+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Championship 2023 / 2024.

Re: Championship 2023 / 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I doubt there's much reasoning behind the odds at this stage. It will mostly be a popularity contest and with so little money on the market even low stakes coming in on us from DML will likely cut our odds a bit.
    I just put 2p on us winning the championship and now we're 1/11 on favourites

I'll go for it then. This is not my predicted 1st - 24th, just whether they're be challenging for promotion or fighting against relegation

Top 8
    Blackburn
    Leeds
    Leicester
    Middlesbrough
    Norwich
    Ipswich
    Southampton
    West Brom

Middle 8
    Coventry
    Millwall
    Preston
    Sheffield W
    Sunderland
    Stoke
    Swansea
    Watford

Bottom 8
    Birmingham
    Bristol City
    Cardiff
    Huddersfield
    Hull
    Plymouth
    QPR
    Rotherham

Not a bad stab at it.Hard to disagree with your choices but there's always surprises.

I think Coventry might do a Huddersfield and fall of a cliff.

Think Des' Top 8 are spot on. Can maaaybe see Sunderland sneaking in if they don't struggle with injuries like they did last season.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Not a bad stab at it.Hard to disagree with your choices but there's always surprises.
    My surprise choice will be Watford. I know I've put them in the middle group but I just have a feeling they could be in free fall and fighting relegation.

Birmingham starting on minus 2. Don't think that's a problem but they're also in that verge of collapse mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    My surprise choice will be Watford. I know I've put them in the middle group but I just have a feeling they could be in free fall and fighting relegation.

Birmingham starting on minus 2. Don't think that's a problem but they're also in that verge of collapse mode.
    Birmingham's points deduction is suspended. It won't be applied at all if they behave themselves.

https://www.bcfc.com/news/club/club-statement-may-2023

The Club has cooperated fully with the EFL throughout the investigation and has accepted a two-point deduction, suspended until the end of the 2023/24 season. The suspended deduction will only come into effect upon any future breach of the OADT before the end of next season. In addition, the Club will make a contribution to the EFL’s costs of the investigation.

It would be great to get a decent manager in , a few journeymen and finish mid table , upsetting a few of the big boys on the way

But I think bottom 6 is most likely and we deffo are poor enough at present to be relegated

It's difficult to see how City are going to be better this season than last. We were fortunate with a number of loanees but that may easily change next time out.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It would be great to get a decent manager in , a few journeymen and finish mid table , upsetting a few of the big boys on the way

But I think bottom 6 is most likely and we deffo are poor enough at present to be relegated
    Don't think I've seen anyone call for a team to sign journeymen before

Regardless they're the last thing we need and our reliance on overpaid, over the hill journeymen got us into this mess

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Regardless they're the last thing we need and our reliance on overpaid, over the hill journeymen got us into this mess
    Journeymen like bothroyd

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

We need to be identifying young talented players and developing our own young players.

Not old journeymen with no sell on value.

I dont mind the odd older head on a 1 year deal to keep us up but unless we start bringing through players with sell on values we are going to further and further into debt.

The club isnt sustainable in its current format. In fact its a total joke on and off the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I'll go for it then. This is not my predicted 1st - 24th, just whether they're be challenging for promotion or fighting against relegation

Top 8
    Blackburn
    Leeds
    Leicester
    Middlesbrough
    Norwich
    Ipswich
    Southampton
    West Brom

Middle 8
    Coventry
    Millwall
    Preston
    Sheffield W
    Sunderland
    Stoke
    Swansea
    Watford

Bottom 8
    Birmingham
    Bristol City
    Cardiff
    Huddersfield
    Hull
    Plymouth
    QPR
    Rotherham
    Mostly makes sense, I'm not familiar enough with the 3 promoted sides to comment on those really, but on paper at least I'm not sure Wednesday look that great.

I know a few who think that Blackburn are going to struggle this year, so that will be an interesting one.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

We need pace. We have to sign 3 or 4 players that are quick. Hopefully one in midfield, one or two out wide and one up top. We are the most one paced side in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Mostly makes sense, I'm not familiar enough with the 3 promoted sides to comment on those really, but on paper at least I'm not sure Wednesday look that great.

I know a few who think that Blackburn are going to struggle this year, so that will be an interesting one.
    Wednesday got 96 points this season, they'll be fine. They'll add to it but they win games. Bannan and Windass walk into our side, to be fair I'd take Smith too. Plymouth are going to lose a few players (loans ending and Ennis has going to Blackburn) so they might be the ones to struggle. Ipswich will be top half, easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Wednesday got 96 points this season, they'll be fine. They'll add to it but they win games. Bannan and Windass walk into our side, to be fair I'd take Smith too. Plymouth are going to lose a few players (loans ending and Ennis has going to Blackburn) so they might be the ones to struggle. Ipswich will be top half, easy.
    Lots of their main players are the wrong side of 30 though they might still be fine, or they might suddenly drop off a cliff performance wise, or just start to pick up a lot of injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Lots of their main players are the wrong side of 30 though they might still be fine, or they might suddenly drop off a cliff performance wise, or just start to pick up a lot of injuries.
    That's a lot of ifs. They got 96 points. They'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I think Coventry might do a Huddersfield and fall of a cliff.

Think Des' Top 8 are spot on. Can maaaybe see Sunderland sneaking in if they don't struggle with injuries like they did last season.
    I'd like to retract this statement. I thought they would lose Gyökeres and Hamer and be screwed but they are getting in some good signings nice and early.