+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hard done by when in the premier league

SuperBluebirds91

Hard done by when in the premier league

Does anyone feel that we were really hard done by on our last 2 premier league campaigns. I mean there’s the obvious where decisions seem to be given to the giant clubs time and time again but I’m not really referring to that. The first time I genuinely believe that Malky would have kept us up. Although we were in and out or near relegation area for most of the season we just seemed to have these moments where we got results and I’m pretty convinced we would have survived. Then Malky did something stupid (texts etc) was caught and got sacked. We were unfortunate that we lost a great manager due to his stupidity really. I for one was gutted I really liked him and felt let down. That said the decision that the board made next was the wrong one!

Then we go up with Warnock against a lot of odds. He is a great manager whatever anyone says about him he certainly knows how to get promoted without a luxurious squad. Again we were around the relegation area but I do believe that we would have just scrapped survival because I know what warnock is like. Then tragedy struck with Sala’s plane crashing - a player lost his life is such awful circumstances and I just don’t think Warnock ever really got over it. I don’t think any manager would have. He lost his way abit after this and we went down.

Both times though it is always the decision that the board made next which was the wrong one - easy to say in hindsight I know but we were extremely unlucky not to stay up on both occasions. Let’s hope 3rd time lucky (for the premier league) if and when we do go up. P.s. I’m not expecting a promotion anytime soon though.

Re: Hard done by when in the premier league

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBluebirds91 View Post
    Does anyone feel that we were really hard done by on our last 2 premier league campaigns. I mean there’s the obvious where decisions seem to be given to the giant clubs time and time again but I’m not really referring to that. The first time I genuinely believe that Malky would have kept us up. Although we were in and out or near relegation area for most of the season we just seemed to have these moments where we got results and I’m pretty convinced we would have survived. Then Malky did something stupid (texts etc) was caught and got sacked. We were unfortunate that we lost a great manager due to his stupidity really. I for one was gutted I really liked him and felt let down. That said the decision that the board made next was the wrong one!

Then we go up with Warnock against a lot of odds. He is a great manager whatever anyone says about him he certainly knows how to get promoted without a luxurious squad. Again we were around the relegation area but I do believe that we would have just scrapped survival because I know what warnock is like. Then tragedy struck with Sala’s plane crashing - a player lost his life is such awful circumstances and I just don’t think Warnock ever really got over it. I don’t think any manager would have. He lost his way abit after this and we went down.

Both times though it is always the decision that the board made next which was the wrong one - easy to say in hindsight I know but we were extremely unlucky not to stay up on both occasions. Let’s hope 3rd time lucky (for the premier league) if and when we do go up. P.s. I’m not expecting a promotion anytime soon though.
    Don't think we had many grounds to complain about bad luck first time around - that was all self inflicted for me and I still say only David Marshall on the playing and administration side could look themselves in the mirror and say they had a good 13/14 season.

Second time around was a bit different I feel - I have my own, mainly critical, thoughts on how the club acted with the Emiliano Sala tragedy, but, it would be churlish in the extreme not to concede that what happened must have made the job of avoiding relegation all the tougher. I'd also say that what happened in the Chelsea was does to incompetence on the official's part and must be seen as bad luck for us. I still tend to think that you finish where you deserve to in the league table (unless points deductions are involved), but I agree, luck was against us, to a degree, in 18/19.

Talksport did a phone-in session on how we were screwed by 14 (?) bad decisions in the second campaign - and they hate us!

I don't think luck or hate is in the mix , money and how wisely you spend it is the critical point .

We were naive under
    Malky, he then made poor decesions? especially on the striker front . I would have kept Rudy for example , he treated some of the older promotion squad players badly. As soon as it started going wrong under MM the managers attitude followed the same , leading to a face saving ( fan sympathetic ) sacking for him, strange he has never really delivered success elsewhere.

Warnock year was both astonishing and cruel , he in my humble opinion deserved more credit ,and is the better manager of the two , dealing with ( nearly ) staying up and Sala must if been awfully tough for him and the club.

Referees will always bottle decesions in favour of the bigger clubs and managers ,simply
    remembering the terminology ' Fergie time ' is the best example of that bottling .

Wish we had VAR ???

Still would have gone down the following year though in my humble opinion as we needed money and cash and a big chunk of that was swallowed into a very tradegic event that still haunts us .

To me,the second time in the PL, the loss against Burnley at home was the worst result as we battered them throughout the game, and yet they had 2 chances, which they scored and we lost 2-1. As I walked away from the stadium that day, it emphasised the difference between the PL and Championship. The Chelsea result was obviously hard to take after seeing the dreadful decision, and the possibility of the Chelsea defender getting a red card but it didn’t mean we’d have won that game, it could have ended up a draw.

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I don't think luck or hate is in the mix , money and how wisely you spend it is the critical point .

We were naive under
    Malky, he then made poor decesions? especially on the striker front . I would have kept Rudy for example , he treated some of the older promotion squad players badly. As soon as it started going wrong under MM the managers attitude followed the same , leading to a face saving ( fan sympathetic ) sacking for him, strange he has never really delivered success elsewhere.

Warnock year was both astonishing and cruel , he in my humble opinion deserved more credit ,and is the better manager of the two , dealing with ( nearly ) staying up and Sala must if been awfully tough for him and the club.

Referees will always bottle decesions in favour of the bigger clubs and managers ,simply
    remembering the terminology ' Fergie time ' is the best example of that bottling .

Wish we had VAR ???

Still would have gone down the following year though in my humble opinion as we needed money and cash and a big chunk of that was swallowed into a very tradegic event that still haunts us .
    We'd have stayed up if we'd stuck with Malky and we would have stayed up if Sala hadn't boarded that plane, sliding door moments certainly changed our history.

We have another one now, I'm pretty sure they will feck it up and give the Managers job to Bamba or someone just as bad and we will be relegated, if the owners and board keep making stupid mistakes we will only keep getting worse.

Or could they suddenly think, do you know what, this manager's job decision will determine our long term future, and get one decision right for once? I'm not holding my breath!

I really thought we were going down with Malky, we were getting worse and worse and thought he should have been sacked before all the text stuff came out, Villa away I wanted him gone where we didn’t even try and win the game. issue was replacing him with Ole. It’s just a shame we spent so much money after promotion with the wrong manager wasting it.

Under Warnock the opposite, we probably did Better than I expected considering the amount spent. I do wonder what if we had got something from that Chelsea game or if Sala signing had a different out come.

It was the Burnley and Chelsea games that did for us in our second attempt at PL survival.

We had decisions go against us in both campaigns. Both Gerrard and Rooney should have been sent off when we played them at our place, but the refs bottled it. The same with the the season under Warnock such as the Chelsea game.

Under Warnock, the one game that sticks in my mind is Fulham away. We were absolutely shocking and you would have thought that they were fighting for survival and we were already down. The team that Warnock picked, along with bringing Rhys Healey on for Camarassa, was strange to say the least. After that game we got what we deserved.

Like others have said we can all identify the sins against us like the Azpilicueta goal. In reality it was probably balanced out by Bamba's last minute goal against 10 man Brighton which was offside. I'm with Neilw65. The game against a doomed Fulham was truly awful and taking three points from a meaningless pressure-free last game against Man Utd probably flattered us after another poor performance vs Palace when it still mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Like others have said we can all identify the sins against us like the Azpilicueta goal. In reality it was probably balanced out by Bamba's last minute goal against 10 man Brighton which was offside. I'm with Neilw65. The game against a doomed Fulham was truly awful and taking three points from a meaningless pressure-free last game against Man Utd probably flattered us after another poor performance vs Palace when it still mattered.
    Aye, that game against Fulham was awful, seemed Warnock had given up when he brought on Rhys Healey before Bobby Reid !

No. I thought that Tan interfered to devastating effect the first time and that we were ill-prepared and mismanaged the second.

We would have always ended back in the Champ with Tan at the helm.

We fluked it, twice. We haven't got proper long term planning in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    We fluked it, twice.
    Going up as champions is hardly fluking it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I really thought we were going down with Malky, we were getting worse and worse and thought he should have been sacked before all the text stuff came out, Villa away I wanted him gone where we didn’t even try and win the game. issue was replacing him with Ole. It’s just a shame we spent so much money after promotion with the wrong manager wasting it.

Under Warnock the opposite, we probably did Better than I expected considering the amount spent. I do wonder what if we had got something from that Chelsea game or if Sala signing had a different out come.
    Spot on. I think this was the game we got beat 0-2 where Bacuna scored with a free kick for them. The game was there for the taking and Malky played for the draw. I lost my confidence in him after that.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Spot on. I think this was the game we got beat 0-2 where Bacuna scored with a free kick for them. The game was there for the taking and Malky played for the draw. I lost my confidence in him after that.
    That was the one

I never rated Malky

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    That was the one

I never rated Malky
    Got us to a league cup final after inheriting a threadbare squad with virtually all of its stars gone. Won promotion with one of the best winning runs in the club's history.

He was useless in the PL, far too negative, but there are lots of good memories of his earlier times with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    It was the Burnley and Chelsea games that did for us in our second attempt at PL survival.
    Absolutely, not the failure to beat mid-table sides at home, or the fact we lost 9 out of 11 after the win at Southampton, or winning 1 of our first 11 games.

We could also look at the blunder that led to Paterson's winner against Southampton, the offside winner against Brighton, a late worldy from Hoilett against Wolves and a penalty save and Camarasa worldy that gave us an undeserved win at Leicester.

We weren't good enough throughout the entire season. Sala wouldn't have made much difference as we couldn't create chances. We were half reliant on some brilliant goals or a lucky break in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Got us to a league cup final after inheriting a threadbare squad with virtually all of its stars gone. Won promotion with one of the best winning runs in the club's history.

He was useless in the PL, far too negative, but there are lots of good memories of his earlier times with us.
    Totally agree.

Both times we have been promoted we should have replaced the manager. Especially when they decided Malky was being given the biggest transfer budget a promoted team had ever had, should have got a manager to handle it.

I was at that Villa game as well although the comments about the game being there for the taking had me wondering if I was for a sec. My memory was that we weren’t going to score in a month of Sunday’s in that game. Also, absolutely no one knows for sure what would have happened if Mackay would have stayed, but we did have most of the teams at the bottom to play at home when he left and they were the sort of games we’d managed 1-0 wins in with Mackay in charge (eg Swansea and West Brom) - we, somehow, managed to beat Norwich then an awful Fulham team under Ole, but the likes of a ten man West Ham, Hull and Palace walked all over us and would Sunderland have scored those two late goals with Mackay in charge?

I watched the Under the Cosh episode with Steven Caulker recently where he said Gary Medel virtually downed tools once Mackay left and there was an inference that others did as well - I reckon we’d have definitely.got more points that season if Mackay had stayed, whether we’d have stayed up, I honestly don’t know and neither does anyone else.

We’ll always have the Man City win, Mutch winner and THAT Camarasa goal.