to, a hundred points can be very strong, but it can also mean that the opposition was weaker than normal. This season’s League One strikes me more as being a weak division rather than the top three being outstanding. As for the teams coming down, Southampton’s points tally is low, Leicester will probably look a lot different come the autumn than they do now and Leeds will need to get a manager with plenty of Championship experience I feel. Nevertheless, it’s hard to see us being competitive in a strong or a weak Championship if the current sense of drift is allowed to continue much longer.
    Undoubtedly. Our destiny is in our own hands, which is more than a bit worrying. Debating whether the Championship will be stronger or weaker (as happens every year) is like two bald guys fighting over a comb. If we're shit next season we go down, regardless.